Does this sound like a blown cat?

kickinassrt-10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear a strange hissing sound every now and then under acceleration. In neutral the noise is never there. In this video it is in gear with foot on the brake and applying the gas. Tell me what you think it is. Keep in mind I just towed over a 1000 miles and the noise was there after the fact of towing.

Also the truck does not drive any different and it increases with RPMs, but the strange thing is it doesn't do it all the time.

I am going to guess your torque converter is f'd. Could also be the pump but I would lean more towards the torque converter or possibly both. Does it shudder at all?

Just read your other post. Ditto what I said above. Your transmission guy is full of Sh^&!!! Find a new transmission guy.

Just another note. If the torque converter and or pump are the issue you will not have sufficient hydraulic pressure/flow/lubrication. Hence the burnt fluid. Your trans temp light never came on? If it didn't that's weird because it had to be getting hot.

Anyway, take it to someone reputable to diagnose the sound you are hearing on a lift. It's not your CAT making your trans fluid cook. Just my 02 cents.

When you find out what it was post back up. I'm curious as to what the issue is.

busted flex plate????

if your cats were clogged, you would have no power really.

Had trans shop and dodge verify not a cat. Sound more like loose flex plate/ convertor. Truck has date with shop Monday to get taken apart for definite answer.

Last edited:
Took to the shop today. Ended up being a cracked flex plate. Getting fixed tomorrow morning $800 part and labor. Apparently it has happened to others before, from what I have researched. At least no damage was done and thank God I'm not dumb enough to keep driving it that way. Even though I'm selling the truck I still care about it and care for the next owner to get a solid truck!

:rock::rock::rock:

good deal nothing major:D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back