Cutting the front coils down how much to cut anyone done it

Ok guys........first thanks to Jack for being so positive...

To the others.....explain to me why it is so called Ghetto to cut these coils down? And why label people as a backyard mechanic doing things half ass!

For those of you who only own an srt 10 and nothing else in life and dump money into it like it is unlimited...you may buy the best for me I am on a budget and am trying to save a few dollars and see what comes about cutting them down.

I have 3 other sets of coils so no worry if I screw up I can fix my mistakes.

This is what make forums so aweful these days...nobody can be positive only negative!

Half Ass here we come!

:aetsch: :aetsch: :aetsch: :aetsch: :aetsch: :aetsch: :aetsch: :aetsch:

Cutting a spring down increases the spring rate as JTS correctly points out. Problem becomes that you have now increased the spring rate but your shocks damping rate is the same. Question becomes how much can you cut to where the spring doesn't overload the shocks damping? Perfect example is trucks/cars bouncing down the road. The spring is over powering the shocks damping ie. unable to control the spring under tension.

Cut them down and give it a whirl since you have additional springs on hand. Reason people say it makes the truck handle poorly is again damping from the shocks is insufficient. Find a shock with proper damping and you're golden as the stiffer spring will certainly aid in cornering...too a point.

Ok guys........first thanks to Jack for being so positive...

To the others.....explain to me why it is so called Ghetto to cut these coils down? And why label people as a backyard mechanic doing things half ass!

For those of you who only own an srt 10 and nothing else in life and dump money into it like it is unlimited...you may buy the best for me I am on a budget and am trying to save a few dollars and see what comes about cutting them down.

I have 3 other sets of coils so no worry if I screw up I can fix my mistakes.

This is what make forums so aweful these days...nobody can be positive only negative!

Half Ass here we come!

:aetsch: :aetsch: :aetsch: :aetsch: :aetsch: :aetsch: :aetsch: :aetsch:

Ok to be honest with ya dude, cutting coils will not effect that much control, driving ability at all, just 1 turn from the pig tail not a full turn and a half like people assume it to be.

I have built many hydraulic cars along with my friend, and owned many also.

I could build my truck without any coils in it at all and ride like a caddy with air suspension, How ????????????????????? very easy it's called accumulators.

do a bridge in the rear small notch again only using accumulators.

Hey man I am all about doing it myself and such, ghetto is taking a torch with is totally different, cutting is cutting, torching is where springs sag due to heat and weight, only things is over the course of the night being done, springs are not cooled 100% so 1-2 inches drop over night is not uncommon.

some people build motors and know all to be known about these trucks which is not me.

But I have wrapped many G-body frames, control arms upper and lower, gusset to reinforce rear ends from bending under car dancing or weight of batterys in truck, chained front ends up to prevent front end total damage due to ball joints breaking.

right now my friend just put 4 ton hopping springs in his malibu 78, and could take a 4 hour roadtrip with no problem.

not trying to smash or start any drama with anybody, but I can say this cause I know this. I would take a cut spring over a air bagged setup anyday, only little lines hold your air in plus bags can bust, then it's all the way down.

ok heres my opinion . being the cajun(coonass) engineering tech that i am , i can find every freaking use for duct tape on this great earth !!!!.. we buy 50K trucks put 5k of gas a year , i think we should be able to afford got dam correct spings from stinky !!!!! that is all !!!!!!:elefant::toilet:

please for goodness sakes tho, dont ever never torch springs, you will be sorry 3 months later

Basically to me, having done nothing but suspensions on oem and racing in gms and years of bike racing, there is alot of difference in doing it right , and adding this or that,
I could offer a hemi spring, or jsut take oem springs and cut a coil, and do it the backyard bob way, but I try to make sure what you get is what is designed to work and work the absolute best it can, thre is more to spring rates , tension, dampning and rebound then most here can imagine, jsut changine the geometry from lowering the rear only changes the overall ride and handling of the truck, much less jsut cutting the front springs.

depends on what you want in the end, a caddilac that can bounce ten feet high or an srt that still rides and handles like an srt was designed to
your choice

Because I like to do things correct and people with undoubtably come in an say I am wrong an all that , but it changes the spring rate, changes the handling and the way the truck was designed to ride and handle

I cant imagine taking a corvette or viper or ferrarri and taking a torch to lower it down a little, I guess i hold the trucks to a higher degree of respect than others

Couldnt put it in better words:rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back