Drag radials 101 please

SANTEEN

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will have my M&H 390 drag rdials and pacer wheels this week. Like usual, I need advice. Last time that I ran a car at the track with drag tires, it was about 10 years ago. It was a fox body mustang with full mickey thompson slicks and a manual trans. Now I'm running a big as truck with Drag Radials and an automatic trans. From what I've been reading, the popular air pressure is between 18-22 psi, is this correct? What is the proper way to do a burnout at the track with drag radials and an automtaic trans? And, what is the proper way to launch with an auto trans? I know the questions may be stupid, but I don't want to look stupid when I go out there. Thanks

SANTEEN said:
. . . .I don't want to look stupid . . . .

You best stay home then! :p :D :p :D :p

You're on the right track Steve. 18-22psi is optimum. Launch technique will depend on track prep and your DA. I've always had the best luck "flashing" the converter. As soon as the third yellow lights up, push the throttle about 1/2 to 3/4 way down, and once you can tell it's hooked, floor it! Whenever I tried stalling it up, the tires always broke loose as soon as I let off the brake . . .

if possible back into water box spin the tires just enough to clean them then pull forward out of the water then do your burnout ( drag radials don't need much ) to heat tires . tires will be good to go, take air pressure guage, air tank if possible. practice practice practice

Roz-SRT said:
You best stay home then! :p :D :p :D :p
Haha, I kind of set myself up for that one. :eek: Thanks for the advice. I was kind of thinking along those lines. We'll see. :burnout:

FATJACK said:
Easy burnout, the rest will come natural.
Thanks for that response Jack. Remember, I can be stupid sometimes. When you say easy burnout. Do you mean going through the water and power braking to get the tires spinning?

Yep, lightly hold your brakes on, get the tires spinning until you see light smoke from both sides ,mat it and release the brakes, run out about 20' blowing the tires off and you look like John Force in a truck.

FATJACK said:
Yep, lightly hold your brakes on, get the tires spinning until you see light smoke from both sides ,mat it and release the brakes, run out about 20' blowing the tires off and you look like John Force in a truck.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :burnout:

Couple of more questions. I don't need screws or and inner tube with Drag radials, do I? I was planning on driving from my house to the track with the DR's. Is this okay, or will it cause too much excess wear. the drive is only 10 - 15 miles each way. I guess I could change them at the track, since they let the participants use the Nascar/Indy garages to work on the cars. It's just seems easier to swap the wheels in my shop and drive to the track. Let me know your thoughts on this. Thanks

No screws, no tubes. Hiway driving you would probably want to run 30 to 35 psi and drop the pressure when you get to the track, just remember you have to raise it back up for the ride home. Any parts store or Cheapo equipment store will have a small 12volt air compressor that will do that fine.

I stop by my dealer to get the DRs installed free...10 mile drive to the track....the DRs are street legal and are no problem...30LBs to drive to the track and lower to 20LB at the track...refill to 30 for the drive back..

TNVIPER said:
I stop by my dealer to get the DRs installed free...10 mile drive to the track....the DRs are street legal and are no problem...30LBs to drive to the track and lower to 20LB at the track...refill to 30 for the drive back..
Ain't that what I just said Lawrence???:p :p

motivator1178491.jpg

I remember when I had my Mustang, the slicks would leave rubber all over the back quarter panels. Is there some sort of oily coating to put on the rear panels that would make the rubber easy to get off.

SANTEEN said:
I remember when I had my Mustang, the slicks would leave rubber all over the back quarter panels. Is there some sort of oily coating to put on the rear panels that would make the rubber easy to get off.

Wax the panels good...the rubber wipes right off on my truck.......or you can spay Pam on them and the tire wells..

might want to invest in a line lock with a auto tranny. smoke them up good everytime. FSTJACK said to try and do your burnouts the same everytime. mine worked best with 18 lbs. of air. cal tracs set at a turn and a half after they touched the springs.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back