Crankshaft position sensor location

Also my Rc is a 04 so how would I get knock sensors to work unless I swapped out harness and pcm?

The provisions for the sensors are there. You'd have to have holes machines to correctly match factory. Yes swap harness, but PCM can be written with 05/06 flash.

Why would I want a auto block I have a T56 tranny?

Sorry, I misunderstood. You stepped in the middle of a debate over using 04 engines in 05/06 QC trucks. I assumed you had a QC with an automatic currently.

In your case, I would still prefer a 2005/2006 block over your current 04. The adoption of Knock Sensing is possible, but it will require a small harness addition and a custom PCM written for your application based on the 2005 type PCM.

The provisions for the sensors are there. You'd have to have holes machines to correctly match factory. Yes swap harness, but PCM can be written with 05/06 flash.

Absolutely incorrect on both counts.

1. The knock sensor provisions are NOT on a 2004 block. They were not added to the casting until 2005, at the same time they re-cast for the crank position sensor.

2. The hardware for Knock Sensing is absolutely NOT on the board inside the 2004 PCM. Just because you can turn it on with the software does not mean the PCM will actually have an active knock strategy, it will simply always think there is no knock, as there is no processor for that function. Its simply a common hardware family control feature in the User Interface, regardless whether it's actually available.

Not trying to step on anyones dick, but this kind of topic is squarely in my day to day business.

Last edited:
Absolutely incorrect on both counts.

1. The knock sensor provisions are NOT on a 2004 block. They were not added to the casting until 2005, at the same time they re-cast for the crank position sensor.

2. The hardware for Knock Sensing is absolutely NOT on the board inside the 2004 PCM. Just because you can turn it on with the software does not mean the PCM will actually have an active knock strategy, it will simply always think there is no knock, as there is no processor for that function. Its simply a common hardware family control feature in the User Interface, regardless whether it's actually available.

Not trying to step on anyones dick, but this kind of topic is squarely in my day to day business.

Ok I'll split this one with ya. PCM internals I may be incorrect on, but I've personally seen 04 blocks with casting in the block for knock sensors! They just aren't cut out/machined. May not be all 04 blocks, dunno, but have witnessed this. Thanks for your PCM wisdom, but why would a "Custom PCM" be necessary if our 05/06 pcms are capable? Rewrite skim and go!

Just for your info, my friend decided to sell his 04 engine and look for a 05 auto block. Not because of not seeing the chance to bring this engine up and running in truck even with the 48RE, but he wants to have it as original as possible.

Still very interesting to read the info that came up !

All the best

Arne

(Post no 1001 :D)

Ok I'll split this one with ya. PCM internals I may be incorrect on, but I've personally seen 04 blocks with casting in the block for knock sensors! They just aren't cut out/machined. May not be all 04 blocks, dunno, but have witnessed this. Thanks for your PCM wisdom, but why would a "Custom PCM" be necessary if our 05/06 pcms are capable? Rewrite skim and go!

-I cannot comment on the 04 Ram blocks as I do not see Rams in any huge quantity. That said, I have seen hundreds of 04 Vipers over the years... even owned a couple of them. I have never seen any knock sensor bosses on any 04 engine blocks. Never, ever. Its not impossible the Ram may have been way-late 04 production or something and was wedged halfway between end of 04 Viper production, and the start of 05 Ram production... who knows. I have not however seen any evidence of this, and will keep my opinion until I actually see one of these blocks. It makes little sense to a manufacturer to do a "half-way" production, as it costs next to nothing for them to run the extra machine work and have fewer part numbers and changes.

-A custom PCM would be needed because the 04 truck with an 04 VIN should not be running on a 2005 PCM flash. The programming is inherently different, with potential differences in bus communications and routines. A dealer scan tool will incorrectly learn the year of the truck, and incorrectly apply updates. State inspections will incorrectly save vehicle year. Its a multitude of potential issues. The correct solution is flashing 05/06 hardware with a modified 2004 file to activate the hardware which it was previously lacking, and update the changes contained in the 05/06 tune, while still retaining the 2004 model year properties and label.

-I cannot comment on the 04 Ram blocks as I do not see Rams in any huge quantity. That said, I have seen hundreds of 04 Vipers over the years... even owned a couple of them. I have never seen any knock sensor bosses on any 04 engine blocks. Never, ever. Its not impossible the Ram may have been way-late 04 production or something and was wedged halfway between end of 04 Viper production, and the start of 05 Ram production... who knows. I have not however seen any evidence of this, and will keep my opinion until I actually see one of these blocks. It makes little sense to a manufacturer to do a "half-way" production, as it costs next to nothing for them to run the extra machine work and have fewer part numbers and changes.

-A custom PCM would be needed because the 04 truck with an 04 VIN should not be running on a 2005 PCM flash. The programming is inherently different, with potential differences in bus communications and routines. A dealer scan tool will incorrectly learn the year of the truck, and incorrectly apply updates. State inspections will incorrectly save vehicle year. Its a multitude of potential issues. The correct solution is flashing 05/06 hardware with a modified 2004 file to activate the hardware which it was previously lacking, and update the changes contained in the 05/06 tune, while still retaining the 2004 model year properties and label.

Guess there's simply more than one way to skin a cat? I've had great luck with DRB vin and skim swaps as well as installing RC programming in a QC PCM for our T56 conversions. Whether my way is correct by your means or not is a different story, but it works regardless.
I love learning new things daily and your electronics knowledge far exceeds mine, but some things we just have to try without said knowledge, but using common sense and put theory to the test. :)

Guess there's simply more than one way to skin a cat? I've had great luck with DRB vin and skim swaps as well as installing RC programming in a QC PCM for our T56 conversions. Whether my way is correct by your means or not is a different story, but it works regardless.
I love learning new things daily and your electronics knowledge far exceeds mine, but some things we just have to try without said knowledge, but using common sense and put theory to the test. :)

Thats a different ball game. Cross-flashing a QC to an RC of the same year is nothing but a firmware downgrade of available hardware. No problem doing that in the least. The reverse can however be a problem due to missing hardware. However, in these cases, the Processor Code is still the proper version for the year after flashing. The only mis-match is the VIN breakdown vs. Transmission, but the configuration is based off the Processor Code, not the VIN, so it ultimately doesn't matter short of ordering parts for the truck based on VIN.

Actively running an 05 RC PCM in an 04 RC [notwithstanding hardware differences on engine], a different type of mis-match. That's not just a version difference, that's a model year & configuration difference.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back