Does anyone have jewelry expertise

Demon 8

Supporting Member
Reaction score
With my grandmother's passing I have a collection of jewelry across the board in value I am guessing. I imagine there are pieces we will keep but the majority will be sold....I just dont know how to get the most value out of it. By the way I am not talking a couple hundred bucks here probably over
10k possibly over 20k. I had a good friend look over the collection who has some knowledge that gave me a rough guess.
Any and all suggestions as to how to get it appraised through the selling phase are appreciated

take it to someone(a jeweler) you trust and have it appraised.

eddie102870 said:
take it to someone(a jeweler) you trust and have it appraised.

Too much to transport and I dont really want to invite someone to the house either. I will talk to a jeweler and ask the best way which is what I planned. I was just curious if anyone had inherited something like this and how they got the items to market and recieved top dollar. Obviously if the guy wants to buy it from me, he can stick it where the sun dont shine. Auction I suppose but the right people have to be there. Maybe it isnt as complicated as I am making it but these days a dollar is hard to come by so I need all I can get :dontknow:

Demon 8 said:
Too much to transport and I dont really want to invite someone to the house either. I will talk to a jeweler and ask the best way which is what I planned. I was just curious if anyone had inherited something like this and how they got the items to market and recieved top dollar. Obviously if the guy wants to buy it from me, he can stick it where the sun dont shine. Auction I suppose but the right people have to be there. Maybe it isnt as complicated as I am making it but these days a dollar is hard to come by so I need all I can get :dontknow:
if its a lot of diamonds i would look for a liscensed appraiser to appraise it. a lot of older diamonds are worth quite a bit if they are quality. gold on the other hand is different.

Nope no diamonds. A lot of gold and other precious and semi precious gems, pearls...very nice pearls, it was her thing.

Gold is worth a ton right now over $1,100 an ounce I believe. Strike while iron is hot...

Demon 8 said:
I have selected some that will me melt down and go that route.

You might want to have it ALL appraised first... If the jewelry was made by a well known craftsman, it may be worth more to a collector than just the gold content.

If you send items somewhere, I would suggest USPS Certified mail. That is the way most gold companies ship gold, so it should work for you too.

Demon 8 said:

Too much to transport...................?

Is it bigger than a rental cargo van?

If so, it's worth more than 20k..........

D

Django said:
Too much to transport...................?

Is it bigger than a rental cargo van?

If so, it's worth more than 20k..........

D

MMM no but although the 10 is nice its not armored. Talked to a jeweler this afternoon that tells me 1 piece could be over 10g. He needs to see to be sure but has no reason to believe otherwise based on info.
I want it appraised for auction so I can set reserves I am told

Demon 8 said:
MMM no but although the 10 is nice its not armored. Talked to a jeweler this afternoon that tells me 1 piece could be over 10g. He needs to see to be sure but has no reason to believe otherwise based on info.
I want it appraised for auction so I can set reserves I am told

Hope you got a good safe in the house... because it's not armored either. :eek: ;)

You can get a couple of different appraisals
1) For insurance replacement cost retail ( real worth is about 1/5th)
2) For Resale ( real world pricing)
3)For very Special collectibles, stones, jewelry, etc.( approximate value at auction)
Scrap gold is a suckers sale as they only buy at a few dollars per gram. Usually takes a 50 ounces minimum after being refined to get a real price.

BTW, check any stones you may have under different light sources ( florescent verses incandescent and sunlight)
you will be looking for a color change in the stone, like red to green ( If ya find one have it checked carefully) For instance a Real Russian Alexanderite
(crysoberyle family) can be worth thousands per carat.
Just be carefull, the stone and jewelry bandits are waiting for you.

Last edited:
includemeout said:
You can get a couple of different appraisals
1) For insurance replacement cost retail ( real worth is about 1/5th)
2) For Resale ( real world pricing)
3)For very Special collectibles, stones, jewelry, etc.( approximate value at auction)
Scrap gold is a suckers sale as they only buy at a few dollars per gram. Usually takes a 50 ounces minimum after being refined to get a real price.

BTW, check any stones you may have under different light sources ( florescent verses incandescent and sunlight)
you will be looking for a color change in the stone, like red to green ( If ya find one have it checked carefully) For instance a Real Russian Alexanderite
(crysoberyle family) can be worth thousands per carat.
Just be carefull, the stone and jewelry bandits are waiting for you.

Thanks
I will look when I can as she was Russian and had many pieces of Russian jewelry as well as old Russian gold coins

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back