Daytona 500

QckSlvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about that race, that was awesome!

Just returned back from the track and so happy for Penske to go 1 and 2.

I do wish it would have been the other way around and my blue deuce would have made it into victory lane, but as I was listening to Kurt Busch on the scanner he was soooo happy for Ryan and was really emotional to be pushing him across the finish line and feel like he was partially responsible for getting Newman into first place. Definitely not the first loser, but rather a really happy teammate!

Pre-race was great, a celebration of 50 years at Daytona, old race cars from the 60's and music from then. Next came the 70's and more period racecars (all from Petty enterprises) and Kool and the gang provided the music. Then the 80's only one car, Bill Elliott's #9 Coors Melling Ford T-bird (this is the last time the race cars actually looked like the cars you buy and drive on the street. Next the 90's (represented by DJ's 88 Ford Credit, Davey Allison's 28 Havoline and 1 other), music by Brooks and Dunn (finally got the crowd into it). 2000's was Jeff Gordon's 24, Jimmy Johnson's 48 and 1 other that escapes me now and more Brooks and Dunn which was fine with me.

The race was fun at the beginning, but then stretched out a little and green flag racing is a little boring after 40 laps, but 42 lead changes later the race was over and Ryan Newman in the #12 Alltel Dodge was being pushed across the finish line by a teammate in the #2 Miller Lite Dodge!

With Superspeedway racing this good in the COT platform, it's all but finished for IRL/CART - hell all the drivers are jumping over to NASCAR anyways, so the last driver out can turn out the lights.

Sorry for the long post, but this 50th running of the Daytona 500 was worth every word.

I agree! It was a great race. And "Awesome Bill from Dawsonville" will always be my fav. Used to love watchin them old T-Birds hit 200mph+!

I will check into the details, I was reading about it a few days ago, need to check the schedule, but I may be able to attend.

6 F'n DODGES in the TOP 10,how friggin great is that ???:rock: :rock: :rock: Ole Read Sorenson did really well there !!!!! I hope this is an indication of things to come for the Dodge Boyz !!!!!!!:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

it was a great race.I agree the first and middle part was a little boring.It sure got good at the later stages!! Cautions breed cautions and man there were alot at the end of the race.My guy Mark Martin sure had some bad luck.Cut two tires two laps down,comes back into the top 15 and Bam! Wrong place at the wrong time.And so it goes with mark.Another dissapointing 500 for him.
Nice to see the dodges out run the toyota's for the win!!

i got to see bits and pieces between all the tornado warnings and watches. did get to see the last 2 laps.

mauiSRT/10 said:
The long green runs do get boring but overall it was a great race. I dig the COT. I imagine there is a hellova traffic jam getting out of Daytona after the race?

patrick

Not sure about Daytona but Talladega is a pain in the butt!!

#12:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

mauiSRT/10 said:
The long green runs do get boring but overall it was a great race. I dig the COT. I imagine there is a hellova traffic jam getting out of Daytona after the race?

patrick

Did not make it this year but have been several times. Local law does an amazing job getting people out of there considering how many there are!!
It also helps to know the back way out!! I-4 is a major pain but you just gotta plan on it,not get pissed and hope you got enough beer left over!!:D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back