Coated bearings

Discussion in 'Performance Mods' started by Blakewilder, May 19, 2006.

1. Blakewilder

Blakewilder Full Access Member

I figured I would ask here to since most of the knowledgable posters are over here now. Im building my motor this week and Ive been on a mission to figure out the best way to keep good ol #3 rod journal from heating up and breaking. Ive got my machinist working on the coated rod bearings and there is something to do with opening up the oil pathway to the rod journal to prevent our favorite design flaw. Anyone have specifics regarding this procedure?

2. Silverback

Silverback New Member Supporting Member

That is one that John Hennessey shared a little bit of info on, but not enough that you could go out and do anything with. He did mention different bearings, but I don't think he said what brand or anything. I would be extremely careful opening up any oil passages. You may get more oil to that journal, but cut the flow to another. You might consider buying a set of rod and main bearings from John.

Sorry I could not help more.

3. JTS VENOM PERFORMANCE

JTS VENOM PERFORMANCE Active Member Preferred Vendor

why? are they cold?

4. Blakewilder

Well, the guys that are building my truck actually bought a complete 522 cid stroker kit from John H. Then he sent his tech Nick over to help them build it. That is for their shop truck that is aTT w/NOS. Now that they have seen it and done it, they can replicate it easily. It is all off the shelf Chevy parts that are used for it. So, he is aware of the process and we are doing it on mine. I bought some of my parts from JH (pistons,crank (stroked) etc... Nick is gonna come over and help out with assembly also. ill keep ya informed.

5. Silverback

Silverback New Member Supporting Member

Glad to hear you got what you needed.:cool: Do you have an ECD for getting it back on the road?

6. Blakewilder

HOPEFULLY burnin gas by the weekend! As usual, still waitin on the heads,BUT Jeff said by Wednesday, and Dave said that as soon as they come in he's puttin all the boys on it til it is done. Then time to tune a little then it goes to BOOMER for the finishing touches and the real tune.