Crank pully wobble

furgy667

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I changed my belt today. When i got done I was watching the belt and pulley to make sure everything was ok and noticed that the crank pulley was wobbling slightly.I checked the bolt and it might have been a little lose but i have no where to jack the truck up and really check to see if its torqued right.

I have no warranty is this something that the stealership should fix? I have researched the forums and understand that there is a problem with the bolt coming loose and damaging the crank .The wobble is very slight. I really don't think that there is damage yet .

Is a slight wobble anything to be worried about? I can almost answer this myself because hell yeah I am worried about it:( :(

I will have to go tomorrow and see what they say about it . It sucks because until Christmas this is my daily driver.

Any input or help in this would be greatly appreciated.

Brandon

I cant remember for sure but it seems there was a TSB out for 2004 models concerning the crank pulley...where did I see that..:dontknow: ...somebody will chime in soon...:)

I read though that thread but there is still nothing about an official TSB on the crank pulley . Just one for the cam bolts.

Yup happen to me after I bought my truck, If this is the first time it happen hate to say it but pull the radiator and press the hub back on otherwise you will be gettin a new one lucky for me it happen before the 30days was up on my warranty and it is about a $5200 job. crank is 3k alone. So do her right and you won't find a tsb for that.

DevilDawg3097 said:
Yup happen to me after I bought my truck, If this is the first time it happen hate to say it but pull the radiator and press the hub back on otherwise you will be gettin a new one lucky for me it happen before the 30days was up on my warranty and it is about a $5200 job. crank is 3k alone. So do her right and you won't find a tsb for that.

So the pulley has to be pressed back on? Any special tools need for this?
Does the A/C condenser have to come out as well ? If I can't get it done tomorrow I will have to just take it to the dealer ship.

Thanks
Brandon

furgy667 said:
So the pulley has to be pressed back on? Any special tools need for this?
Does the A/C condenser have to come out as well ? If I can't get it done tomorrow I will have to just take it to the dealer ship.

Thanks
Brandon
No the condenser just fold off to the side get a blankt to put under it so you dont scratch the paint or smash the fins and no special tool (ILL double check) the whole trick is puttin it on straight and nock cocked and you have to take the radiator out to do it right or you will be gettin a new crank if it is under warranty then take it in if not its about a 3-4hr job complete or faster depends on you. Just jack it up it will be alot easier. And center the hub and use the the to draw it up if your gonna do it I will send you the instructions.For the crank pulley.

Here is a small video of the wobble . The bolt is tight (atleast as far as I can tell ) and the balancer does not appear to move at all . Could this just be a bent pulley?
furgy667

I have an early '05 and had the loose crank bolt. I could turn the bolt by hand. All I did was pull the bolt out, put some blue Loctite on it and put it back in and torque it back down. This can all be done from under the truck without removing anything. I caught mine pretty early so I didn't have any crank damage. See if doing that will fix your problem.

furgy667 said:
Here is a small video of the wobble . The bolt is tight (atleast as far as I can tell ) and the balancer does not appear to move at all . Could this just be a bent pulley?
furgy667
How many miles are on there? check and make sure the pulley bolts are tight. Could be worn out.

Just rolled over 10,000. I think tomorrow I will just pull the belt again pull the pulley , check it to see if its warped , reinstall with some loctite , and hopefully drive it .

furgy667 said:
Just rolled over 10,000. I think tomorrow I will just pull the belt again pull the pulley , check it to see if its warped , reinstall with some loctite , and hopefully drive it .
The pulley is not keyed so it will go on in any position. The bolt is the only thing that holds it on. It's just a pressure fit. Hope the crank isn't chewed up. Good luck.

update fixed

Its fixed temporarily :rock: :rock: The fist time i tried to tighten it i left it out of gear and could not get it very tight with out the motor turning over. I had a few to many :dontknow: and was just kinda bummed out.

So i just went out and put it in first gear and put some arm in it . It turned so slightly that I would not have thought it did anything but cranked it up and no wobble :rock: :rock: ..

Can't get my cheep torque wrench on it so going to buy a good one tomorrow , buy some loctite and do it right. I am just happy that there does not appear to be any damage. I really don't think it ever slipped , I am just lucky that I found it when I did.

I have VTCoA to thank for even looking in the first place, I really appreciate all the help . :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Brandon

Last edited:
loose crank pulley bolt

Couldnt figure out why I was chewing up serpentine belts - after reading this post I went to take a closer look - could turn the bolt by hand - pulley is sticking out 1/2 inch further than the others and is wobbling - hopefully there is no damage. Tightened it up best I could from under the truck, but it didnt move the pulley back - too tight to get impact on it. Pull the radiator? Whats the torque spec?

Last edited:
scott775pd said:
Couldnt figure out why I was chewing up serpentine belts - after reading this post I went to take a closer look - could turn the bolt by hand - pulley is sticking out 1/2 inch further than the others and is wobbling - hopefully there is no damage. Tightened it up best I could from under the truck, but it didnt move the pulley back - too tight to get impact on it. Pull the radiator?
Unfortunately, your crank may be buggered up too much for the pulley to go back down on it. I wouldn't impact it for fear of snapping the bolt off in the crank. If you can get the pulley off, inspect the crank. Or it may be time to visit your dealer for another opinion. I don't know if the crank or pulley can be cleaned up for it to fit correctly. Good luck.

I had to really use some arm to get mine to tighten up , I don't think mine was anywhere close to as loose as yours though. You can see in the viedo that I posted that mine just had a slight wobble to it.

Sorry to hear about you problems and wish you the best of luck with it.

Brandon

Any idea on the torque spec? I dont want to break anything - but how much arm?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back