Coolant question

vipertruckin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I just installed stinkers oil lines this weekend... surprisingly easy install. :rock::rock:

I checked all the fluids and noticed the coolant reservoir was approaching low. I went to the local autozone, and all I know about the current coolant in the truck is that it's orange. The maintenance manual doesn't say I'm due for a swap of the fluids or anything. Am I safe putting prestone 50/50 pre-diluted coolant in there just to get it a little further above the "min" line? Or should I look into something the dodge dealership might sell?

btw... Nowhere on this antifreeze i picked up does it say "HOAT" on it. I looked it up and it stands for "Hybrid Organic Additive Technology". None of the coolants there said HOAT on it. Also I know not to mix colors and the guy recommended a clear antifreeze that he said was safe to mix with any color...

Brand new to the trucks still and just trying to make sure I'm doing the right things... Thanks for the help

The last stuff I bought was from Dodge, and it was Celsius by Prestone (Extended Life Antifreeze) and it was clear also. I asked the same question when they stopped carrying the Orange Dex-cool stuff, and they said they've been running this new clear stuff in their vipers.

I was skeptical about it too, as I didn't want to mix anything else with what was already in there but Dex-cool. It just needs to meet or exceed ASTM D3306 and D4985 and it's fine to run it in our system.

Last edited:
If you decide to switch from Dexcool any many type extended life coolants be sure and flush, flush and flush one more time. Dexcool does not mix well with regular type coolant.

Cool thanks for the info... So definitely flush everything out though? And just put all new fluid then? I'd much rather be safe than sorry, but some people have told me some prestone stuff is okay to mix?

Originally by Chuck B

If you decide to switch from Dexcool any many type extended life coolants be sure and flush, flush and flush one more time. Dexcool does not mix well with regular type coolant.

Mixing the green "regular" anti-freeze with Dex-Cool is known to cause problems, yes. A thorough flush or chemical flush (repeatedly) is needed before changing to green.

But... he's just asking about topping off. You don't need to flush for that unless you see flakes, residue and other contaminants in the coolant or around it, or if it's due for one.

Mixing compatible antifreeze with Dex-Cool is not going to wreck anything. The Prestone Extended Life is recommended and formulated for all vehicles that require Dex-Cool coolant. And the problem with Dex-Cool in general is it does not tolerate air in the system, it starts breaking down. All mixing Prestone Extended Life with Dex-Cool does is shorten the life expectancy of Dex-Cool. So if you're trying to get 3+ years with the same coolant in your truck.. hand me the keys! :p

I change coolant once a year. So I don't care about how long lifespan that the antifreeze is made for. If you know the coolant is old or dirty or want sound of mind, then take it in for a coolant flush. Otherwise, top it off! :)

Last edited:
Mixing the green "regular" anti-freeze with Dex-Cool is known to cause problems, yes. A thorough flush or chemical flush (repeatedly) is needed before changing to green.

But... he's just asking about topping off. You don't need to flush for that unless you see flakes, residue and other contaminants in the coolant or around it, or if it's due for one.

Mixing compatible antifreeze with Dex-Cool is not going to wreck anything. The Prestone Extended Life is recommended and formulated for all vehicles that require Dex-Cool coolant. And the problem with Dex-Cool in general is it does not tolerate air in the system, it starts breaking down. All mixing Prestone Extended Life with Dex-Cool does is shorten the life expectancy of Dex-Cool. So if you're trying to get 3+ years with the same coolant in your truck.. hand me the keys! :p

I change coolant once a year. So I don't care about how long lifespan that the antifreeze is made for. If you know the coolant is old or dirty or want sound of mind, then take it in for a coolant flush. Otherwise, top it off! :)

Awesome thanks for the info... I'm just gonna swap it out then. I'm not due for one, but I'd like to have that peace of mind since I'm not sure how long the old stuff been there from the old owner. I'm gonna go return the prestone. Any suggestions on what to run in there?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back