"Dry" Nitrous

Roz

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is anyone running a dry nitrous setup? Seems "everyone" that running nitrous is running a wet setup.

I've got some lines and solenoids/jets from a dry kit I was going to install on my TA. All I need is a bottle, and some safety devices to create a dry kit, plus I want to be a sneaky (Pete) SOB and conceal the lines as much as possible. IE, tapping into the bottom side of the intake boot/bellow.

Thanks, someone school me.

(My LS1 TA had a MAF, and to run a dry setup, you'd have to the nozzle BEFORE the MAF so the MAF would add some fuel, that's probably why I am seeing wet setups on the trucks) :)

Running a dry nitrous set up limits the nozzle size that you would be using. If it were me I would start of with the 50 shot and work my way up. Of course I would do this on a dyno just to make sure your A/F doesn't go to lean. I pretty sure you should be able to run a 75 shot without any problems.

Nowwhat said:
If you like dry [email protected] will like the dry shot.....if you like things smooth and comfortable without risk of tearing your rod up....then get a complete wet kit...;)
yeah what he said.:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

LitemUp said:
Running a dry nitrous set up limits the nozzle size that you would be using. If it were me I would start of with the 50 shot and work my way up. Of course I would do this on a dyno just to make sure your A/F doesn't go to lean. I pretty sure you should be able to run a 75 shot without any problems.

I'm not sure what you mean dry nitrous limiting the nozzle size. . . ? But I definately agree with working my way up. I knew the trucks run rich from day one, so I didn't think a small shot would hurt anything.

Thanks for the input.

Nowwhat said:
If you like dry [email protected] will like the dry shot.....if you like things smooth and comfortable without risk of tearing your rod up....then get a complete wet kit...;)

That's a very vivid comparison! :D

I didn't want to go with an extreme shot though, however, I wanted a noticable difference. (I am also a broke bitch feinding for a mod with a partial kit) I know the trucks run on the rich side to begin with. I believe with all the safety precautions (fuel pressure safety switch, RPM window switch, WOT throttle switch) a dry setup is just as safe as a wet setup. BUT, I am far from an expert. Thus why I am here, asking this question.

My only concern, is fuel compensation. . . I'm guessing a VEC3 would add fuel via a nitrous tune . . . ? (Or get a complete wet kit ;))

Dry kits are for cars with maf, the computer adds extra fuel... adding a dry kit to a dodge car would be like supercharging and not adding a tune. You will go lean and burn the pistions and valves. Nx express has a kit to add the fuel synoid(?) for about 100$

Last edited:
wet kits are easier to install, since you don't have to add the additional fuel pressure regulator.

Roz-SRT said:
I'm not sure what you mean dry nitrous limiting the nozzle size. . . ? But I definately agree with working my way up. I knew the trucks run rich from day one, so I didn't think a small shot would hurt anything.

Thanks for the input.

What I mean is you probally won't be able to go any higher than a 50 or 75 shot without adding extra fuel, and the wet kits are easy to setup since you a connector right on your passenger side fuel rail. Rice is running a wet kit and is running 150 shot.

A small shot of nitrous w/o adding fuel (via a wet system or a vec 2-3) WILL HURT YOUR MOTOR!!!! Call and ask ANY performance shop, you CAN NOT SAFELYRUN A DRY SHOT OF NX ON A CAR THAT DOESN"T USE A MAF.

http://www.barrygrant.com/nitrous/default.aspx?page=115b

From Wikipedia:

Dry
In a dry nitrous system, extra fuel required is introduced through the fuel injectors, keeping the manifold dry of fuel. This property is what gives the dry system its name. Fuel flow can be increased either by increasing the pressure in the fuel injection system, or by modifying the vehicle's computer to increase the time the fuel injectors remain open during the engine cycle. This is typically done by spraying nitrous past the mass airflow sensor (MAF), which then sends a signal to the vehicle's computer telling it that it sees colder denser air, and that more fuel is needed. This is typically not an exact method of adding fuel. Once additional fuel has been introduced, it can burn with the extra oxygen provided by the nitrous, providing additional power.

Dry nitrous systems rely on a single type nozzle that only sprays nitrous through it, not nitrous and fuel. These nitrous nozzles generally spray in a 90 degree pattern.

Last edited:
you can, if you bump up the fuel pressure with a FMU. but that's more difficult than installing a wet kit.

BigRed460 said:
A small shot of nitrous w/o adding fuel (via a wet system or a vec 2-3) WILL HURT YOUR MOTOR!!!! Call and ask ANY performance shop, you CAN NOT SAFELYRUN A DRY SHOT OF NX ON A CAR THAT DOESN"T USE A MAF.

http://www.barrygrant.com/nitrous/default.aspx?page=115b

From Wikipedia:

Dry
In a dry nitrous system, extra fuel required is introduced through the fuel injectors, keeping the manifold dry of fuel. This property is what gives the dry system its name. Fuel flow can be increased either by increasing the pressure in the fuel injection system, or by modifying the vehicle's computer to increase the time the fuel injectors remain open during the engine cycle. This is typically done by spraying nitrous past the mass airflow sensor (MAF), which then sends a signal to the vehicle's computer telling it that it sees colder denser air, and that more fuel is needed. This is typically not an exact method of adding fuel. Once additional fuel has been introduced, it can burn with the extra oxygen provided by the nitrous, providing additional power.

Dry nitrous systems rely on a single type nozzle that only sprays nitrous through it, not nitrous and fuel. These nitrous nozzles generally spray in a 90 degree pattern.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back