Difficulty in Climbing up the Viper Truck

DeeanaWelch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 7-year-old dog is having a hard time climbing up the truck due to his mild arthritis. I'm thinking if a ramp would help him. Any thoughts? Appreciate your suggestions.

If you are familiar with Catahoula dogs you'll know they are jumpers. I'm 6'3" and he is 60lbs and when excited he can launch his whole body up to where we are eyeball to eyeball. Needless to say, jumping up into my truck was never an issue. He often landed in the opposite seat! He turned 16yrs old this year and about a year ago he decided he no longer wants to do our daily 8 mile run nor jump up into the truck. Age has caught up with him...and me lol. He goes with me just about everywhere still. I just pick him up....:rock:

I know Catahoula dogs. It's a really tough breed, isn't it? So you carry him on and off the truck? :) As for my dog, she's sometimes pained whenever we hold her. Maybe that's the effect of her arthritis. She's more comfortable walking by herself but struggling.
I'm thinking if a ramp will do her good. I saw some advertisements about it.

I know Catahoula dogs. It's a really tough breed, isn't it? So you carry him on and off the truck? :) As for my dog, she's sometimes pained whenever we hold her. Maybe that's the effect of her arthritis. She's more comfortable walking by herself but struggling.
I'm thinking if a ramp will do her good. I saw some advertisements about it.

I've had dogs my whole life and was not familiar with the Catahoula breed. I picked him up shortly after when Katrina hit New Orleans and was dispatched to help out. I was on site 3rd day after and stayed for a week. (setting up 2way radio system to cover the area). When I got home I worked thru our church and did a donation drive. It was too successful. Thankfully, local Walmart dist center donated a 53' footer and one of our church members was CDL. He got down there and locals needed help with all the dogs. They threw a good 50 dogs in the back of that semi and he headed back. Local shelters pulled thru with taking the dogs, inventorying them and finding foster homes. Many were returned to owners 6 months later. Horrible way to transport dogs btw...

My sister volunteered at one of the shelters. She called me and said they had one dog left from Katrina and no one would take him. He was biting and fighting constantly. I'm pretty good with dogs so offered to come down and take a look. I entered his cell and he just snarled at me. Teeth bared. He was young but full sized. I just stood there staring and he did same snarling back at me. Took a while but he finally broke eye contact and I knew he was salvageable/savable. Still, no one would take him and they were going to put him down. I went back down and took him. I certainly didn't need/want a 3rd dog at the time but there was something about him I liked.

Hearty breed to say the least. Pretty smart too and extremely athletic. Down sides to the breed (or at least mine) was too much energy. If no way to relieve that energy they can be destructive. Once I got him trained enough to be in public and going with me on daily runs/walks (multiple per day) he mellowed out. Twice a year a couple of us run the Grand Canyon Rim2Rim in a single day. I'd never take a dog on something that grueling but one year decided I'd take him. He'd proven himself capable keeping up with me while on the Mtn bike for 15+ mile rides. He made it look easy...

He's the only dog I have now and not sure how much longer he's going to go. Most his size don't make it this long and he's still in pretty good shape. He can still run (some) but his walk has turned into the old dog walk with the swaying hips. I did see a Vet when I first got him and he was very familiar with the breed. He told me two things...breeders had not ruined that breed ala AKC and they were extremely healthy dogs. Told me laughing that that would probably be the last time he'd ever see the dog except for vac shots. So far he's been right...dog has never had an illness or issue.

My sister has an older dog that sounds similar to yours...can be painful to pick him up. I built a small ramp with some carpeting.

Great dogs, nice read Chuck....

I was checking ramps online and I came across this roll-up dog ramp. I'm wondering if this would be a suitable style of a ramp for a truck use. Any thoughts about this?

18-link-ramp4paws-roll-up-dog-ramp

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back