DC engineer discussion

Nowwhat said:
I would like confirmation that the SRT is the ONLY vehicle that uses our axle ends....

Oh and just a quick question mike, are you looking for a just a smaller caliper, or a smaller rotor and a caliper?

FerrariTruck said:
Oh and just a quick question mike, are you looking for a just a smaller caliper, or a smaller rotor and a caliper?

the rotors are 13.95", its the calipers that get in the way...but they are just matched w/ the rotors...so a 12" rotor/caliper combo would be good...now the problem is the axle flange is too large..but were looking at custom rotors :D :rock:

RedSrt007 said:
the rotors are 13.95", its the calipers that get in the way...but they are just matched w/ the rotors...so a 12" rotor/caliper combo would be good...now the problem is the axle flange is too large..but were looking at custom rotors :D :rock:

Well wouldnt just a shorter caliper do the trick? I mean didnt vprpwr shave down his caliper and run 16" wheel combo?

OCBob said:
Jack, I can't wait to see this truck of yours. Seems like it might have been easier to start from scratch LOL.

Knowing what I do today, I would have back halfed it (with a 9") instead of fitting everything into the stock chasis.
The Dana is brutally strong and should live for at least ??? (200-400) trans brake starts with big tires.

I am not sure how long a 9" would live with the same weight and HP.

Launching off a trans brake is much harsher on the drivetrain than dumping the clutch with a stick.

Rear end stuff does go away fast at this level.

Whats wrong with shaving the caliper????That sounds like the most viable alternative at this point. VPRPWR and JH have succesfully done this.

RedSrt007 said:

Summit lists a 12" diameter rotor that is 5 on 5.5 for our trucks. it is slotted also. Who knows ther info could be wrong but you might want to look into it.

Part #PSR-8749PSL

mopar_mudder said:
Summit lists a 12" diameter rotor that is 5 on 5.5 for our trucks. it is slotted also. Who knows ther info could be wrong but you might want to look into it.

Part #PSR-8749PSL

Thanks mopar, but the rotor isnt the whole issue. The caliper mounts to the axle via the caliper brackets at the axle ends, so the caliper would still be in the same location and not give us anymore clearance. Were working on rotors that (hopefully) allow us to keep out emergency brake set, custom caliper mounts, and smaller rotor. But from the looks of it, new calipers/rotors/brackets, are the least of things....

Last edited:
mopar_mudder said:

Part #PSR-8749PSL

Thanks bro but that part won't fit the SRT 10....

I'm just throwing this out for someone else to look at. Don't know if it will work or not.

Can the stock rotor be turned to a smaller diameter? Then custom fab a new bracket for a Hemi caliper. Then if necessary cut the pads to fit the new rotor diameter.

Just a thought. I have not bothered to look at my rear brakes to see if it's possible or not. Probably would screw up the ABS and not work worth a shit for regular driving, but for those only concerned about drag racing and being able to run slicks it might be an option. In my opinion it would be a shitload better than removing the rear brakes entirely.

Silverback said:
I'm just throwing this out for someone else to look at. Don't know if it will work or not.

Can the stock rotor be turned to a smaller diameter? Then custom fab a new bracket for a Hemi caliper. Then if necessary cut the pads to fit the new rotor diameter.

Just a thought. I have not bothered to look at my rear brakes to see if it's possible or not. Probably would screw up the ABS and not work worth a shit for regular driving, but for those only concerned about drag racing and being able to run slicks it might be an option. In my opinion it would be a shitload better than removing the rear brakes entirely.

Silver....I have thought about this but....can a machine shop mill down the outside diameter of the rotor...?...and would the machining compromise the rotor's integrity....?

Nowwhat said:
Silver....I have thought about this but....can a machine shop mill down the outside diameter of the rotor...?...and would the machining compromise the rotor's integrity....?
No because as long as the brake pad surface area is the same as the rotor surface area you will be ok. Also be sure to note that because you are shaving the rotor diameter, you must also compensate for the location of the center of the caliper piston relative to the new braking area. This is so that the pressure is evely distributed on the area and not unbalanced. I hope I haven't confused anyone. I need a diagram.
As for a new bracket, I'm sure you can use the rear end brakes of a hemi magnum or daytona (rumble bee?) (which should have smaller calipers) and substitute them here. As lomg as the hat clears and the bolt diameters are the same. I have seen ABS sensors located in the differential gearbox (not sure about the SRT-10) so I would assume no impact on the system with the modifications.

Nowwhat said:

The rotor is not loaded from that direction. It only sees compressive loads from the application of the brakes. That is why you can only resurface a rotor until it reaches the minimum thickness that is identified on the hat section.

If you do this just be sure to break the sharp edges from the turning process. Sharp edges lead to stress risers.

I don't (in ANY way) want to be counterproductive to this thread....

But to be perfectly honest..... Dan Cragin, BOOMER, Rokt, Silver, Nowwhat, VIPRPWR, RedRam and the many other knowledgeable members of this forum ARE my chief source for any answers regarding this truck..

And while I do realize that DC is ultimately the last resort for some (of the more esoteric) questions. But I trust you all much more than the integrity of a DC lacky who's more interested in covering his corporate ass than revealing hard data that might tarnish DCs image.

You guys really do know yer shit...... DC just blows smoke up our collective ass. I'm so done with them it isn't even funny any more.

SD

Silent D said:
I don't (in ANY way) want to be counterproductive to this thread....

But to be perfectly honest..... Dan Cragin, BOOMER, Rokt, Silver, Nowwhat, VIPRPWR, RedRam and the many other knowledgeable members of this forum ARE my chief source for any answers regarding this truck..

And while I do realize that DC is ultimately the last resort for some (of the more esoteric) questions. But I trust you all much more than the integrity of a DC lacky who's more interested in covering his corporate ass than revealing hard data that might tarnish DCs image.

You guys really do know yer shit...... DC just blows smoke up our collective ass. I'm so done with them it isn't even funny any more.

SD

Not counterproductive at all.....and I wouldn't let them change the oil in my truck either.....

I was just hoping that in their (DC's) quest for profitability they pulled pre-existing axle ends from the parts bin....from....a Van or a export only vehicle....?....

Silverback said:

Silverback, I don't think this would do us any good. Hemi Rams also need a 17" rim to clear the calipers. Some guys have run a 16 rim by grinding on the calipers. :(

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back