couple of issues

RB04

Supporting Member
Reaction score
so Ive been noticing lately with the hotter temps out my oil temp has spiked over 200 about 201-203 Im guessing, usually sits at about 195 is this ok?? it was only 80deg. today, . Only doing about 70 on the highway, was the same at 80mph last week at 90 degrees. Im running mobil 1 synthetic 0-40 , level looks good:dontknow: :dontknow: , and my other question is it seems like my trans kicks a little 1-2 2-3 not hoard , just enough to notice, didnt know if thats normal or not, I did just do the intake swap and messed with the cables to the tb, (un intentional, was just trying to take them off) I saw a post the other day about a kick down cable and didnt know if I need to re adjust it, accidentally undid its position I tried to put it back to what I thought was right but I probably should be more precise, oh the trans thing was happening since I bought it , not just recently. thanks for any input, oh and it runs at about 200-203 for coolant temp

the oil is cooled by the engine coolant, so the temp of the engine determines the temp of the oil.

as temps get higher this summer so will oil temps,

depending on your area, you should prob do a thermostate and have the pcm or sct turn on the fan earlier to keep temps lower,

let me see if I can find the tranny cable adjustment procedure

ADJUSTMENT PROCEDURE:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

1.Turn ignition switch to OFF position.
2.Remove air cleaner if necessary.
3.Disconnect cable end (3)(Throttle Valve Cable at Throttle Linkage) from attachment stud on throttle lever (1). Carefully slide cable off stud. Do not pry or pull cable off.
4.Verify that transmission throttle lever is in fully closed position. Then be sure lever on throttle body is at curb idle position.
5.Pry the T.V. cable lock (A) into the UP position. This will unlock the cable and allow for readjustment.
6.Apply just enough tension on the T.V. cable (B) to remove any slack in the cable. Pulling too tight will cause the T.V. lever on the transmission to move out of its idle position, which will result in an incorrect T.V. cable Adjustment.
7.Slide the sheath of the T.V. cable (D) back and forth until the centerlines of the T.V. cable end (B) and the throttle bell crank lever (C) are aligned within one millimeter (1mm).
8.While holding the T.V. cable in the set position push the T.V. cable lock (A) into the down position. This will lock the present T.V. cable adjustment.
NOTE: Be sure that as the cable is pulled forward and centered on the throttle lever stud, the cable housing moves smoothly with the cable. Due to the angle at which the cable housing enters the spring housing, the cable housing may bind slightly and create an incorrect adjustment.

9.Reconnect the T.V. cable (B) to the throttle bellcrank lever (C).
10.Check cable adjustment. Verify transmission throttle lever and lever on throttle body move simultaneously.

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m227/oblivion187/fig3.gif

Last edited:
ya need the T56 shift kit:rock: :rock: :rock: :heeeelllllooooo: :heeeelllllooooo: :heeeelllllooooo: :rock: :rock: :rock:

thanks for the adjustment procedure, what temps are ok for oil and coolant?? Ive read many times these trucks run hot

ZCx said:
ya need the T56 shift kit:rock: :rock: :rock: :heeeelllllooooo: :heeeelllllooooo: :heeeelllllooooo: :rock: :rock: :rock:

what is that, where to get it, can I do it, and how much???

RB04 said:
what is that, where to get it, can I do it, and how much???

its taken the auto. out & installin the tranny from a RC.:rock: :rock: :rock: :D

been a couple of folks talk about it. think it would be neat:rock: :rock: :rock:

RB04 said:
thanks for the adjustment procedure, what temps are ok for oil and coolant?? Ive read many times these trucks run hot
your gonna run in the 200 range, now alot of that depends on the climate you live in also.
if you live in a hotter climate, you may want to go to a thicker grade oil

I did a colder t-stat and with my SCT tune from Torrie my fan turns on sooner...and my truck now runs at 180, oil and coolant.:)

FastSRT19 said:
I did a colder t-stat and with my SCT tune from Torrie my fan turns on sooner...and my truck now runs at 180, oil and coolant.:)

:dito: :dito: :dito:

so far, the same temps. & Texas is gettin warmish:( :( :(

manual fan switch by Stingray :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Attachments

• 11-21-2008 12;19;22PM.jpg
    11-21-2008 12;19;22PM.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 11-21-2008 12;20;41PM.jpg
    11-21-2008 12;20;41PM.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 11-21-2008 12;22;10PM.jpg
    11-21-2008 12;22;10PM.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 26
JTS VENOM PERFORMANCE said:
your gonna run in the 200 range, now alot of that depends on the climate you live in also.
if you live in a hotter climate, you may want to go to a thicker grade oil
well living in Connecticut I think I can probably stick with the grade in there I was thinking of going to 5-30, easier to get and I use the same in both my hemis, from what Ive read seems ok oil to use up here and looks like some use it in their 10's

FastSRT19 said:
I think I will have to , 200 degrees really bothers me oil and coolant wise

or Justin's electric fan set up:rock: :rock: :rock:

had the same issue sat at ther car show reached 105 with the A/C running I got around 210 oil temp stayed there the whole time. I reckon anything over 220-230 is bad and should be shut off soon as possible.

200-220 is pretty mmuch normal operating range for these motors. Even with a 180 tstat and have my fan set at 175. When its 90 I will see it hit (in traffic) 200 even with the fan set and lower tstat. When you start seeing temps over 220 then you got problems. Aluminum motors are actually made to run hotter. Also check your coolant go 60%water and 40% coolant in the summer helps keep temps down. But as far as temp your alright.

RB04 said:

The temps you cited are similar to what my truck runs at, normal.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back