drove a diesel, disapointed.....

scoobert

Has Left the Room - Banned from VTCOA!
Reaction score
drove a 2004 cummins 6speed, 90k, 4wd crew.
wow, i was shocked:
A. how slow it was, 0-60 perhaps 18 seconds, took a few min to get to 100...
B. MPG. dealer said they only got 16mpg on a trip at 65mph... i got 14 on a 15 mile trip. thats way low
C. driveline shunt.... WOW felt very odd.....

is this normal? i was expecting something with a little perk? my old friends 7.3 was twice as fast with just a chip... i could never drive a diesel if this is how it drives....

opinions please...

get a newer diesel put in a chip youll be up in the 500hp range and 800fptq no problem... it wont feel slow...

most of the cummins 03 and up feel slow stock. trust me. get a mild programmer and it will really wake it up. If you are getting a stick then you get a good programmer and really bump of the power.

I have always used Diablo, Edge programmers. Put one of those and full tilt and it won't even feel like the same truck.

If you want a diesel to be what everyone raves about then you have to get an aftermarket exhaust, programmer, intercooler, intake horn and cold air intake and you wont be disappointed. My 06 I just sold had basically those mods and a few others and it would run high 13's consistently in the quarter mile.

Just so you know the 03-04 Early models have 50 less hp than the 04.5-07's. The 07.5 is when they started putting the 6.7l in them

***if you want to blow your trans then get a Smarty and turn it up all the way and you will have waken a beast

MPG wise should be high teens low 20's, my brother-in-laws gets 24 but its a 2WD stick, my moms gets 18-19 its a 4WD auto

scoobert said:
drove a 2004 cummins 6speed, 90k, 4wd crew.
wow, i was shocked:
A. how slow it was, 0-60 perhaps 18 seconds, took a few min to get to 100...
B. MPG. dealer said they only got 16mpg on a trip at 65mph... i got 14 on a 15 mile trip. thats way low
C. driveline shunt.... WOW felt very odd.....

is this normal? i was expecting something with a little perk? my old friends 7.3 was twice as fast with just a chip... i could never drive a diesel if this is how it drives....

opinions please...
Send a PM to Smokey, He can probably give you some good info.

Saw this at my local Hot Rod shop the other day. I think if he would trade me even it would be in my driveway.

They were doing some custom work on it for one of the Carolina Panther players.
P9120018_wm2090720x20680.jpg

P9120016_wm2090720x20680.jpg

SilvrSRT10 said:
Saw this at my local Hot Rod shop the other day. I think if he would trade me even it would be in my driveway.

They were doing some custom work on it for one of the Carolina Panther players.
From the looks of those rims it wasn't one of the white players. ;) :D

Dude, they are not fast stock at all. They are made for pulling, yes you can make that truck push 500 horses and 700 ft lbs easy with a few easy bolt ons. The newer the truck you look at the lower the gas mileage you are going to get. The 90's get the best. Just a fact chevy and ford get better mileage. But both have had different motors in the last 15 years. Ford and chevy owners will argue about it, but look it up. The cummins is the best engine period. A Greta place to look is TDR.com it's a forum just for the dodge and cummins. The have a buyers guide on there and cover the different models. Pros and cons of each. Parts that get replaced the most for each Great source of info I've had 4 ctd trucks, just bought a 11 3500 drw and love it.

You crack me up!! Well who wouldn't be dissapointed driving a diesel after driving one of these thingzz? :stupid: :stupid:

If you think the '04 and up are slow drive a late 90's and then get back in the 04,they have come along ways, I drive an 06 Laramie 4X4 also had a 98 and an 03 and they are getting better, I get around 22mpg average in and out of town with 100 gal fuel tank and a tool box full of tools. If your not happy with one don't buy it cause your not likely going to learn to like it.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back