Coin-Operated Car Wash (looking for info)

fun2xlr8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this is way, way off topic, but I am in the vending machine business and I was approached recently by a guy who owns a couple of car washes. He is looking to sell one and asked if I was interested. It's the kind where you drop coins or tokens in the meter and the pressure washer turns on and you start hosing down your car yourself. It seems like a natural extension from the vending machine(coin operated service business) industry, so I thought I might give it a try. Anyway, was just wondering if anyone here has ever owned one or known someone who owned one? Just looking for a little added insight, perhaps ideas on questions to ask or stumbling blocks to avoid when I go to have a meeting with this guy this weekend. Thanks in advance for any input anyone may contribute.

Greg

One of my old neighbors here in Goodland owns one. Never have talked to him about it or anything for that matter. Seems the biggest pain in the a$$ is routinely cleaning the mud and crap out of the stalls after the kids take their 4x4's out muddin :)

It may be a pain but they gotta pay to clean their trucks so its good for you. Seems like something that could provide some additional income. I would think the collection boxes for the money and those that give change for dollar bills would have to be fortified from being broken in to.

They are very popular in this area. Seems like a good business to me as long as it makes money. Remember that there will always be the complaints about "The machine stole my money" or "The brush scratched my Pinto". Take a day and monitor the traffic flow to see how busy it is. Will you have a line on supplies (55 gal barrels of soap, pre rinse, tire dressing etc.). Why does he want to sell? Just make an educated decision. Good luck.

Look at his books. While it's a cash business meaning a lot is going in his pocket and not being claimed, he still has to claim something

SilvrSRT10 said:
They are very popular in this area. Seems like a good business to me as long as it makes money. Remember that there will always be the complaints about "The machine stole my money" or "The brush scratched my Pinto". Take a day and monitor the traffic flow to see how busy it is. Will you have a line on supplies (55 gal barrels of soap, pre rinse, tire dressing etc.). Why does he want to sell? Just make an educated decision. Good luck.

I agree... It can be a lucrative business. You have to have someone look at the equipment, if you don't know what your looking at. The pumps and tanks could need replaced if it is a busy facility. Look around online, or ask him where he got his equipment from. They could send out a rep. to give you a report. Good luck with your purchase! :)

I've heard thay can be very profitable, but "your results may vary." i've gotten to know the guy who owns one I use. he ahs been doign it for many years. he aas at 75 cents for 4 minutes with the strongest pump I have found anywhere - a great place - it's called "The Quarter Horse." he said he was attracting so many trashy custoemrs who left lots of household trash adn junk - mattresses, old washing machines and the like. So, he doubled his price to $1.50 for 4 minutes. He said the place is cleaner but now he is losing money.

I used to manage a full service wash, but this is different.

My advice is to get professional advice - talk to a CPA about the books. Talk to a mechanic about the equipment. Talk to soap salesmen about supplies. Real estate agents - land values; police - crime issues; IRS - back taxes; insurance man, etc - you get the idea. In other words, like someone said, do your homework. It's easier and cheaper to do now than later when it's too late.

I hope this helps,
Larry

Also watch out for NEW laws in your area. MANY states are making these places 'reclaim' their water. They are cheaper to run this way, but the systems can be expensive to fix, I dunno.
Jeff

My suggestions I would like to add are to ask for the last 3 years of books or more. If he has issue, tell him to drop them off to your accountant.

Have someone monitor how many vehicles are going through the car wash at different times for a while.

Drop by unannouced with a silly question or excuse to see how well the building and is being maintained inside and outside.

Good luck in your research.

Will

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back