Dog Issue

Discussion in 'Non-Offensive' started by ccfeyh, Aug 6, 2010.

1. ccfeyh

ccfeyh New Member Supporting Member

For all you dog experts out there, I have a question.

My dog is driving my wife up a wall. When I leave for work, everything is fine until 8:00 A.M. and I mean you can almost set your watch to him. At 8:00 A.M. he starts barking, no reason, he just starts barking and he'll do it for hours on end, non stop.

I work from home a few days a week, he never does this when I'm home. My wife will call me and I can hear him in the background barking non stop. One thing she has found is that after he starts, she can leave, go to the store, come back and most of the time, he doesn't start barking again, but that's a pain to leave for 20 minutes everytime he starts in.

We've tried those collars that spray water when they bark, tried the ones that shock the living bejesus outta them when they bark. He sits there twitching his ass off from the shocks and keeps on barking.

If one of the grandkids is here on a day when I'm working, he doesn't do it, just when she's here by herself. I'm looking for serious constructive suggestions here, anyone got a clue how to save my wife's sanity here?

2. joemags54

joemags54 New Member Supporting Member

Is he "closer" to you?.. Is there any activity,... chew toy etc. you can preoccupy him with?..... Maybe it would be better to have the Mrs. feed him after you leave, to help the dog bond with her......... Maybe he misses you. It might be a good idea to leave an old article of your clothing nearby. :dontknow: What kind of dog is he?

3. Scrambler1

Scrambler1 Full Access Member

Get a real shock collar used to train hunting dogs. Turn that bitch all the way up and tell her to firmly say "no bark" and if he continues zap the hell out of him. Something that worked for my dog was to take coke (or beer) can, put some change in it and tape it closed. If the dog didn't listen throw it at his feet, the noise would generally startle him enough to get his full attention.

4. ccfeyh

He's a Bluetick Hound, he pretty much close to both of us, but does respond to me command wise. As to the other suggestion to get a real shock collar used to train hunting dogs, that what I've got, this thing will knock you on your ass.

5. Black1

Black1 Full Access Member

WALK HIM...... better yet, both you and your wife walk him. It would be best if SHE walks him by herself, but you need to be there too in the beginning. Be sure your wife stays calm and doesn't get frustrated when first walking the dog. It should be an enjoyable time for her and the dog.

If the dog is hyperactive on walks, it will take time to walk "productively". You must be patient and not get frustrated. Never let the dog cross the thresh-hold of the front door first when going on a walk. You should ALWAYS be first out the door, or you will set a precedent that he is to lead YOU on a walk. This will take time for him to learn.... he needs to have his leash on, sitting and waiting for the door to open and you to go through the door BEFORE he does. Then, ideally, he should wait for some kind of signal for you to "allow" him to come outside. ...... It may sound silly, but the front door is where the walk starts (and it's where it can immediately go bad).

Blue Ticks can be difficult to walk, because they have such a strong hunting drive. I know, and you have to be strong and stick to it. .... Here is that part that can really take time.... if he starts to get away from you (off in some odd direction, on a scent, chasing a squirrel, etc) you need to STOP, pull him back to you, and have him sit at your side until he is calm (this could take a few minutes... but once he realizes you wont go on without him sitting there, he will calm down). Then continue the walk. ..... Trust me, you will look pretty funny stopping and starting all the way down the street. Your neighbors may laugh at you. :eek: :D But, after a few days of this, you will see a HUGE improvement in walking your dog. And your dog will be happier at home. If your wife walks the dog and can be in a place where they are walking side-by-side, where she is in complete control.... then you shouldn't have any problems. DO NOT GET FRUSTRATED.

It all starts with the walk. It's the only way for your wife to truly bond with your dog and for him to trust/respect her. Hope this helps! Keep us posted. :)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  6. ccfeyh

I walk him everyday and he is very calm when walking, knows the rules. when we come to a street, he automatically sits and waits for me to let him know it's ok to proceed. Tooks lots of time to break him of doing what comes natural to a bluetick and "hunt" all the while we were out, but he finally got it through his head that I am walking and he's with me.

