Dodge selling off the Viper?!?!?

It seems profits and sales are driving this train. But, what do they expect -- for 2007, the Viper was basically the same vehicle that was offered in 2006. 2008 brought about significant changes to the platform and sales now increase. Makes sence to me why sales tanked in 2007.

Also, Chrysler and Dodge seem to be contradicting themselves within the news article. Early on in the article it is stated that one of Dodge's core products is the full size Ram pickup and that by selling off the Viper more focus can be directed into this area. OK, but later on in the article a comment is made that states that since Cerberus took control, Chrysler has been working to cut costs and move its focus from out-of-favor pickups and SUVs. Alright which is it? :dontknow:

Last edited:
"The money would be better spent on other Dodge products, like the Charger and the Caliber —"

What the hell are they thinking? Flood the market with Chargers? And the Caliber? I love Dodge, but the Caliber is completely useless!! There is no room in them and absolutely no pick-up!! I use to think they were a cool looking car (for a small engine Dodge), but once I sat in one - I felt like I had no room to move (and I'm not that tall!).

Dodge keeps screwing up! They surely destroyed the design of the Ram with that funky slant front end :puke:

85,000 price tag is not something the average consumer can afford. The Charger and Caliber is a move for Chrysler to sell more affordable cars.

Turtle, you would have said the samething about the K car, they were ugly, plain, and had a 2.2 liter engine in it. but it got them out of the hole they were in sales and profitability.

If I was a board member, I would do the same thing.

I read about this about 3 weeks ago in the Automotive dealer news. I posted it on a challenger forum and almost got band from the site. In the automotive news article it said that Chrysler could get up to 100 million for it. It also said that Chrysler would likely continue to support the viper in some way. No time table has been set for its sale.

From a purely business viewpoint, it's real hard to argue with this move. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that SRT is also on the chopping block.

OCBob said:
From a purely business viewpoint, it's real hard to argue with this move. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that SRT is also on the chopping block.

Bite your Tongue!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

I really doubt that, it just an upgrade version of a car they are already selling. It like Ford mustang having the cobra package. If someone want to throw down the money, they will make it. The SRT are a high end car, and not every swing Tom, Dick or Henry can afford to buy a new one off the floor.

Worst case is they just would not offer the SRT package if the sales and want is not there.

The Present day charger and New Challenger sells have been good for Chrysler. As long as the lower end models keep the numbers up, the SRT will be offered I would think.

iraqivet01 said:
Bite your Tongue!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

I really doubt that, it just an upgrade version of a car they are already selling. It like Ford mustang having the cobra package. If someone want to throw down the money, they will make it. The SRT are a high end car, and not every swing Tom, Dick or Henry can afford to buy a new one off the floor.
SRT is a group within Chrysler though. That means they might carry their own budget and P&L's. The pendulum is swinging in the direction of hybrids and the like. The market for SRT vehicles is relatively small, and I would hazard to guess that most folks that want one and can afford one, already have one. Consumers are a finicky bunch, and love to ride the wave of what's in. Right now, that isn't performance vehicles. Think about it, there are still brand new SRT-10 trucks sitting on some lots (that I have heard about) and how long has it been since they stopped making them?

I hope it doesn't happen, but fully expect it.

At first I was going to go on this long diatribe about how I thought the viper never made any sense... it doesn't have multiple platforms which makes it more costly... they didn't design it with drivers in mind... blah blah blah...but then, I decided I would spare you all the agony and spare myself the retorts like, 'tidnab you're a moron' or 'tidnab you're a panzy and don't know how to drive' or... my personal favorite 'tidnab, you just couldn't afford one u h8r'...

Besides.... didn't we all know it was going soon anyway??

tidnab your a moron... , and a Panzy, and you could afford one anyways..

:D :D :D
Not really, just figure I would spice up this thread since it moving kind of slow

It wasn't like I stalked the dealerships in August waiting for the newest model to hit the floor. I rarely if ever see one on the road around here in OKC.

OCBob said:
SRT is a group within Chrysler though. That means they might carry their own budget and P&L's. The pendulum is swinging in the direction of hybrids and the like. The market for SRT vehicles is relatively small, and I would hazard to guess that most folks that want one and can afford one, already have one. Consumers are a finicky bunch, and love to ride the wave of what's in. Right now, that isn't performance vehicles. Think about it, there are still brand new SRT-10 trucks sitting on some lots (that I have heard about) and how long has it been since they stopped making them?

I hope it doesn't happen, but fully expect it.

OK, make a SRT out of a hybrid. :rock: I personally could care less how the thing is powered -- they can power it with horse $hit for all I care -- only as long as it spits out 500 plus ponies in return and handles/drives like it is on rails and brakes like there is no tomorrow. The latter 2 I think Dodge has ironed out pretty well -- now the engine part ;)

the best things come to an end...Life & looks like Dodge Vipers

its best to have both of them!

If I'm not mistaken, the automakers have long had "Halo" vehicles (Viper, Z06, GT) not for the sake of making money, but to build interest in their respective brands. It would seem to be a mistake to sell off a significant chunk of that brand recognition, regardless of how the product is selling.

if viper goes i will go down to the dealer that day and unload all 3 of my trucks and buy a volkswagon. i have been saving for one for a while, but it looks like ill be stuck with a lotus.

Ram From Hell said:
If I'm not mistaken, the automakers have long had "Halo" vehicles (Viper, Z06, GT) not for the sake of making money, but to build interest in their respective brands. It would seem to be a mistake to sell off a significant chunk of that brand recognition, regardless of how the product is selling.

I'd agree partially however
1: The Z06 is based on the corvette and has multiple platforms... you can buy a base vette for high 40's?
2: the GT is a true mid engine supercar and while Ford brought it back for a short time I still see their halo vehicle as the Salleen, the SVT Mustang, or the new GT500KR (although there are more to list)
3: why would it be a mistake to sell it off, they were going to kill the project anyway
4: I don't and never have considered the viper the 'halo car' of dodge and I'm suprised if any of you do either... the cars you brought up & the one I brought up have one thing in common... they've all been around since the 60's.. if there was a 'halo' car for dodge it'd be the charger which I think actually started as a Dodge Dart One could also argue the Challenger perhaps... I think Dodge is doing some interesting things with their engine options for those vehicles...

If you're going to argue that the viper will always be the best thing dodge has ever put out... I'll pre-emptively say that in retrospect Dodge bought Lamborghini (which was probably the inspiration to create the viper) back in 1987 and sold it again in 1994... when did the viper come out, 89? 90? coincodence?? I still believe that the Lambo was (for it's time) the best vehicle dodge ever put out... unless you want to say that daimler owned dodge for a short time and the McClaren SLR was the best LOL but now we're just getting crazy...

In closing, I think it's good that Dodge is selling it off, the other option was to just close the factory maybe another company can take it over and improve upon it and continue the ... dare I say, legacy?

:marchmellow:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back