Cylinder Heads

prattiare

Reaction score
Has anybody sent their heads to INDY Cylinder head for oversized valves, port work, bowl blend, springs, cam & lifters? They are quoting $3300.00 for entire package without shipping and claim 120 horsepower increase on pup gas with no spray.

please post a link, thats not that much more than the headers I am fixin to buy

I suggest you PM FSTJACK with that question. He and I have talked about that very subject, and he knows what he is talking about.

Bill.

Do a search. 1Fast400 had head work done by INDY and then he sold them to someone, but damned if I can remember who.

Silverback said:
Do a search. 1Fast400 had head work done by INDY and then he sold them to someone, but damned if I can remember who.

He gave them to me as a birthday gift ;)

They were just ported heads, no valve train work. Picked up 20rwhp.

mmmmtorque said:
He gave them to me as a birthday gift ;)

They were just ported heads, no valve train work. Picked up 20rwhp.
That's alot more realistic. You'll probably get 10-15 more by doing the valvetrain work too but there is NO way they'll give you anywhere near 120 more.

I am hoping for 80-100 for cam, head work, valve train, intake and throttle body.

ViperTruck2933 said:
That's alot more realistic. You'll probably get 10-15 more by doing the valvetrain work too but there is NO way they'll give you anywhere near 120 more.

I am hoping for 80-100 for cam, head work, valve train, intake and throttle body.
Which throttle body are you using?

Bill.

ViperTruck2933 said:

I picked up another 25rwhp with the cam suggested by Indy. I have a ported throttle body on the way....So figure I am in the 55rwhp area with those mods.

mmmmtorque said:
I picked up another 25rwhp with the cam suggested by Indy. I have a ported throttle body on the way....So figure I am in the 55rwhp area with those mods.
Nice. I think Joe's estimate for 80-100 hp gain for me should be pretty accurate if the cam works as well as he thinks it will.

moparracing said:
do you intent to go to forced induction after that or is that where you plan to stop ?
I MAY add about 100 shot of NO2 if I am close to running 11s (just to get me over the hump). No S/C or turbo for me. :eek:

ViperTruck2933 said:
Nice. I think Joe's estimate for 80-100 hp gain for me should be pretty accurate if the cam works as well as he thinks it will.

Sounds about right ;) I usually run conservative on the timing and a little more agressive on the fuel (lean 13.0). Next dyno tune I may move to more timing and a A/F of 12.0 to see if I can squeeze out some more ponies.

Anyway, putting on a 150 wet shot to get me in the 11's. My tranny has kept me out of sub 12.5's so far and should have that fixed in the next 3 weeks after the rebuild.

I would like to see Joe's VEC2/3 tune on your truck (the .cbc file) for comparison when you are done ;)

I have experience with Indy Cylinder on my 69 Coronet using their heads and got the advertised 120 horses at the crank. Don't plan on using Paxton or NOS. Just want to see how much can be had using stock bottom end, biggest cam, all the valve size the heads will take, and all the porting and bowl work the heads will take all while running pump gas. Who ports the intakes??

prattiare said:
I have experience with Indy Cylinder on my 69 Coronet using their heads and got the advertised 120 horses at the crank. Don't plan on using Paxton or NOS. Just want to see how much can be had using stock bottom end, biggest cam, all the valve size the heads will take, and all the porting and bowl work the heads will take all while running pump gas. Who ports the intakes??
Joe Donovan will be doing just the intake runners on my intake. It is cost prohibitive to cut open the intake, do a full port job and weld it back up. I don't know who else will do them. Joe is doing mine because he is doing my heads/cam.
The biggest cam is going to be subjective depending on who you talk to. Joe has done MANY Gen I, II, III Viper cams and he told me that once you reach a certain lift/duration the power just absolutely falls on it's face in the higher rpms (5,000+). We are going as big as he dares to go without losing the torque/power curve.
Of course, I am the guinea pig too. He may make minor adjustments bigger or smaller on the next truck he builds depending on how mine performs.;)

Has anyone done an extrude hone on the intake to knock out the casting flaws? That would be much easier than cutting it open to port it.

-Muzzy

Muzzy said:
Has anyone done an extrude hone on the intake to knock out the casting flaws? That would be much easier than cutting it open to port it.

-Muzzy
That's what I am saying. The extrude hone can only reach the intake runners and the mouth. It can't get in to do the whole inside of the intake. You would have to open in up to do it right and that would cost more than it's worth.

Sorry to be ignorant, who is Joe Donavan? I definitely need to speak with him on his experience with V 10's. What lift and duration cams do well on these trucks? I am a carb guy and will have a learning curve with respect to engine control modulators and fuel injection. I know enough about these to be dangerous.

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back