Clay bar help please!!!

Black Venom-'04

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guy's quick question wanted to clay bar my truck, i got alot of little imperfections in the paint...but i have no idea how to do it ....could really use some advice from the all knowing members of the VTCOA:D ...me and my pop's are about to change the oil lines on my truck :rock: then i was going to do the clay bar ...what typh of bar and how do i do it ? if you got some tip thanks :rock: :rock:

I use meguirs clay bar kit, involves a spray, clay bar and microfiber cloth. washt the truck thoroughly and then dry, then you want to spray the area you are working on keep wet you want the clay bar to glide across the paint, when it slows or sticks spray some more, I kneaded the clay about every 5-10 seconds, I find a new rough surface on the clay cleans faster, keep going in an area until it glides without slowing stopping, I waxed the truck immediately after washing. Good luck, it will take a few hours at least . the cleaner you can get it before you start the easier it will be.

RB04 said:
I use meguirs clay bar kit, involves a spray, clay bar and microfiber cloth. washt the truck thoroughly and then dry, then you want to spray the area you are working on keep wet you want the clay bar to glide across the paint, when it slows or sticks spray some more, I kneaded the clay about every 5-10 seconds, I find a new rough surface on the clay cleans faster, keep going in an area until it glides without slowing stopping, I waxed the truck immediately after washing. Good luck, it will take a few hours at least . the cleaner you can get it before you start the easier it will be.

:dito:

Let the clay do it's job, you don't need to muscle it. Just use ample quick detail spray which is included in the Meguiars kit. You'll feel friction once you spray an area and start claying. That is the clay pulling up the bonded contaminants. Also, as previously stated, make sure to knead the clay often, you'll see what it's picking up. Once your paint is smooth, you're done, move on to another section. Typically the bumper, hood, top and bulge of quarter panels and wing are the worst areas. Most others require little clay work depending on how many miles and driving conditions.

Don't worry about it, you're not gonna screw anything up with the megs kit or put swirl marks in your paint. It's super easy.:D

Black Venom-'04 said:
Hey guy's quick question wanted to clay bar my truck, i got alot of little imperfections in the paint...but i have no idea how to do it ....could really use some advice from the all knowing members of the VTCOA:D ...me and my pop's are about to change the oil lines on my truck :rock: then i was going to do the clay bar ...what typh of bar and how do i do it ? if you got some tip thanks :rock: :rock:

What type of imperfections do you have? If you're referring to scratches, swirl marks, etc, clay bar will most likely not remove them unless they're extremely minor and even that is not likely if you use the Megs kit.

I just got finished doing this. Horizontal surfaces collect more junk. I found the clay bar picked up a lot of stuff off the back bumper. Vertical surfaces just took a quick swipe. You can actually see the clay bar turning color with the stuff it's cleaning off the truck. As said, keep folding the clay over to bring up fresh clay. I was skeptical, but it works.

I clay bar'd mine recently and did just as Eli said....works like a charm and you can instantly feel the difference in your paint....It should be smooth as glass when your done....oh and make sure you wax it right after...I used rejex!

Gonna be one late night for you :D

i didnt, i used two micro fiber towels to wipe it off while clay bar'ing it.....

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back