But you could be right about the wife walking him, she has never taken him out

7. DevilDawg3097

DevilDawg3097 New Member Supporting Member

One thing to add to it your gonna need a pinch choker and when you correct him yank to the side, because when you pull backwards then it turns into a dominance challenge instead of correcting his behavior. Also if you have a yard let the dog out before you leave and after you leave your wife can let the dog in keeps him from seeing you leave. How old is the dog, sounds like he is still pretty young they grow out of it. I had an amstaff that would cry when I left for work when I lived in cali. The apartment manager had to go in the apt because it sounded like a kid screaming from getting beat:dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: One thing is for sure He loves ya:itsme: :elefant:

8. Black1

Yep, take her on the walk as well. Maybe that will help. :)

9. Black1

Sometimes pinch collars don't work. Especially on a dog that likes to get the shit shocked outta him. :eek: So, I would suggest getting the Illusion Collar from Cesar Millan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79MYqDAqjRM

http://www.cesarsway.com/shop/Illusion-Dog-Collar-Leash-System

It keeps the leash lead up high on the neck, and allows the coupler to come off the side of the collar. This helps in proper correction (like you mentioned, above). :)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  10. OCBob

OCBob VIPER POWERED

Sounds to me as if he is trying to establish a pecking order. He knows that you are the boss, but when you leave he is attempting to be next in line. I believe that Jake is right, start having the wife take him for walks and make sure he understands that she is the boss when you are gone.

I do have a little experience with this, I worked with a big dog training outfit many, many moons ago. And just from what you've said this seems to be the case. Seems like he would tend to howl if it was just about missing you, instead of barking. But then again every dog is different, this is just general advice.

Good luck with him, they are beautiful dogs.

11. ccfeyh

Thanks for all the suggestions. He's a great dog and really become a part of the family, wife love him to death, except when he starts in on her.

He's very well mannered and when walking on a lease he's very good, heels, sits immediately when I stop, but the wife has never walked with us.

So, later this afternoon, we're going for a walk but the wife is going to be doing the driving. He can be a handful when walking if you don't stay on him, so she's going to have to learn the rules and make him follow her lead.

This should be interesting

12. DevilDawg3097

DevilDawg3097 New Member Supporting Member

Not when the dog weighs 200lbs a shocker doesnt do it,:D and that little string aint stopping anything. Ceaser is another story:dontknow:

13. SRT10VENOMOUS

SRT10VENOMOUS 1800HP Club. And climbing Supporting Member

go get the cesar milan book that deals with barking .. he will fix ya right up,, or watch some of the cesar shows " Dog Whisperer" http://www.cesarsway.com/

that will fix ya right up..... .. But Maybe before you leave for work you need to run your dog get his energy down then leave..

14. FATJACK

FATJACK Full Access Member

I'll trade you a quiet cat for him.

15. Black1

I thought it was requisite that all Tennesseans had to have a hound dog??? I thought the penalty was DEATH.... or they take your pickup truck (worse than death) :eek:? :dontknow: :D :D :D

16. Ironhead

Ironhead Full Access Member

my old hound did that too when he was younger ,,,dont feed him let the wife feed him or give him a treat right after you leave ,,he will learn quick ;)

17. Django

Django New Member Supporting Member

I'd look up a trainer in your area that specializes in canine behavior....

They often have insights outside those of practical experience ....

Buena suerte..

D

18. scoobert

scoobert Has Left the Room - Banned from VTCOA!

age? breed? in-tact?

19. ccfeyh

The wife took him for his first walk with her last night, glad I was there, it was really comical. He took off like a rabbit pulling her everywhere.

I had to take over a couple times and as soon as I took his lead, he'd calm down. Wasn't completely successful, but by the end of the walk he was starting to listen to her a little. Won't happen overnight, but it'll get there.

20. USMC11

USMC11 Full Access Member

Have your wife walk or run and bond with el perro. Shock collars and spray ain't the way to go. Spray with a cat will work lol but dogs respond most to sincere love and kindness. awwwwwwwwwwww haha

Also when out walking, when you get to a nice stopping point or a park or something, let the dog do some exploring of its own, let the leash out a bit, he still knows who's boss. I see so many owners that think controlling their dog at every moment is the way to go. A little off topic but thought i'd bring it up.