Clutch issues

RC_SRT-10

Reaction score
I hopped in the truck to drive to work and pressed the clutch and it just fell to the floor. There was almost no pressure on it. The only symptoms that I have had with the truck is two weeks ago I was going for change gears and when I pressed the clutch pedal nothing happened, so I pressed it again and it was fine and it never messed up again. Then yesterday morning the clutch had pressure on it and when I cranked the truck up it lurched back and died (I had it in reverse). I didn't have time to check anything out and I'm just wondering if I should go ahead and pick up replacement parts or try bleeding the system. I assume it still has the original fluids in it.

Try bleeding it first

yep, try bleeding it first (just make sure it doesn't run out of fluid while bleeding it). If that dont work, Disconnect the line from the tranny and press on the pedal. It should be rock hard if not than the Master Cylinder is to blame. If it is rock hard the Master is good but the Slave could be going out.

Thanks, is there any fluids you suggest I use for better reliability/longevity?

I bled the line and now it is hit or miss. It will work, however there is not the same pressure that it normally had. I will press it once and it will work. I press it again and it has pressure it just will not disengage the clutch.

No, I stayed under the truck for about 10 minutes while my girlfriend pumped the clutch and I never saw the first drop of fluid.

No, I stayed under the truck for about 10 minutes while my girlfriend pumped the clutch and I never saw the first drop of fluid.

You either have a bad master or air in system still. Like Sinus said, disconnect line at slave. (quick disconnect)
Go inside and press clutch pedal. If it's rock hard master is good and no air in lines. If pedal depresses, then master is bad or air in master.

This sounds silly but check it. Your master cylinder cap should have a rubber bladder in it. My first truck I had similar problems as yours, mine actually sucked that little rubber bladder down into the fluid resivior (spelling) and drove me bananas til I noticed what was going on.

Really bleed the system. Mine was like you were describing, it took a full fluid drain. After that about 8 bleeds through the bleeder.

I thought about creating a new thread but I think im going through the same problem.

I went to go leave from my neighborhood and the clutch pedal went straight to floor as I was about to make a left turn. Lucky for me I stopped because a Semi was coming and since the motor wasnt fully warmed up and I didnt want to hammer on it to get in from of the semi. That was prolly a smart move since I wouldnt have been able shift gears if I did turn in front of it and would have prolly been crushed in the rear.

Anyway, I stopped literally right on the line of the main road and was dead in the water. I tried to pump the clutch to see if it would go back to normal nothing. I pop the hood and and look in the master cylinder reservoir and it is dry. At this time one of my neighbor's help me push the thing back away from the main street which was easier then I thought it would be given this is a 5200 lb truck and I just filled it up with gas. lol

I had a friend bring me some DOT 4 brake fluid and i poured some him and was able to get enough pressure to engage my clutch and get it home where it sits. I havent looked at it in detail (had to get to work took my srt-6).

My question to you guys is this, is my master going out? Should I attempt to bleed it first or just have the master replace? Truck has 81k on it now, when it was apart for the motor rebuild I had a new clutch put in it.

The clutch going to floor has started happening once it got became cold, it has happen 3 times before but pumping would get it to go back and I wouldnt have any problems afterwards. What do I need to look for, ill be looking into this over the weekend since we will be upper 60's low 70's.

Also when replacing a clutch im assuming a shop would also have to bleed the master etc right? Im just wondering.

It happned to me. Your slave cylinder inside the transmission bell houseing is probably leaking. Bleed all the air out with fresh fluid. If you get the clutch working top off the fluid. Then keep an eye on the level to see if it drops. I would have to top mine off every 3 days or so. Eventually I could see the fluid dripping out the trans.

It happned to me. Your slave cylinder inside the transmission bell houseing is probably leaking. Bleed all the air out with fresh fluid. If you get the clutch working top off the fluid. Then keep an eye on the level to see if it drops. I would have to top mine off every 3 days or so. Eventually I could see the fluid dripping out the trans.

So you eventually had to replace your clutch hydraulic's right? I'l start with bleeding they system, it will prolly be a stop gap, time to order some upgraded hydraulic's. Who did you go with JMB, Roe, somebody else?

So you eventually had to replace your clutch hydraulic's right? I'l start with bleeding they system, it will prolly be a stop gap, time to order some upgraded hydraulic's. Who did you go with JMB, Roe, somebody else?

I got the stock slave & master cylinders. Lost the gasket under the cap so I had to buy the whole master to get a new one. Figured I had it so why not put it in.

So I bleed my clutch, dark contaminated brake fluid came out. It had chunks in it. Then I started seeing brake fluid coming from bottom of the transmission as I was bleeding meaning my slave cylinder is shot correct?

Unless that fluid is comin out the bleeder, yea it's shot. Time for the trans to come out.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back