"East Bound And Down; Loaded Up And Truckin'..."

Kevan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For some reason, that Jerry Reed song got stuck in my head. Seems like an appropriate title for this journey. I'll stick with it.

It was time for a roadtrip. Rachel and I had put the deposit down on the black 2005 Dodge Ram SRT-10 regular cab on Tuesday. The pictures that the dealer had emailed over were great. I had asked for "a pic of the rear suspension and one of the front suspension". What he sent over looked like a NASCAR build file- about 10 pics of the under-carriage from a bunch of different angles. Nice work! All this did was change the amount of drool coming out of my mouth from 2.1gpm to 4.7gpm. I spoke with the dealer and let them know that we would be in on Sat. to pick up the truck. "No problem. We're open 'til 5." in a pretty hefty Southern accent.

After doing a little research, we decided that it'd be cheaper to drive down to Gadsden, Alabama rather than fly. The flight would have been several hundred dollars each and only would have saved us about 2 hours (after all the connections). I did check into having the truck shipped up here. That would have been 10-14 days, and cost about $900. No thanks. In the end, with gas, food, rental car and hotel, it cost us about $400 to get the truck from AL to OH.

The other bonus is that Rachel hasn't really seen this section of the country. Aside from a quick trip to Nashville where she slept most of the way, we don't do a ton of travelling. She's a hardcore NY girl, and so she was really excited to see the rest of the country.

It's about 550 miles from Columbus to Gadsden, then another 70 or so miles to Birmingham, AL where we were having dinner with some friends (their parents live in Birmingham) and then staying the night in the hotel. I rented a Chevy Mailbu from the local National rent-a-car. Nice folks, painless rental, cool little car.

Here's a shot of the garden shed...I mean...garage as we're about to leave.
Vehicles: Rachel's Jaguar, my Durango, and our little white Malibu rental in the driveway.

Our planning has us leaving Columbus at about 3AM so we can be at the dealership around 12PM.

This pic turned out like crap, but I tried. It's a Durango on the highway with a cargo pack on it's roof. Only a few people will understand the humor and why I needed to take this pic. The lady driving it probably thought I was some kinda freakazoid taking pics of her SUV at 4AM.

My craptastic camera takes such awesome pics. Here's Cincinatti at night. Rachel was worried about dropping the camera as she took the pics holding it out the window. I was praying she would drop it.

For those geographically-challenged, Cincinatti is right on the border of Ohio and Kentucky. So, once you're through Cinci, you're in a whole new state. Wow- only took one bridge. Cool! 2 states down, 3 to go.

One of our fuel stops was in London, KY. There were a bunch of ceramic lawn ornaments at one store by the exit ramp called The Dog Patch Trading Post. Rachel did want to stop, but....if I did, how could I be the 'big, bad, evil man'? LOL We're comin' back on the same road, so....if she REALLY wants a 3' ceramic rabbit smoking a cigar, we'll stop and get one.

Ok, enough of that shit. Let's get rollin'. Heh heh.....limiter my ass. :)

Crusing through the hills of Kentucky early in the morning gets you some great scenery. Too bad my camera doesn't take real pictures.

Rachel was trying to take shots of the "Welcome To ......" signs along the way. Unfortunately, it takes my camera about 3 minutes to fire up and focus. So, I have a nice truck and a shitty camera. I guess that balances out.

This place, however, you couldn't miss. LOL You see tons of fireworks stands and huge warehouse-type stores all along the highway. They love their fireworks in the South.

Somewhere in TN, we came across this gigantor cross. It's about 80' tall and made of what looks like galvanized sheet metal. It's a nice cross and all, but........there are no buildings near it. No churches. No homes. No....nothing. It's just between a couple of billboards along the roadside. Kinda weird. We drove a little further and found another cross just like the first, but this time it was near a church/house of prayer/worship-type building. I'm about as religious as a tire iron, so....I'm not sure what's up with all of that. They sure do have nice big metal crosses though.

I thought that Rachel might do some of the driving, but...when my 2nd wind kicked in, I said 'screw it', and just wanted to finish the trip and get to the truck. It's some kinda sick motivation.

It's a quick cruise though TN, then nip the NW corner of Georgia, and pop right into Alabama.

We arrive in Gadsden, AL at the Nissan dealership there a little after 12PM. We met with the salesman and the dealership GM. Very nice guys. Rachel couldn't stop giggling at the accent. I learned something new: "yesir" is one word once you get south of Tennessee. It's proper in pretty much any positive context. Cool guys, and we get the paperwork taken care of and sign the checks.

WOOHOO!!!!
I own a big black truck!!!!
(Technically, it's "we". Rachel and I split everything.)

I tried to be gentlemanly about accepting the keys to the truck, but I think I yanked them out of the salesman's hands like it was a NYC subway mugging (we'll have to check the video for that).

