Clutch Hydraulics History?

FastRam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After a crappy day today, the fitting end came when I had my truck towed to my dealer. After a long and trying commute, I finally made it back to my truck, jumped in, pushed in the clutch, slid it into neutral and fired it up. As I pushed in the clutch I thought, hmm, that was a nice and easy pedal depress. After the truck fired, I pushed the clutch in and out several times. No pedal, spongy, straight to the floor with little effort. Well this wasn't going to be good. Opened the hood and removed the cap from the clutch reservoir, looked in, didn't see any fluid at the top. Took my index finger and checked it -- reservoir was dry as dry can be. I called my dealer and the Chrysler towing/motorist assistance numbers, set up an appointment for service tomorrow and had Chrysler tow my truck to the dealer gratis (courtesy of my 3/36 base warranty).

So are my clutch hydraulics history, reservoir, master cylinder, slave, all of the above? And where did the fluid go?

While I was waiting for the tow truck, I checked for leaking fluid, found none around the reservoir/cylinder, lines going to the slave or around the bell housing/engine and no drips on the concrete where I parked, no signs of splatter on the frame or surrounding surfaces. This morning the truck shifted and drove fine, not a problem one. The truck has 15.6K on the odo and I use it as a DD, including rush hour, bumper to bumper traffic. I don't abuse the vehicle or race it either. :dontknow: :dontknow:

Theres your problem, its needs abuse and racing...
Sounds like the slave cylinder has a small leak.

Slave is leaking, mine does it too. I have to add fluid bout once per year. Planning to upgrade to Viper hydraulics this winter.

FATJACK said:
Theres your problem, its needs abuse and racing...
Sounds like the slave cylinder has a small leak.

I should probably do this, then I'd have a root cause, lol...Leaking slave, wonderful. I know they are plastic and don't really handle racing or mod applications that well. But for petes sake all I do is drive the friggin thing back and forth to the subway station -- in traffic mostly. Maybe it is time for an "Italian Tune up", hehehe :burnout:

FastRam said:
I should probably do this, then I'd have a root cause, lol...Leaking slave, wonderful. I know they are plastic and don't really handle racing or mod applications that well. But for petes sake all I do is drive the friggin thing back and forth to the subway station -- in traffic mostly. Maybe it is time for an "Italian Tune up", hehehe :burnout:

Traffic=hot plastic slave cylinder-nuff said

kennygene said:
Traffic=hot plastic slave cylinder-nuff said

OK, I'll buy that and if that's the case then the Chrysler and SRT "guru" durability specs didn't consider the vehicle being used as a DD. That's a let down on a $50 grand plus vehicle...

I do have another question though, when hydraulic fluid is subjected to temperatures that exceed it's boiling point (or in this case burn...), will the odor be similar to a "skunk"? Sorry to ask this obscure question but if the odor is similar to this "scent" then I think I may have figured where my fluid went and when....

Last edited:
FastRam said:
OK, I'll buy that and if that's the case then the Chrysler and SRT "guru" durability specs didn't consider the vehicle being used as a DD. That's a let down on a $50 grand plus vehicle...

I do have another question though, when hydraulic fluid is subjected to temperatures that exceed it's boiling point (or in this case burn...), will the odor be similar to a "skunk"? Sorry to ask this obscure question but if the odor is similar to this "scent" then I think I may have figured where my fluid went and when....

I don't know about "skunk" it's never smelled that way to me. Boiling point is very high/ Hydraulic fluid just smells "burnt" but that wouldn't make sense to me in the clutch reservoir. Under hood temps don't get that high unless your reservoir is sitting on the header pipe. Then again, I don't have a clutch on my truck. But I've had a bunch of race cars. Color is a better indicator. Compare the color of the old stuff to new stuff on a white piece of paper. Burnt or dirty is much darker and easy to see. Again, I'm ignorant of all the problems of clutches on these trucks.

Cruster said:
I don't know about "skunk" it's never smelled that way to me. Boiling point is very high/ Hydraulic fluid just smells "burnt" but that wouldn't make sense to me in the clutch reservoir. Under hood temps don't get that high unless your reservoir is sitting on the header pipe. Then again, I don't have a clutch on my truck. But I've had a bunch of race cars. Color is a better indicator. Compare the color of the old stuff to new stuff on a white piece of paper. Burnt or dirty is much darker and easy to see. Again, I'm ignorant of all the problems of clutches on these trucks.

I was thinking about the slave cylinder down at the engine/trans. Here's my theory -- if the plastic slave is subjected to very high temps and weeps fluid slowly, it burns off when it comes in contact with the slave/trans housing. Over time, the fluid drains down from the reservoir, resulting in no clutch. If the fluid leaked slowly and burned off at the same time, this would explain the lacking presence of external fluid. Also I have noticed within the past week or so, the "smell" I tried to describe above has almost gone away or was not very distinguishable. And as a coincidence, now, my clutch is INOP.

Last edited:
My dealer just called and yes the slave is history. They ordered a new setup, should be here tomorrow or Friday. I asked the dealer if Chrysler made any improvements to the hydraulics -- to prevent or minimize these types of failures. An inconclusive answer was given that didn't answer my question. So it looks like I'll be in the market for a Viper hydraulics upgrade kit. I'd like to do the upgrade now but finances are being directed towards my Daughter's dental work...:(

the skunk smell is burnt clutch.I just recently replaced my clutch and slave had under 30 thou miles,the slave was leaking all around the cylinder to my surprise.

I had the exact same problem. When the bell housing was pulled off to replaced the hydraulics and clutch, the inside was wet with fluid. My truck has 25k on the clock and I replaced the entire set up and changed the flywheel to a new stock one as well.

There is very little fluid that goes into the hydraulic system for the clutch. Hard to find a leak until you have no clutch and need to pump the F outta it to just get moving.

popstoy said:
the skunk smell is burnt clutch.I just recently replaced my clutch and slave had under 30 thou miles,the slave was leaking all around the cylinder to my surprise.

I don't think I have an issue with the clutch disk or pressure plate but my dealer is checking that as well. Unless the fluid contaminated the clutch disk surfaces, maybe I have an issue and just don't know it? :dontknow: But like I said, the smell has gone away for at least a week or so and it just happens now my clutch hydraulics went away. Up to yesterday afternoon, before the hydraulics failed, the truck shifted fine, no problems at all.

I got the truck back yesterday, The original slave had a small, slow leak. Very little fluid or burnt fluid inside the bell housing. Clutch and pressure plate were OK as well, no fluid contamination. After 15.6K miles, I have a about 3/4 of the clutch left.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back