Drivers side door skirt issue

Soapy00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So this past February my truck got hit by a tractor trailer in my back lot while parked. I had it repaired but the body shop couldn't get the drivers side door skirt to fit back on right. They couldn't get it to stick, any ideas who could reapply this skirt so it fits correctly? It's peeling off towards the front fender a little bit.

The key to getting them to stick is to remove all, I MEAN ALL, of the old adhesive tape and any residue left behind. It is very time consuming to do the prep work to remove it all. Then re-apply new 3M brand tape to the panel and reinstall.

If you have a day to burn on a weekend, which few of us do, you can do it yourself.

Only use 3M adhesive remover followed by top quality oil and grease remover painters use. Once both surfaces are spotlessly clean then and only then can you apply 3M brand double sided tape. Wash your hands before handling/applying the tape.

Here are some tips for attaching two sided tape.
1. Rub the entire length of the 3M tape (side you are sticking) with your fingernail before you pull off the backing. This helps activate the glue.
2. Use blue painters tape to hold whatever trim your attaching on to the vehicle after you stick it. Let it sit 24 hours or at least overnight. This allows time for the glue to dry.
3. The temperature of all parts involved should be between 65 and 85°
4. This is in addition to everything Andy said.

who is this Andy dude everyone is referring to???:dontknow::dontknow:

I'm glad someone asked....I know another Andy and trust me he ain't no better from the sounds of it.

:D

I been fighting with one of my pieces as well.
The first time I made sure the surfaces were cleaned very well with alcohol prep pads. I used 3M VHB (very high bond) that was 0.045 thick. I put it on in my garage and let it sit for 3 days. It still came loose. (I did take a 10 hour drive, but it still should have held) I think the tape was too thin and wasn't really touching the surface well.
I now have 3M VHB tape that is thicker 0.090 and have 3M 4298 Adhesion Promoter. I am going to give it another go this weekend.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back