Clutch Slave

SNAKEGUTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody wonder why the trucks came with a different slave then the car.

And wonder if big hp vipers need to upgrade the slave when they run the Mcleod?

If not wtf is the diff.:dontknow:

SNAKEGUTS said:
Anybody wonder why the trucks came with a different slave then the car.

And wonder if big hp vipers need to upgrade the slave when they run the Mcleod?

If not wtf is the diff.:dontknow:

The "why" question can be answered at the bottom line..... IOW to save money. It is and always has been a weak link in the (RC's) drivetrain and the engineers blew that one- BIG TIME.

All the trucks (RCs) should be upgraded to the clutch hydraulics system in the coupe. And the clutchlines should be sheilded. It is recommended (by some) to upgrade to 4 dot, too.... But that's a matter of some differing opinions. Also, using braided lines is a nice touch.

The overview has been that the plastic slave, proximity to heat sources and all causes a breakdown in the hydraulic fluid and is the source for overall failure of the clutch hydraulic system.

I don't know anything about "big vipers" as you call 'em.... But they do have clutch issues, too.

D

Here is what I don't get.

Why is the viper slave shorter then the truck slave.

Is the tranny not the same as the car tranny?

Is the clutch not the same as the car clutch?

You would think it would have been in dodge's best interest to use as much as the same parts possible.

Django said:
The "why" question can be answered at the bottom line..... IOW to save money. It is and always has been a weak link in the (RC's) drivetrain and the engineers blew that one- BIG TIME.

All the trucks (RCs) should be upgraded to the clutch hydraulics system in the coupe. And the clutchlines should be sheilded. It is recommended (by some) to upgrade to 4 dot, too.... But that's a matter of some differing opinions. Also, using braided lines is a nice touch.

The overview has been that the plastic slave, proximity to heat sources and all causes a breakdown in the hydraulic fluid and is the source for overall failure of the clutch hydraulic system.

I don't know anything about "big vipers" as you call 'em.... But they do have clutch issues, too.

D

Would one way to help this problem be to religiously bleed/flush the system? I do this in my Vette on a consistent basis... really just as a precaution, but that side of the tracks also can have clutch issues, and I've never had a one, even with an aftermarket clutch which puts more load on the slave.

Just thought I'd ask b/c of your mention of the DOT 4 fluid as a potential upgrade and b/c you discussed the breakdown of the fluid itself being the problem.

Maybe the truck bellhousing is different.:dontknow:

Just wondering.

As of now I have Justins kit with the viper hydro's.

I have not got the clutch yet.

May go Mcleod, may go spec.

Just thinking about the hydro's.

For example...Underground racing....They do 1000+ vipers all the time.

I wonder if they use the stock slave or not.

Things that make ya say hummm.:p :D

most big builds use a mc cleod set up, but the trannys are different

not much difference int he viper and truck slave but length

main shaft in truck tanny is stronger than viper tranny shaft

ratios and some gears differetn

output shaft different

same tranny jsut different

our oem hydraulics are actually pretty good

I have a practically new McLeod setup with their flywheel that I can't use because it eats Viper slave cylinders.

Save a TON of money and call Stinker for the Spec clutch.

how much does it generally cost to buy the parts for this upgrade?

call tony the spec is like night and day just installed.great price and even better advice and customer service.

JTS VENOM PERFORMANCE said:
most big builds use a mc cleod set up, but the trannys are different

not much difference int he viper and truck slave but length

main shaft in truck tanny is stronger than viper tranny shaft

ratios and some gears differetn

output shaft different

same tranny jsut different

our oem hydraulics are actually pretty good

So viper tranny is same case different internals.

Bottom line is they are different.

I went over to the VCA and there where just as many cars having slave issues as trucks.

In fact I read more slave issues for stock vipers then stock trucks.

FATJACK said:
I have a practically new McLeod setup with their flywheel that I can't use because it eats Viper slave cylinders.

Save a TON of money and call Stinker for the Spec clutch.

Hang in there sir.

I would not be surprised to see a fix in the future.

It seems a custom slave for the mcleod is what ya need.

But I do agree that spec is looking like a safe bet.

WA 2 FST said:
Would one way to help this problem be to religiously bleed/flush the system? I do this in my Vette on a consistent basis... really just as a precaution, but that side of the tracks also can have clutch issues, and I've never had a one, even with an aftermarket clutch which puts more load on the slave.

Just thought I'd ask b/c of your mention of the DOT 4 fluid as a potential upgrade and b/c you discussed the breakdown of the fluid itself being the problem.

It became pretty clear to me that more frequent fluid changes was in order with the RC fluid. I've been flushing mine with my engine oil changes since about 10K miles. I'm now over 100K and still have original clutch and all components.

Chuck B said:
It became pretty clear to me that more frequent fluid changes was in order with the RC fluid. I've been flushing mine with my engine oil changes since about 10K miles. I'm now over 100K and still have original clutch and all components.

That's impressive. Thanks for the response! Given that my truck will not be highly modified, I'm going to give this a shot and see what happens.

My truck gave me trouble over a year ago. I just keep the reservoir full and it works fine.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back