Critique my speech..

Riff62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im writing a persuasive speech for a communications class, and just finished the first draft it..My class is a bunch of, mostly, 20 somethings.
I have 5-6 minutes to give it.
Please post thoughts..sorry its so long..

PS. I quoted one of our members in it..anyone know who?..

The Importance of Setting Goals

How many of you want to earn a degree?
How many of you want to get married someday, or divorced if your not really happily married now?..
These wants can be considered goals. You decided you want something and are taking steps to see that you get it. With marriage, the first thing you probably want to do is find someone you want to date, or someone who will put up with you for extended periods of time without killing you.. With the degree, you sign up for classes, apply for financial aid, etc. All these thing lead you toward the end result-getting a degree, or getting married : ie, your goal.
The importance of setting goals, both big and small, can not be overstated.
Stephen Covey, author of First Things First, and the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People writes, “ To set and work toward any goal is an act of courage. This courage helps us achieve positive results. Over time it also allows us to set more challenging goals.â€
In the beginning of this class, we did an exercise where one of the questions was “where do you see yourself in 5 yrs?" Some of you had said you want to get through college, others said they saw themselves in certain professions in 5 yrs. I remember someone saying she wanted to be living in Manhattan. No one said “I don’t know what I want to be doing in 5 yrsâ€. We all had a goal.

Almost every book or tape on personal success and achievement stresses the importance of goal setting as fundamental to achieving success. You simply cannot go somewhere if you do not know where you want to go.
Napoleon Hill, author of Think and Grow Rich, cites the importance of having a “definite purpose†as one of the key factors to achieving success. He said that it is the starting point of all achievement and that it’s lack, is the stumbling block for ninety eight out of every hundred people simply because they never really define their goals and start towards them.
Think of goals as drawing a map: if you know where you are and know where you want to go, even if you do get lost, you will find your ultimate destination. When you set goals, set goals that are way beyond your present abilities. Describe your ideal life and you will get excited.This excitement will start to drive you forward.
Every great success in any area of life, be it a sport star or a scientist will testify to having a very clear and specific goal. The challenge is that we’ve heard it so often that we tend to fall into the trap of familiarity. Unless you do it and practice it daily you do not know it. You might know of it, but you dont know it.
With goals we create the future in advance. With goals we literally create our destiny. We all have goals whether we know it or not. Some people’s goals are to pay their bills or just make it through the day. The problem is that most people just have crappy goals. Crappy goals create a crappy life. No matter what your goals are, they are affecting your life everyday..
We all need goals that inspire us. With strong goals we are driven to grow towards what we want from our lives. Compelling goals have the power to move us. Done properly and specifically goals can transform our lives.
A study was done in 1953 at Yale University where they interviewed the graduating class just before they left school. They were asked, if they had a clearly defined set of goals with a written plan to attain them?. Only 3% had a clear plan.. 20 years later, they went back to interview the surviving class members of 1953 and they found that the 3% that had a set of written down goals seemed more happy, more well adjusted and more excited about their lives. The one very interesting thing was that the 3% were worth more financially than the other 97% combined.
In his bestselling personal transformation program, Personal Power II, Tony Robbins writes “Where you are today is based on your past experiences. If you limit your future to your past you are not going anywhere. You have to set goals that are big enough to excite you and drive you forward to where you want to be instead of just settling for whatever shows up in your life.â€
We need to set goals for how we are going to live our lives in every area. Set goals for the kind of person you are committed to become, be it emotionally, physically, financially, for our relationships and our attitudes. Something happens the minute you set goals. Immediately you change because immediately your expectations of yourself and your life changes. You acknowledge to both your conscious and subconscious minds that you are not satisfied with where you are.
One of the major motivating factors in life is that sense of dissatisfaction. In order to direct our lives we need to use both the positive and the negative consequences of goals. Ask yourself what will I gain by attaining my goals? Also ask yourself what will it cost me eventually if I do not achieve my goal? Also be aware that sometimes achieving a goal can have negative effects.
Pursuing things in life is important because it has the power to motivate us More importantly we need to realize that at the end of our lives it is not the things we accumulated that will matter. What will matter is who we became as a person. You need to understand that we are not really after any “thing†in life but rather the way we think it will make us feel. You don’t want more money but you do want the way it will make you feel - that feeling of freedom, that sense of security, and having the time to do what you want to do, etc. Using these feelings can help us define the goals we want for our life. It is critically important to know WHY we want something. When it comes to setting goals you should know that purpose is stronger than outcome. Purpose is a reason for attaining something and a reason is a plan for action also known as motivation.
The power of setting goals is that it directs our focus. Every great success will talk about the power of focus. We get whatever we focus on. It has been said that circumstances does not make the person, but reveals him to himself. We are who and what we are because of our thoughts. Therefore it is very important to have goals that help us focus on what we want most for ourselves and our lives. Thoughts are things. As you think so you are and so you will become.

Set your goals, regardless of past “failuresâ€. Start fresh and plan your work, then work your plan. Above all, enjoy your life and live it with passion. It is all out there. The only thing you need to do is to go and get it. The first step is to have a goal.

for my next trick I will now graph the slope and intersect of a system of equations...UGH..I hate Algebra..lol

Good job, Matt! I was motivated just reading it, and I agree that everyone should have a goal. It makes you feel much better about yourself and gives you that reason to get up and go each morning. :D :congrats:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back