Now the sucky part: dropping the rental car off at the airport. Rachel hasn't learned how to drive stick yet, so she takes the Malibu and I drive the truck (of course...heh heh). It's about an hour from Gadsden to the Birmingham Airport. It's not very large, so the rental car places are all together. We drop the car off, and as the guy is signing us out, he says, "You want us to fill the tank?". SHIT. I forgot to fill up the rental. For giggles, I asked him, "How much per gallon?". He replies with, "Six bucks.". I laugh heartily. "Rachel- just sit in the truck for 10 minutes. I'll be right back." I scream out of there in the Malibu and go fill it up for $2.73 gal. at the station just outside the airport. $12 for me to fill the tank, or I could have been billed about $50. What a frickin' scam.

On the way to the airport, the 'Check Engine' light came on in the truck. I immediately loaded my shorts thinking that I haven't even had the truck 2 hours and I already jacked the engine. Damn it. I call my buddy who works for the SRT Track Experience and ask him about it. The reply, "It's a general warning that something isn't correct. It can be anything from a failing fuel rail to a pinhole leak in the exhaust." Damn. He says, "Is it flashing?". I reply, "No." He says, "Good. You should be fine until you can find a dealer and get it checked out. It's too new of a truck to have any major problems." I relax a little, but then realize: I'M IN ALABAMA!!! I have no clue where the nearest 5-star dealer is!

My next call is to my friend who's driving over with his wife from Atlanta to meet us for dinner. "G.E., are you near a computer? Awesome. Find me the nearest 5-star dealer in Birmingham." He knows I've been lusting for this truck for 2+ years, so he understands why my voice sounds so stressed. He found one! It's pretty close too- just off I-65. I exit the highway....into a VERY gnarly part of town. Thankfully, it's daytime. LOL It seems that the dealer has since moved. Oops. "Ok, who's next on the list?" Since he's originally from the area, he directs me over to a Dodge dealer about 20 min. away off of I-459, called Benchmark Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep (obligatory link to their site because they're cool guys). Thankfully, their service department is open until 5PM. Whew!

The dealership is NICE. I mean, like really, really nice. As in, eat soup off the garage floor nice. It looks really new too. I pull up to the service area, and like you all have said, people stare. Even at the dealership! I don't remember the name of the guy that took my info and calmed me down, but he was super cool. The 'doctor' took a look at the truck, pulled out his big computer and plugged it in. 10 very stressful minutes later, he pulls the truck back around to the front of the service area. I ask, "How bad is it, doc?" "Nah...not bad at all. The last time the truck got fueled, the leash for the gas cap got caught on the rim and didn't allow the cap to fully seal. That caused a little leak, and that's why your Check Engine light came on." WHEW! Of course, now I felt like a complete tool. Fugit. I can live with being a dolt for a few minutes. I mean, hell, I've only owned the damn thing for 2 hours! I walk back in and sign the paperwork (THANK YOU DODGE FOR 3 YRS/36K!!!), and pay my $0.00. Man, that was close.

Finally, we can go to the hotel and I can get a couple of hours of sleep before we have dinner with our friends from Atlanta.
No such luck. MapQuest's directions aren't exactly stellar, so....it took me a while to find the Courtyard hotel. Painless check-in. Folks in the South are extremely friendly and very patient. The room was nice, and had a shower! LOL That's all I was looking for after the roadtrip and the stress test of the CheckEngine light event. I shower and crash out for a bit. Rachel wanted to iron something, so....she ironed. I got about 40 min. of sleep before my cell rang. They had arrived.

My buddy G.E. (short for George Edward) is from Birmingham, AL. His folks still live there, but he does IT work in Atlanta now. We've been online buddies for almost a decade, and both love cars, and trucks. He digs the SRT-10 as much as I do. We decided to do some dinner (cajun or BBQ) while we were down there. The girls can chat about girl stuff, and we can talk about HP, torque, big black trucks, his BMW convertible, mock a few online guys, etc. Typical guy stuff. LOL

Dinner was at a place that G.E.'s dad recommended called Full Moon BBQ. Apparently, it used to be a Dairy Queen, and is now a big BBQ restaurant. They have one of those huge black smokestacks coming off the back of the building, and you can smell it from 10 miles away. It smells GOOD! G.E. tried to pull the "you're in my hometown, so I'm buying dinner" stunt. It didn't work. I played the "You saved my ass with finding me a dealership open until 5PM on the Saturday of a holiday weekend. You're lucky I'm only buying you dinner" card. Heh heh.

I ordered a burger (just in case their BBQ was 'all smell-no taste') and an open-face sandwich. I needed not worry about the taste thing. Their BBQ was offically 'down home' and thus deemed true. Good stuff.

