curious to see

pirateman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
someone posted somewhile ago that the last one out turn off the lights, the way everyone is selling their trucks it seems like its getting close. I admit i even have thought about it, but i am in too deep. I added up my reciepts last night then added the 53000.00 purchase price to it and came up with 78432.00. Do you think i am upside down? I mean i see these trucks going for 25000.00. I am not willing to take that kind of a beating. The one thing i cant understand is this, my son just sold his 2002 lightning for 24800.00. It had 42000 miles and in good condition. The srt 10 is , in my opinion a hell of a lot more truck. The L looks like any other ford truck, bone stock a 14 sec. truck, there is no excitement to it , push the gas and go. The upside to it is it rides better, can pull with it, better mpg. But i will take the 6 speed and the look and sound of the srt 10 anyday.But what i am getting at is look what an 02 went for compared to the srt 10. Can anyone explain.The other thing I know dodge put shitty pistons and rods in these engines, i know all too well. But i was at the machine shop the other day and they had the engine out of an 06 vette that had blown. The vette had the same cheap pistons and rods,. I think a lot of these engines are going boom due to the mail order generic tunes.I would never buy one. I am not a tuner but i have been a mechanic for 30 years. I want to stand there and watch my being done, I want to see what the a/f is , where the timing is going etc. There are too many variables for generic tunes, where you live, every vehicle is different. In 04 i bought me and my son two z06's. My sons would leave me in the dust. When we had them dyno'd his had 71 more hp and 68 lbs more torque. Same year hell even the same color. But i hate to see everyone selling , i dont want to be the last one here. I dont want to be the one to turn out the light, hell, I am afraid of the dark.

One thing to keep in mind, even (most of) the ones of us that have sold our trucks haven't left. There's more to this family than that...the lights will be on as long as Jack and Patrick allow them to be, with or with out them damned 'ol trucks...:rock:

I think if you did an actual count you would find that there are more 10s on this forum today than a year ago....another factor here is time...most people that can afford these trucks trade after so many years...it has now been about 2 years since the last SRT10 was built...over 4 yrs since the first was built......new owners are joining all the time..

BTW....there is a 2002 Lightning in the local paper....has been for over 8 months now....asking $14K, excellent condition 43K miles......I believe he started about $22K..............Funny thing..it went up for sale a few weeks after my former Charger SRT8 gave it a whipping after he pulled up at a light saying "let's do it"...:D

i guess it depends what part of the country you are in. They bring low 20's around here and they dont last long. My sons was for sale 3 days

Don't worry not everybody is leaving, alot of us are WAY upside down in these trucks. If I was to sell I'd prolly take a $25K hit. I can't do that so I suck it up, I don't cry when i drop $120 in gas every other day, and I drive it til' the wheels fall off! I just went over 53K miles on mine, hoping to see 153K!:rock: And when the motor decides to go boom, then I'll just sit in it parked in the drive way, and make cool motor noises and pretend to drive it! Yeah!:rock:

pirateman said:
i guess it depends what part of the country you are in. They bring low 20's around here and they dont last long. My sons was for sale 3 days

Surprizing they dont bring more here...this is Ford country...every 3rd car is a Mustang...Shelbys and Roushs are common...I see Lightnings almost daily...I almost bought a 2004 Lightning new back in January of 2005....dealer had had it for a while and was willing to sell for dealer invoice..about $30K fully equipped..
An SRT10 is rare...I will see a QC maybe 3-4 times a year...I have seen only 1 RC locally...a red one that the guy bought after seeing mine...he didnt know SRT10s existed till he saw my.....

Yeah i think alot of us are upside down. Thats the only thing i cant figure out is why these trucks dropped like they did. They are great trucks. I am not exactly sure how many were made but I hardly ever see one around here.

TNVIPER said:
Surprizing they dont bring more here...this is Ford country...every 3rd car is a Mustang...Shelbys and Roushs are common...I see Lightnings almost daily...I almost bought a 2004 Lightning new back in January of 2005....dealer had had it for a while and was willing to sell for dealer invoice..about $30K fully equipped..
An SRT10 is rare...I will see a QC maybe 3-4 times a year...I have seen only 1 RC locally...a red one that the guy bought after seeing mine...he didnt know SRT10s existed till he saw my.....
I know I have people here say what kind of body kit is that, does it have the hemi?Maybe i should come up there and buy some lightnings and bring them back to augusta to sell.

You have to remember we have 5500 members now, you will see a lot more trucks for sale on here than this time last year with half that number.

