Does Removing the Tailgate and Spare Tire Yield Faster 1/4 Mile Times???

Rice Eater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So all is a go for my first trip to the track tomorrow w/ my new truck. Two weeks ago I traded my Magnum RT for an 04 RC w/ 10k miles. The truck is stock except Centerforce clutch and LW Fidenza Flywheel....and oh a 170 degree stat.

I was wondering what your experiences are w/ dumping the weight of the tail gate and spare tire for faster times? Is aerodynamics improved w/ the tail gate up or with it off? And what about the spare tire? :dontknow: Does that weight over the rear axle really help with traction if I don't have drag radials? Seems like there has to be a trade off some where when you are only pulling weight off the back of the truck.

Thanks for your insight and I'm stoked to be part of this rad forum :rock:

I will post results before I start to order more mods!!

Oh one other quick question....what seems to be the magic RPM to launch at w/ street tires for the best hook up and 60 foot times? TX!!

Well....

It all depends on the track....if it is well prepped and you are hooking up...losing the weight will help....If the track is slick...you will want every ounce...

Make a couple of runs and adjust accordingly....

Lower rear tire pressure to around 22 to 24 lbs. Find your sweet spot to launch whether it be 3k or higher then dump the clutch......no slipping brah!!!! You will toast your new $2k clutch if you slip it. Talking with a centerforce tech, he said this clutch is meant to be dumped not slipped at all!!!

Tailgate up has less resistance than with it down. Leave it up. Shift around 5500 each time and you should be able to see the finish line when shifting into fourth. If you can get a 2.2 sixty or better then you should be in the 13's or faster.

Most importantly, have fun. :rock:

patrick

Weight over the rear axle = good thing.

The wing and the tailgate are designed to work together. The wing provides relatively little downforce but it's most important function is to help break up the vacuum. Losing the tailgate disrupts the air flow and the cab ends up creating much more vacuum and drag.

:dontknow:
mauiSRT/10 said:
Lower rear tire pressure to around 22 to 24 lbs. Find your sweet spot to launch whether it be 3k or higher then dump the clutch......no slipping brah!!!! You will toast your new $2k clutch if you slip it. Talking with a centerforce tech, he said this clutch is meant to be dumped not slipped at all!!!

Tailgate up has less resistance than with it down. Leave it up. Shift around 5500 each time and you should be able to see the finish line when shifting into fourth. If you can get a 2.2 sixty or better then you should be in the 13's or faster.

Most importantly, have fun. :rock:

patrick

Thank you very much for the tip on NOT slipping clutch!! I would get sick if I burned this fresh baby up! I guess I should have researched this a bit cause if it wasn't for you I'd have probably tried it a couple times if I started spinning like mad.

Why is it that resistance is less w/ the tail gate up? I think this is not the first time I've heard this...but my mind is not comprehending it.:dontknow:

Rice Eater said:
:dontknow:

Why is it that resistance is less w/ the tail gate up? I think this is not the first time I've heard this...but my mind is not comprehending it.:dontknow:

Big Asp just spained that!!!!:D

The centerforce tech told me that, guys with actual race cars, that they suggest that they use a winch to get the car on the trailer....not to drive it up because you ultimatly slip it as you go onto it.

Think Dump dump dump!!!;) Let us know how it goes!!

patrick

mauiSRT/10 said:
Big Asp just spained that!!!!:D

The centerforce tech told me that, guys with actual race cars, that they suggest that they use a winch to get the car on the trailer....not to drive it up because you ultimatly slip it as you go onto it.

Think Dump dump dump!!!;) Let us know how it goes!!

patrick

Yeah ASP had posted before I was done typing my post. Ok so I understand the function of the wing and the tail gate together...but I am wingless! So does that change the theory since it is all open back there no gate no wing?

Rice Eater said:
Yeah ASP had posted before I was done typing my post. Ok so I understand the function of the wing and the tail gate together...but I am wingless! So does that change the theory since it is all open back there no gate no wing?[/QUOT

Ah your screwed now!!! Your gonna run a 14.8!!!!:2in1: J/K LOL

Heh why not run with and without the wing to see what is better. Leave tailgate up no matter what.

patrick

Thoeretically, it's more aerodynamic with the tailgate up, with or without a wing. It's either the tailgate or the cab that's going to create the vacuum. The tailgate being smaller will make less vacuum and, therefore, less drag. The difference may be minimal at the speeds we hit at the drag strip. It would be much more apparent at high speed. Remember, they made the record pass with the wing on. It's there for more than just looks. It'll be interesting to see your test results.

Get a tonneau and forget about it. Its minimal either way. Dr's and dump as much weight as possible will get you the fastest times....just putting your girl back together at the track is the fun part. for me, its already a small miracle with the rear brakes and all.

Blakewilder said:
Get a tonneau and forget about it. Its minimal either way. Dr's and dump as much weight as possible will get you the fastest times....just putting your girl back together at the track is the fun part. for me, its already a small miracle with the rear brakes and all.

I agree with the tonneau. Since I put my tonneau on, it more stable at freeway speeds. Crosswinds don't affect the truck as much.

As far as the drag strip is concerned. Wouldn't know

My opinion....as other said, if you need traction then the tailgate is going to help. But if you have traction, then the less weight the better. What makes vehicles fast? power - to - weight. Spring weight is a bad thing, and getting rid of as much as you can is good (once again, as long as you have traction)

At the speeds were hitting in the 1/8 - 1/4, I don't think drag is a big issue, I would say weight would be more a concern then the drag loss...hard to say though.

I'm working on cutting down as much weight as I can, and getting the traction planted to the ground. Its not going to be easy, but once its dialed in I'm home sailing...

Blakewilder said:

Doesn't the tonneau weigh a ton? I am thinking of one of those big hard color matched fiberglass jobbies.

Blake....what are you doing w/ your rear brakes??? I agree its fun to put back together...although I usually do it at home in the driveway!

Thanks everyone else for you input and opinions...it is time for some test and tune!!

My best runs have been without the tailgate and spare but with a soft cover on the bed.

RedSrt007 said:
My opinion....as other said, if you need traction then the tailgate is going to help. But if you have traction, then the less weight the better. What makes vehicles fast? power - to - weight. Spring weight is a bad thing, and getting rid of as much as you can is good (once again, as long as you have traction)

At the speeds were hitting in the 1/8 - 1/4, I don't think drag is a big issue, I would say weight would be more a concern then the drag loss...hard to say though.

I'm working on cutting down as much weight as I can, and getting the traction planted to the ground. Its not going to be easy, but once its dialed in I'm home sailing...

Blah blah blah....when are you going to stop talking and start racing....:D

If you have traction lose the gate, the spare, the cover

If you are slipping add the weight back......PERIOD.....

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back