coolant

500snakz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting ready to go to parts store and pick up the stuff for a coolant flush. Never done this on a 10 so any and all tips and suggestions on what type coolant or what to what out for would be helpful. :rock:

It calls for the Dex Cool Extended life orangish red stuff, but Prestone green in the yellow bottle is approved for all of them. Id still get the good stuff. Get a Prestone Flush and fill kit. it has a t fitting that installs in a hose. Your water hose hooks up to it and it back flushes the entire system through the radiator cap till it runs crystal clear.

I make sure the truck is cold, drain the old in a container so you dont pollute
Close the drain plug, cut the water on, crank it, and let it run, until its clear.
Drain enough so that you can add the Preston super cleaner/flush, the big bottle.
Let it run 15 minutes AFTER it gets to operation temperature with the heater on high **IMPORTANT**.
wait for it to cool Then flush it again till its clear. If you dont wait you risk cracking or warping your block or heads.
Drain it and fill it with 50% anti freeze and DISTILLED water. Just dont waste your money on the 50/50 premix. its half water :)

0907cct_03_z+prestone+flush_n_fill_kit.jpg
products.jpg

A trick i use to make sure i got the mix right, is i buy 2 jugs. Dump one in the radiator. Then put a gallon of distilled water in the radiator. Pour half the antifreeze into the other jug, and top them both off with distilled water. Now you have 2 jugs of 50/50 for the price of one. top off the radiator with your new 50/50 mix and fill overflow jug up to the line. Crank it let it get warm and check your levelsand keep what you have left in the bottles in your garage. if you ever get low, its there.

Last edited:
Good help Jeff. Thanks so much. How much coolant should i buy? Watter wetter i have used b4.

I dont remember, all i know is i bought 2 gallons of full strength and had enough with the 50/50 mix as metioned to make 4 gallons.

just dont do what a guy did on the mustang forums....flush it with water. Cant remember if it was a coolant or oil flush but he put straight water through the engine and seized it up..lol.

Ha. Didnt know if there was anything special i had to do. Some cars you got to release a bleeder valve to fully fill it. Been working on my own junk for years because i dont trust the shop monkeys to touch anything i own...

If you chose to go with something other than dexcool make sure you completely flush your system. Can't stress that enough....When you think its flushed, flush it again! I personally just stayed with Dexcool even though I'm not a fan. I'd rather keep it in than chance mixing it with regular green/red coolants.

Got the dex cool. Didnt get thr flush kit because im not cutting the hose. Ill just take it off. Is thete a bleeder on the pump?

43 bucks :)

Attachments

• 2011-06-29 19.51.12.jpg
    2011-06-29 19.51.12.jpg
    448.8 KB · Views: 246

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back