Not gonna lose my ass on my truck even if I were forced to sell, I have had it 2 years and it would sell for about 5000.00 less than I paid for it.

pirateman said:
someone posted somewhile ago that the last one out turn off the lights, the way everyone is selling their trucks it seems like its getting close. I admit i even have thought about it, but i am in too deep. I added up my reciepts last night then added the 53000.00 purchase price to it and came up with 78432.00. Do you think i am upside down? I mean i see these trucks going for 25000.00. I am not willing to take that kind of a beating. The one thing i cant understand is this, my son just sold his 2002 lightning for 24800.00. It had 42000 miles and in good condition. The srt 10 is , in my opinion a hell of a lot more truck. The L looks like any other ford truck, bone stock a 14 sec. truck, there is no excitement to it , push the gas and go. The upside to it is it rides better, can pull with it, better mpg. But i will take the 6 speed and the look and sound of the srt 10 anyday.But what i am getting at is look what an 02 went for compared to the srt 10. Can anyone explain.The other thing I know dodge put shitty pistons and rods in these engines, i know all too well. But i was at the machine shop the other day and they had the engine out of an 06 vette that had blown. The vette had the same cheap pistons and rods,. I think a lot of these engines are going boom due to the mail order generic tunes.I would never buy one. I am not a tuner but i have been a mechanic for 30 years. I want to stand there and watch my being done, I want to see what the a/f is , where the timing is going etc. There are too many variables for generic tunes, where you live, every vehicle is different. In 04 i bought me and my son two z06's. My sons would leave me in the dust. When we had them dyno'd his had 71 more hp and 68 lbs more torque. Same year hell even the same color. But i hate to see everyone selling , i dont want to be the last one here. I dont want to be the one to turn out the light, hell, I am afraid of the dark.
Pirateman
I am new here but highly doubt the lights will ever go out. I am not a new owner yet but will be soon and even with the few people I have met this family will long outlive the metal. When I get mine I would make it a garage queen and drive a beater before I would sell if I couldn't afford it anymore. As long as I could drive to Earls for Ken's Bday party once a year it would be worth it.

Well for me, mine is a lease...and since they are not holding their value why should I buy out the truck at the end of the lease when I can buy one for much less. Plus I upgraded to a Viper.

If it doesn't happen now I will get back into one in a few years!

my wife says i bought mine a year to early. maybe. but she knows i love it and for the most part lets me waste money on mods and gas. hell i drive it everywhere i go. since i got mine two more guys at work have bought em. the rbc wont die. i can only see more people joining. after all the right time to buy something is when its cheap. i had thought seriously about trading mine, i had looked at vette's and cts-v's. but i cannot even fathom driving anything else. could you?

When I bought my truck, as I've done with every other hot rod piece of machinery I've ever owned, I went into it understanding that it was no investment and no keepsake. The sticker shock isn't bad when you go in with that mindset.

Sure, in 20 years if I held onto it and kept it up, the truck could be worth something and the kids could play with it and whatever else. But it's worth my cash every time I drive it.

A lot of folks who have hit financial hard times just couldn't afford to keep em. Hell, it may happen to me in the coming troubles. Will I be burned about the cash that went into my truck? No.

I have realized that I bought mine too soon,also.I didn't get hurt at $31,000 but some '05's are going for 25-28k now and modded at that !!!!!!!

I have a little over $9000 in mods now !! How quickly they add up !!!!

I bought my 2001 Lightning for $32,000 and had $8000 in mods and then sold it for $26,000. Only had it for two years and less than 15k miles.

I hope I don't have to sell this truck,cuz I luv it !!!!!!!!!!!!! :marchmellow: :D :rock:

I paid $32K for mine over two years ago...I have put just over $32K in mods...but the mods pay for themselves...in spades...

If I were to sell mine with zero miles on the new engine I would expect to get about $30K...and never look back...

Just FYI.............. I'm the one who said, "will the last one to sell his truck, please turn out the lights..."

But, it was not a death knell to the forum..... or a eulogy.... It was just an expression.

Relax................

I sold my truck 6 months ago and (much to the chagrin of some members) I am still fkn here.....

Don't get yer knickers in a twist.

From what I've observed, many members here are (financially) stretched like a condom on a basketball. These are indivduals who are in WAY over their heads. They bought these trucks because they are thee most testosterone laden trucks on the planet. Those who could really afford to (do so) have even moved on to Viper coupes.... Some of you turd burglars even have both.... (I salute you). But many have been knocked into next week with the overall economy, the loss of an income, the price of gasoline and just plain old bad luck....

When one takes all these factors into consideration, it should come as no surprise that a number of us poor bastards have gotten out... Many, many others can't get out from under their trucks and (for one reason or another) would really like to....

If I had the money today, I'd by something else... Probably a F/I Corvette C6 of some kind.... I've been there and done that with the SRT-10... It's probably the most impractical (but fun) vehicle on the planet... I loved mine, but it's now time to move on....... Some haven't had the experience yet ... and they really should.... They are fun as hell.... But if ya ' can't take the financial heat...GTF out 'a the garage....

And turn off the fkn lights when you leave....... the garage.......not the VTCOA. ;)

D

Last edited:
505'sFastestViper. said:
gotta love the viper ........ps im missin my left workboot if u have seen it pm me

Pretty sure I saw it at a Ho House in Tijuana:rock: :rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back