clutch question

THEDAV

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many miles does a factory clutch normally last?

The other day i noticed that my clutch pedal wasn't as stiff as it was before, little bit more play, felt a little sloppy.

Maybe it needs an adjustment?

What do you guys suggest? I don't abuse my truck, it has 12k, and no obvious abuse by the previous owner.

Thanks in advance!

Over 100,000 miles and still working fine...One thing I did notice is there's very little volume to our clutch fluid and it tends to get pretty rank and in short order. I flush my clutch fluid at my 10K maint intervals and at each oil change I'll suck out fluid in the resv and replace with new. Takes all of 2 min to do so. My truck is certainly not babied but I've found slipping the clutch in hard launches gets you little to no benefits. Let the clutch out quickly then nail the throttle. Our V10 tq will do just fine.

Last edited:
THEDAV said:

The other day i noticed that my clutch pedal wasn't as stiff as it was before, little bit more play, felt a little sloppy.

What do you guys suggest? I don't abuse my truck, it has 12k, and no obvious abuse by the previous owner.

Thanks in advance!
first change out the clutch fluid to high temp, it normally will break down a bit with the heat, that will most likley fix your problem, but if it does start going away we got ya covered,

but most likly a fluid change to hi temp will fix your problem buddy

Nice, thanks guys.

If anyone else has anything to add it would be much appreciated!

personally, my stock clutch didn't last very long - but i drag raced it @ PIR too.... the fix for me was a centerforce clutch, upgraded hydraulics & the optional fidanza flywheel.... all good for 10k+ miles after that. :)

My original clutch lasted 10K miles....went thru a Centerforce in 20K miles...have a SPEC Stage III from JTS Venom Perf and it is by far the best hooking clutch out of the 3...

Ok, so I checked the reservior and it was almost empty!:(

This probably means I have a leak somewhere right?:confused:

I just need a temp fix because I'm putting it up for the winter in couple of days. Can I just add some hydro fluid or do I need do bleed it? or something else?

:questionmark: :questionmark: :questionmark:

Thanks in advance.

go ahead and refill, pump the pedal slowly , very slowly see if it does build up

if not it may need bleeding, but I have seen them get low for no reason at all

JTS VENOM PERFORMANCE said:
go ahead and refill, pump the pedal slowly , very slowly see if it does build up

if not it may need bleeding, but I have seen them get low for no reason at all

10 minutes of pumping slow and nothing. I'll have my shop bleed it.

Lame, now both my cars are in the shop:mad: :mad: :mad:

yup, done low enough to grab air bo, have them look at the bellousing, see if there is fluid there , most likly the slave cylinder is leaking

THEDAV said:
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

So what does it mean if there is fluid in there?
probably the slave cylinder will need replaced bud,
you may not even see any fluid, you may see dark black dust that looks more like grease in the bellhousing.

there may have been sepage , and wehn the fluid hit the clutch dust it will turn black and nasty, so keep an eye out for that also,

but try bleeding it first, adn then jsut keep an eye on the fluid level:)

I had the same issue, my slave cylinder was leaking very slightly, never actually saw fluid, just the black dust/dirt around bottom of bell housing. This caused the crappy feeling to the pedal.

FastSRT19 said:
I had the same issue, my slave cylinder was leaking very slightly, never actually saw fluid, just the black dust/dirt around bottom of bell housing. This caused the crappy feeling to the pedal.
that was jsut your numb foot from kicking too much arse!;)

THEDAV said:

Thanks in advance!
50,000+ on mine.

Ok, now I am really pissed. Somehow the clutch reservior cap got lost while at the shop!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

It seems you can't just buy a cap, you need the whole assembly. Anyone have any ideas? :dontknow:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back