Craftsman Vs. Blue-point

Should i go with Craftsman or Blue-point?

• Craftsman

Votes: 41 78.8%
  • Blue-point

Votes: 11 21.2%

• Total voters

Sharpimage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey fellas, I have a little conundrum on my hands and need some input.
I'm going to be buying my first big tool set soon and need to make a
decision. I've broken it down to two sets:

Blue-point:
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...=20261&supersede=&store=snapon-store&tool=all

Craftsman:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...ols&cName=Tool+Sets&sName=Mechanics+Tool+Sets

Blue-point obviously has the name and outstanding warranty of Snap-on
however I've read the only difference between the two is blue-point isn't
made entirely in the US, where Snap-on is. I'm not sure if all Craftsman
tools are made in the US but if they are, that adds a few points to their
name as I try to support American made products to the best of my ability.

That being said the Blue-point set has what I need in a nice carrying case
while the craftsman is pretty much all I'll ever need with exception of maybe
a few tools. The major things like Rachets and torque wrenches i plan to
buy Snap-on. I don't wrench for a living but I don't care for habor freight
quality tools anymore. :eek:

So with all that being said, what's your take on this? Should I go with
Craftsman or Blue-point? I do realize this comes down to personal
preference but perhaps someone can shed some light on problems or
praise they've had with either company? Any input is appreciated! :D :rock:

Thanks,

Andrew

several shops around the shop i work at all use snap on and even some guys have bought broken snap on tools (for pennies) and traded them in for new ones. Snap on warranty is amazing. Just expensive up front.

go with craftman much easier to replace if broken ,,,and the fact is there is only 3 to 4 main companies that make tools and most use the same manufacturers to prduce thier tools ,,,,,,blue point is not made by snap on its just a generic brand they sell to the public ,,,buy a snap on box (cause they look cool ) and fill it with tools that are easy to replace at a local sears store :rock: i have both snap on and craftsman and they preform the same when your hands are greasy and sweat is rolling down your face and you grab a socket weather its a snap on or craftsman !

Last edited:
go with craftsman to start. snap op is rediculous waste of money. the only thing i have from them that is worth it is the impact swivels sockets and ratchets. bluepoint is junk.

besides that craftsman is awesome and made in the usa

Craftsman is awesome. I had a 10+ year old vice grip that broke. Took it in to Sears and bam got a brand new one on the spot!!

Craftsman.

Hell you can even check ebay for some of the full box sets for pretty reasonable.

Actually i think sears(oops just saw your sears link) also gives like 20% if you open a credit card on the purchse. So find a sale day and go to town.

I got the 255 piece set on sale at half off plus another 20% and paid $180 out the door.

Craftsman.

SHU

Last edited:
Love them both, but I use Craftsman for the same reasons that Ironhead presented. So damn available, and the lifetime Guarantee is wonderful...had a tiny Craftsman ratchet fall apart...much have been 25 years old...no questions asked...just replaced it on the spot.

The other side of the coin is that Sears is really struggling...it would not be surprising to see it enter Chapter 11 or Chapter 13 in the near future...

Unless you make a living off your tools don't buy off a truck.

Buy craftsman torquewrench's, snap on is overkill.

Kobalt and husky make nice wrenchs and stuff. Husky makes my favorite ratchet, the extendable flex head 3/8 drive.

Buy the craftsman, you wont be dissapointed. If you decide to go snap on buy it off ebay.

i have both. craftsman is easier to get replaced. snap on screw drivers are awesome but i think craftsman now makes some that are equivilant to snap on. they all have the same warranty tho for the most part.

Thanks for the input fellas, everyone here has some good points and I'm
leaning towards Craftsman now just because of my budget however, Roy
you bring up an excellent point. If Craftsman does file for a chapter 11 then
I could have a little problem returning tools that I have broken.. ;) I would
love to have full Snap-on tools but just looking at their general service
sets we're talking about a couple grand just for an SAE set hahah :D

bigike, I'm gonna have to disagree with you brother. I've broken a handful
of Craftsman torque wrenches and tried to get them warrantied and got
denied.:( :dontknow: However, I've heard great things about warranties
on their other products. I've used Husky screwdrivers in the past and have
had the screwdriver tips actually "round off" so to speak but have had
some good luck with their wrenches and sockets. Really just a mixed bag..

either way, I think Craftsman would be a good start then once I get a real
job I can start to phase out my stuff with Snap-on as needed. Sound like
a good plan? :D

Also, if anyone here is so inclined, if you know someone selling their
Snap-on tools and it's more than 150pcs and around $400 let me know
as that's pretty much what i'm looking for.. :marchmellow:

Andrew

Honestly, I have a husky set that is better than my Craftsman set. I would look at other brands. There many cheaper brands that will perform equally and save you gobs of money.
Craftsman ratchets are probably the worst I have used but, their warranty is fast and easy.

i agree with some of the others here too, snap on has great ratchets and screwdrivers. i love my snap on torque wrench too. i've had that over 19 years now. i originally bought craftsman to start like you are. from there i just upgraded as needed like screwdrivers and ratchets. i have seen craftsman has a professional line of tools. snap on is best if you are using them daily but for your dollar i would go with craftsman then upgrade as needed. Mac has nice tools as well but pricey like snap on.

Buy Snap-On if you are going to make a living with your tools. Buy them as you can afford them.

When I was in college, I bought Craftsman tools. At my first job, my boss had Snap-On and insisted I use his tools. There is a tremendous difference in the feel and performance of Snap-On over other tools.

Yes, they are expensive, but you'll never regret buying them. Pay cash if you can and you should get a discount. Also, check out 'new snap-on ' on ebay.

I will say buy some gear wrenches. I like the Gear Wrench brand better than I do snap-on/mac/matco/craftsman gear wrenches. I've had mine for 7 years working in Aviation and they are withstanding the test of time!

Snap-On is great, but like everyone else said... unless you make a living with tools there is no need! I've spent an uncountable amount on tool trucks. I would buy off of Ebay or Craigslist.

The craftsman warranty is easy. I just walk into Sears give them the beat up tool and they give me new. Never had a hassle!

craftsman, but if you do go with snap-on ask the guy about re-po'd tools they have them

I have a ton of Craftsman, but I go SnapOn for some of their unique items and items that are critical.
SnapOn items:
Torque wrenches
80 tooth ratchet heads
3/4" drive ratchet
pullers
SOEX wrenches
wobble plus socket extensions
misc other cool tools.

AS everyone has said pretty much Craftsman is the way. I own 90% Craftsman and the rest are Snap-on, MAC, and specialty tools. You can't beat Sears warranty, proximity, or initial price. You don't have to ever chase down the tool truck, ,and when you find them and exchange your tool you don't have to wait for them to send yours off to repair and get it back.
Buy a Craftsman box set if possible. Usually like 300 pcs or so for under $200. Has 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" tools in a plastic case. Buying separately is very expensive no matter who you get them from.:rock:

i personally have had issues geting craftsman to replace there stuff so i probably wont go back to craftsman i would say snapon.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back