Cross Drilled Rotors*** UPDATED 7/16 With Pics***

ROKTMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finished the backs tonight .Did the fronts before the Indy Nats but the program is different for the back since they are 14".They look killer .Just about 1.5 hours for each set.Painted the hats black.

Hope I can get someone to take pics of them to post up.Maybe in Indy this weekend .

Train horns on in the morning then off to Indy.:burnout:

http://www.pbase.com/saabqueen/image/63551839

Last edited:
Did it on a CNC machine.The programs are different as there are 15" fronts and 14" rears. You have to skip some to make the pattern even as there is 61 holes in the fronts and I think 47 on the rear.I can`t remember exactly.
Venom Motorsports Direct,one of our Supporting Vendors does it for $250.00 on your rotors.Might give John a call.

ROKTMAN said:
Finished the backs tonight .Did the fronts before the Indy Nats but the program is different for the back since they are 14".They look killer .Just about 1.5 hours for each set.Painted the hats black.

Hope I can get someone to take pics of them to post up.Maybe in Indy this weekend .

Train horns on in the morning then off to Indy.:burnout:

keep an eye on them over time for spider cracks around the drilled holes, especially in the front.

no doubt , burning down the road, doing a nice little show off, from the hot chick winking at you in the next car over at the redlight,,, BAM you wheel just came off, now shes laughing at you...

Thats my woarse fear in a car, that the tire will blow, or a ball join give out. Or rotor.. I guess when that happens you put your head between you knees and kiss your Azz goodbye.

Sorry for the slight highjack, back to regular schedule post :)

I was told after drilling you should have the rotors cryogenically treated at -300f
to give the metal more strength and less chance of the spider cracks!! ;)

John Hennessey said:
keep an eye on them over time for spider cracks around the drilled holes, especially in the front.
Ok,thankSS John.

Is that something that may occur since we drilled them on the CNC or inherent to the Dodge rotors themselves?

E-BENZ said:
I was told after drilling you should have the rotors cryogenically treated at -300f
to give the metal more strength and less chance of the spider cracks!! ;)
Hmm...Ok.I wasn`t aware of that.Anyone know about that process?

I am in Indy for the Super Chevy Show but my sister came down and took pics of the rotors and the train horns.:rock:

They should be up on my link in my sig by MO at the latest.They look pretty good on the small screen.Hope they turn out right on the web page.

ROKTMAN said:
Ok,thankSS John.

Is that something that may occur since we drilled them on the CNC or inherent to the Dodge rotors themselves?

i am not an expert on the subject. you could call and talk to somebody at stoptech or baer racing and they could talk a lot more about diy cross drilling.

cross drilling looks cool, saves a bit of rotating weight and could possibly cool better. but the oem's like porsche have a special process that they do to factory cross drilled rotors that may include chamfering the holes, heat treating the metal and probably other stuff that they do to reduce the chances of cracking.

i think that the suggestion of having your rotors cryo'd is a good one and that will certainly help the rotors last longer.

good luck with it and post some pics!

Rockt,
I have heard you preaching that " Im so digitally challenged line " for years. sheeet man go down to wal mart and you can get cheapies for $100 no problems.. Welcome to the 20th century.. What's the long term integrity of the brakes going to be like and what guide did you use to work out how to cross drill them???
Maybe you might be ablt to pm me about this as im about to go to bed and when i normally get on the forum late at night the thread are three pages under..
cheers
shane

One thing to remember is that you are drilling a rotor that was not necessarily designed to have that mass removed. Chances are you are weakening the rotor by doing this. I agree that it looks bitchin, but very few of us will ever push our trucks to the point that we would need the benefits that cross drilled rotors would provide.

Okay, it's official. I'm an old fuddy duddy.:eek: Just wanted to make people aware that they may compromise the integrety of their rotors/braking system by doing this.

This has been Puplic Service Announcement # 157.:p ;)

Silverback said:
One thing to remember is that you are drilling a rotor that was not necessarily designed to have that mass removed. Chances are you are weakening the rotor by doing this. I agree that it looks bitchin, but very few of us will ever push our trucks to the point that we would need the benefits that cross drilled rotors would provide.

Okay, it's official. I'm an old fuddy duddy.:eek: Just wanted to make people aware that they may compromise the integrety of their rotors/braking system by doing this.

Out of curiosity would cross drilled rotors help from our brakes making so much noise??

Silverback said:

OEM drilled rotors are done before the heat treating process, and other machining, as it stress relieves them. a non drilled rotor is asking for trouble as you weaken the grain structure when drilling thru it. not having the holes chamfered enhances problems further as the sqaure edge left around the holes perimeter causes a hot spot, and shears the brake pads. drilling stock rotors isnt a good idea.

I agree with JH and Boomer it's not a great idea drilling something that has already been tempered.

BOOMER said:
OEM drilled rotors are done before the heat treating process, and other machining, as it stress relieves them. a non drilled rotor is asking for trouble as you weaken the grain structure when drilling thru it. not having the holes chamfered enhances problems further as the sqaure edge left around the holes perimeter causes a hot spot, and shears the brake pads. drilling stock rotors isnt a good idea.

I totally agree with boomer on this one. Just drilling a rotor without the correct knowledge to do so is just asking for trouble. The pattern and process we use to drill stock rotors works perfect and we have not had any problems on any customer cars. We have a customer that has a set on his viper and he takes it to the local road course almost every week.

The pattern/hole placment is critical. Hole chamfer is also very important. Blank rotors that are used at Chrysler/Dodge are not treated after being drilled. The drilling and resurfacing is done in house. No treatment is done to the rotors after they are finished.

So in the end it all comes down to how it is done and if it is done correctly.

If you have any more questions please let me know.

Steve Austin:burnout:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back