Drag Radial or Slicks??

OnceBit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Purchased a pair of 17" wheels to use for drag racing...they had a 390/40 R17 on them.

Any input on tire brand, size, D.R. or slick input would be most appreciated!

Yup that's it! It's the tallest 17" out there and still too short IMO unless you have 4.10s
On QCs they are ok due to the auto tranny.

cool...thanks for the input! Even if they are too short still....they have still gotta be tons better than street tires! lol

cool...thanks for the input! Even if they are too short still....they have still gotta be tons better than street tires! lol

Yessir they are indeed! Just wax your truck up well so the rubber comes of the truck sides easier. Those stick out a good bit :burnout:

They aren't too short, infact they are just about perfect for 4.56's. Trainman ran into the 11's with them and had plenty of MPH.

Just got some 17" DRs off of another member on here. They clear the rotos fine and look awesome on the truck. I would say you don't need slicks until you are deeper into the power-adder relm. Your 4.56s with 17" Drs will be an awesome track time.

All options work well. But I gotta admit PAM is the fastest and easiest on and off I'll bet. :burnout:

They are NOT too short, I used that tire for years and went as fast as 118.15 on them in the 1/4 mile. Our factory rev limit is set at 6050 rpm. Mine is moved to 6200 rpm. Even so with the factory limit you should be able to go 116.44 mph with 4.56 gears. Trust me, I've done that over a hundred times, plus I've made over 40 runs in the 11's, most of them on the M&H 390-40-17 Drag Radial. My engine is still stock. You will have no problem. Trainman has spoken.:rock:

Haha...ok:D
I just don't like em then, lol. I love my slicks :burnout:
Never could get those things to hook and they even look too short cosmetically. Not enough sidewall IMO

Haha...ok:D
I just don't like em then, lol. I love my slicks :burnout:
Never could get those things to hook and they even look too short cosmetically. Not enough sidewall IMO

You ran pretty good on those 28" tall tires you tried in yourlast video, so I think 29.5" should work just fine. Unless you have some serious power I think the 32" full slick can cost you a little bit of time, just sayin'. Better 60' but will slow you down on the high end. But what do I know?:D

u will feel a big diference with just using lighter wheels in the rear

You ran pretty good on those 28" tall tires you tried in yourlast video, so I think 29.5" should work just fine. Unless you have some serious power I think the 32" full slick can cost you a little bit of time, just sayin'. Better 60' but will slow you down on the high end. But what do I know?:D

Yeah but I was bangin the rev limiter too :(
Trust me Jerry, I pay attention to your times and variables for sure.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back