Cooling fan not cooling @ low rpm

SRT Racer 2

Reaction score
Hey guys (and gals!), my cooling fan only spins fast when the engine is "revved". Since I got my truck in March of 06, It has consistantly ran at about 190-195 and the oil temp ran @195+- also. About a month ago the A/C quit cooling when stopped in traffic, but cools down while accelerating.
I poppped the hood and the fan was just spinning lazily, but the engine temp was over 210. I don't understand, at what temp should the fan (hydraulically operated) start to spin at a high RPM? Is this normal? Should it spin faster when the A/C is on? My wife has a black Tahoe and it never runs over 195, even pulling a trailer! As soon as she turns on the air the secondary cooling fan sounds like a f-14 getting ready for take-off!

Any feedback would sure be appreciated! The "dealership" says this is "normal" and that my engine will run hotter as I get more miles! BS I think!
Suppossedly replaced cooling motor once and I think they don't want to do it again.
Thanks, in advance!
Dave

I'll have to agree with your dealership. In slow traffic on a hot day it's got to slip well passed 210 before the fan gets serious. When it does, you'll practically feel it in the seat... You'll have to change or flash the ECU for it to work any differently.

My point was, it never got to 210 before, even after racing! Also the fan NEVER gets serious, that's the problem... I think.

I don't believe the fan will go full speed until somewhere around 230ish. I would think the ECM would kick up the speed a little when the AC is turned on. My suspicion is your AC refrigerant is low. AC warm at idle and cold when the engine speed is increased is a good sign of a low charge.

Why your temps are at 210 now and never before I can't answer, sorry.

Maybe take it to a different dealership and see what they say. Mine has never gone above 200 and the a/c is always frigid.

Gaboon said:
Maybe take it to a different dealership and see what they say. Mine has never gone above 200 and the a/c is always frigid.

likewise over here in belgium. When my engine is at stable operating temp both oil as water gauge was leveling at 200F.

Your truck is operating normally. It is just getting hotter in the summer months. There has been many discussions on this. As for the A/C you may need a bump on the Freon??:dontknow:

My truck and many others run at or above 200 degrees all day long, nothing wrong. Normal operating Temp for a vehicle like this is 200-210. If you start going over 230 I would then strt to worry!!

Yhanks for the help, I feel a little better now!
2367926_1_full.jpg

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back