Drag altitude question

Viper7777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys finally got drive up to MIR http://www.mirdrag.com/1/4th miile track about a hour and half from where i live. This is the frist time i ever been to 1/4th mile track. I live about 6 miles from a 8th mile track and have just allways grown up on the 8th mile.

My guestion is my friend ran his vette stock c5 with 80k miles, 6 speed, only mod is muffler. His best run was a 13.496

Now the track is Altitude 80' So im assuming in this case the corrected time would not be enough to even fiqure in his time ? Since the track is allmost sea level.

Why dont tracks fiqure in the altitude on your time slips ?

I didnt run my truck, kind poinless, as i allready know where i will be, stock truck best in 8th 9.1

Soon as i get cals, 16inch rims and slicks, i will run the 1/4

All i can say is for the guys in the 11.s wow amazing. Thats getting down the road.

Yes, 80' is so close to sea level that the adjustment would be minute, if anything. Our tracks around here are about the same elevation and we never even consider worrying about adjustments. I think you start bother with calculating after somewhere around 500 feet or more.

Greg

the altitude is only part of the equation. you could be running at 80' from sea level but the weather can make it 4000'....

jrgnd said:
the altitude is only part of the equation. you could be running at 80' from sea level but the weather can make it 4000'....

yeah but it would have to be 105 with 90% humidity and low pressure....:D

These guys are right. There is actual altitude. Then there is pressure altitude (PA) and density altitude (DA). DA is PA corrected for temp and humidity. So the hotter it is and the more humid it is the higher the DA is. Higher DA=less power available. Less power available=slower times. For aircrafts we add 100 feet for every 10% of humidity. I could go into more depth, but I think I covered the basics.

Smoke

80ft.?! Try living at 4,500 ft. Or, even at over 5,500 ft. like our brothers in Colorado. Our track correction factor in Utah is right around one second depending on the class. I just ran 14.55 Friday night in my Jeep on a day with lurking thunderstorms and 100+ air temps. I was very pleased and had several people amazed that it could run mid 14s up here in the mountains under those conditions.

To answer your question, most tracks don't factor in the correction on the time slip but you can go to NHRA.com and find a table of altitude correction factors for any NHRA sanctioned facility and calculate it.

Here is the link: http://nhra.com/tech_specs/altitude.html

Last edited:
what big asp said. I had density alt of 8200-8700 feet a few weeks ago at bandimere (5900 feet elevation).

Big Asp said:
80ft.?! Try living at 4,500 ft. Or, even at over 5,500 ft. like our brothers in Colorado. Our track correction factor in Utah is right around one second depending on the class. I just ran 14.55 Friday night in my Jeep on a day with lurking thunderstorms and 100+ air temps. I was very pleased and had several people amazed that it could run mid 14s up here in the mountains under those conditions.

To answer your question, most tracks don't factor in the correction on the time slip but you can go to NHRA.com and find a table of altitude correction factors for any NHRA sanctioned facility and calculate it.

Here is the link: http://nhra.com/tech_specs/altitude.html

Thanks Asp, wonder why they dont factor it in ?

Viper7777 said:
Ok guys finally got drive up to MIR http://www.mirdrag.com/1/4th miile track about a hour and half from where i live. This is the frist time i ever been to 1/4th mile track. I live about 6 miles from a 8th mile track and have just allways grown up on the 8th mile.

My guestion is my friend ran his vette stock c5 with 80k miles, 6 speed, only mod is muffler. His best run was a 13.496

Now the track is Altitude 80' So im assuming in this case the corrected time would not be enough to even fiqure in his time ? Since the track is allmost sea level.

Why dont tracks fiqure in the altitude on your time slips ?

I didnt run my truck, kind poinless, as i allready know where i will be, stock truck best in 8th 9.1

Soon as i get cals, 16inch rims and slicks, i will run the 1/4

All i can say is for the guys in the 11.s wow amazing. Thats getting down the road.
I don't know why you didn't run your truck. You should have bettered the vette, that's for sure. Best my 02 ran at Fontana was a 13.8 and the truck ran a 13.3 with just flash and catback.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back