Clutch Noise Normal?

FastRam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today, i was taking my truck to the dealer for service. I had the radio off and noticed a chatter or clap sound after I shiftted the truck and released the cluth pedal. It sounds like the pressure plate engaging the clutch, but not sure. I never heard this before or never paid attention to it. Anybody else notice this noise? Is it normal?

I've got a rattle in mine while I'm sitting at a stoplight in neutral with the clutch out. I figured it was the throwout bearing. As soon as I push on the clutch it goes away.

I brought this issue up with my Viper Tech today while I was at the dealer getting other work done. He personally never heard the noises I described (chatter/clap when the clutch is released after shifting), including trucks or cars. I told him I did a test to confirm the noise. He said, what did you do. At around 50 -- 55 mph in 5th gear, no throttle, I pushed the clutch in and released it. I heard what I think is the pressure pate re-engaging the clutch, hence the clatter/clap. I didn't try this at other speeds or gears. The best my Viper tech could tell me was keep an eye on it, listen for other noises or if shifting or performance went south bring it back. My truck has a little over 2400 miles on it and is lightly used. It has a B&M shifter in it but I ruled out shifter noise, I am used to that. Other than this issue, the truck shifts fine, no other problems. I guess this is a take it day by day deal.

Its your flywheel they tend to be a bit noisy especially if you have a lightened one they are even louder, you'll get that cement mixer sound but its normal. I'm sure someone else will chime in w/ a more in depth explanation.

Last edited:
JSL said:
Its your flywheel they tend to be a bit noisy especially if you have a lightened one they are even louder, you'll get that cement mixer sound but its normal. I'm sure someone else will chime in w/ a more in depth explanation.

Yep,

I have had this noise since I installed the Fidanza and Centerforce set up. Only hear it at idle though!! Still running strong after 40,000 miles!!:rock:

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back