driveshaft u-joint removal?

gblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aloha

My front driveshaft u-joint sounds like it's going...anything I need to know about removing it other than the obvious??

Mahalo from Paradise

Gregg

drain the fluid from the tranny first.probably leak out when you pull the yoke other than that be carefull removing the ujoints you cant beat on that aluminum like you can a steel one. i took mine out last week. just havent gotten around to replacing the ujoints yet.

If they are anything like the last automotive ones I did they are a bitch. There is a groove around the outside of the U-joint that they fill with melted plastic to lock them in place. The shaft is aluminum and will mark up easily if you get aggressive, and they are freakin tight. I didnt try a torch to heat the U joint to melt the plastic retainers but it may help.

I also dont think that you need to drain the transmission, just put a pail under the tail shaft just in case. Be careful with the bolts on the rear U-joint, they will round off easily.

yellowfever#154 said:
I also dont think that you need to drain the transmission, just put a pail under the tail shaft just in case. Be careful with the bolts on the rear U-joint, they will round off easily.
you are correct sir!!!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back