Crank keyed?

Stagethree

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking in the 05 parts book.

It shows a key on the crank sprocket, #24 in diagram.

From what I been reading I thought our motors did not have one?:dontknow:

(EWC = 8.3L V10 SFI)

24 06034749 1 EWC KEY, Crankshaft Sprocket

CRANK_05_PARTS_BOOK.jpg

That keys the crank to the block...the key that we have been talking about pins the balancer to the crank.

Prof said:
That keys the crank to the block...the key that we have been talking about pins the balancer to the crank.
Huh???:dontknow: Keys the crank to the block??
The diagram shows a key for the harmonic balancer but we don't have one on our trucks. Many can testify to that. That might be the Viper car. Again....:dontknow:

Prof said:

To the block?
The crank wouldn't turn!

Hell I'm going back to REAL MoPar engines, something I do know!:D

Sorry mis-communicated...the key pictured retains the position of the crank, the key we have been talking about pins the harmonic balancer to the crank, it goes through the balancer into the crank shaft.

Prof said:
Sorry mis-communicated...the key pictured retains the position of the crank, the key we have been talking about pins the harmonic balancer to the crank, it goes through the balancer into the crank shaft.

Retains it to what?
I know whats been said, wouldn't be the first time the books been wrong.

Looked in the 04 book, it's the same.

Stagethree said:
And the book only list one crank, 5037599AB.

I thought they maybe different for auto and sticks?
actually to help lil ol prof out:D

most talk about pinning the balancer to the crank, maybe that helps, most are keyed, like you are used to , but the key can shear off.

so you take and drill the crank and pin the balancer to the crank.

there is different cranks for the 04 compared to the 05 up, the o4 does not have a place on the crank for the sensor to read, uppers do

Stinker said:
actually to help lil ol prof out:D

most talk about pinning the balancer to the crank, maybe that helps, most are keyed, like you are used to , but the key can shear off.

so you take and drill the crank and pin the balancer to the crank.

there is different cranks for the 04 compared to the 05 up, the o4 does not have a place on the crank for the sensor to read, uppers do

THANKS!:rock:
Is it just weak, poor metal?
Or does it shear the crank keyway?

Last edited:
This from the Roe Racing website:

" I hear the stock crankshaft hub is not keyed. Does it have to be keyed?
The Viper crankshaft and balancer hub are not keyed from the factory. This in itself is not a problem as long as the bolt remains at factory torque (250 ft/lbs). For further security, we have created a tool, which allows the installer to pin the crankshaft and hub together. The tool is included in the kit."

They are not keyed (no oem viper motor is that I am aware of), the pic is incorrect, but there is a the key for the timing set sprocket. Any belt driven supercharger needs to have the crank pinned with a kit like Roe sells (drill two hole between crank and balance with everything installed, and hammer in roll pins), or have the crank keyed (at a machine shop) and an aftermarket balancer installed (preferred).
Justin

While the picture is wrong, the text is correct. Key for crankshaft sprocket....just as Justin said.

Stagethree said:
THANKS!:rock:
Is it just weak, poor metal?
Or does it shear the crank keyway?
I posted in a big hurry there sweetcheeks:D i was thinking of the sproket was actually sitting here looking at the thing to:p

but the balancer is not keyed , but under forced induction does need to be pinned

LOLOL what a day:argh: :argh: :D

Stinker said:
I posted in a big hurry there sweetcheeks:D i was thinking of the sproket was actually sitting here looking at the thing to:p

but the balancer is not keyed , but under forced induction does need to be pinned

LOLOL what a day:argh: :argh: :D

All KOOL! That's why they ask for the VIN when ordering.

And I hear you, just went out to start the truck and noticed the pillar temp gauge was reading 160........cold!:dontknow:

That might be my next thread.:)

Stagethree said:
All KOOL! That's why they ask for the VIN when ordering.

And I hear you, just went out to start the truck and noticed the pillar temp gauge was reading 160........cold!:dontknow:

That might be my next thread.:)
but dude, I was in chitcago last week and it IS cold up there still:D

That was summer time.

We are already deep into next winter already.

Stinker said:
but dude, I was in chitcago last week and it IS cold up there still:D

Hey watch it buddy, my great granddaddy served in the 4th North Carolina Cavalry!:p

He moved before I had a choice!:D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back