PART TWO coming soon!!!
(12,000 character limit per post...heh heh)

Last edited:
"Yesir", that thar was a plenty readin'. I'm just glad you got her dude. The check engine light would have reset itself after about 7 start ups following your fueling and re-applying the fuel pressure valve (that's gas cap for short). That happened to me once when I put the cap on the pump during a fueling. I drove off without it and of course the check engine light came on. I didn't realize why until a couple days later. By then the cap was gone from where I left it. So I made a trip to the nearest stealership that had a new one in stock. WHAMMO! After the 7 start ups, zee light.. she eez gone, kapoot, bye bye.. I'm sure you will enjoy it man. I can't wait for you to post up pictures of her (the truck not the co-owner).

Good story, Glad you got home safe, Kentucky does have some very nice scenery, and nice pics of the cross, but,,,

ttiwwp.gif
of your new ride!:rock: :D :rock: :D

I'll be patient...:)

Kevan, funny thing is, you passed right through London Kentucky. That is where the 04 that I just bought on ebay is. In fact, it was probably for sale when you drove through there unless this happened within the last few days. The auction ended a week and a half ago and I scored a major deal!!! Check out ebay item #4649770146

Greg

The aforementioned GE here. I don't own a SRT-10, I'll probably never own an SRT-10 (a vehicle that gets 9mpg just is NOT going to work for my commute). I can appreciate it from a "I'm a boy and anything with 500hp is cool" perspective, but it's wildly impractical for me to own.

Which is why I'm glad Kev bought one so that I can live vicariously through him. :)

A couple of things that he missed out on.

I went to Dodge.com to look for dealers in Birmingham, I knew there was one Downtown and I THOUGHT there was one near their hotel (I was wrong on the second score). For those of you who aren't from Birmingham it works like this. The city is laid out in a grid, Avenues run east/west, streets run north/south. The downtown dealership was at 14xx 5th Ave. This normally means "at 5th ave between 14th & 15th street." Only it meant between 13th & 14th street. Also when I tried to map directions from my parents house with the utility on dodge.com it told me it was up on FORTY-SECOND street, which was both illogical and wrong. What I'm saying here is don't get your directions from Dodge.com. Also, trying to give directions to someone in a city that you haven't lived in in a decade is not at all easy. I mean, I grew up there, I KNOW how to get places, but I don't think in terms of street names.

The second dealer I found I literally picked because it was pretty much impossible to get lost getting from there to the hotel. Fortunately they had a late opened service department.

Here's I'd like to point out that Kev spent the first two hours of ownership of his dream truck complaining about it. Here's a sample exchange:

"Man,the size of the wheels on this thing. I'm trying to turn it around and even with power steering...Man"

"So, what you're saying is, you finally bought your dream truck and all you're doing is complaining about it?"

"I'll shut up now. Shutting up, right now."

(In the background, uproarious laughter from Rachel)

When we pulled up next to the truck my wife said it was "pretty," which is probably not what Kev would want to hear. Also, sitting next to my 3-Series convert it's frigging massive. My wife was instantly drawn to the Pirelli's. When she was a little kid her dad considered Pirelli's on any car to be a mark of excellence, it's something she inherited.

The previous owner had, as stated previously, put some work into it. Rachel, my wife and I all think that Kev's attempts to unpimp ze auto might be a little overboard. The big chrome mirrors were a bit much (but, it's a thing, check out Audi's S/RS cars, chrome mirrors everywhere) the chrome handles were good and flowed with the rest of the chrome. The under gate LED brake lights/turn signals I think are cool and functional (realistically those are the only lights on the truck that are eye level with me in my car). Supposedly there's also a light in the hood scoop as well. The plastichrome on the taillights won't be missed.

All in all it's a really nice truck. Anyway, Rachel was ready to go when we got there, Kev was not. So while Kev went to shower the three of us played "start the truck." This brings up my second big "Ok, that I hate" about the truck. The starter button.

My daddy's CLK500 has a starter button. The key fob is an RF transmitter. You get in the car and, when you put the car into gear it starts.

My wife's friend's Avalon has a starter button. The key fob is an RF transmitter. You get in, you press the start button, it starts.

The whole getting in, putting the key in the ignition, turning the key all the way forward (you know, into the start position) then holding the start button for what feels like an unnaturally long amount of time until the engine starts? Yeah, I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaaay to lazy for that.

All in all it was cool to see Kev again and finally to meet Rachel in the flesh. I'll probably follow my wife back up to Cinci this fall when she goes to her office there so I'll see how much the truck gets driven when the weather gets bad.

Also, Kev's a wuss. 99 degrees with relatively low humidity is positively comfortable Southern weather.

Kev and Rachel also missed a picture of Big Bone Lick State Park in Kentucky.

I'm not making that up.

Last edited:
gedwardjones said:
The under gate LED brake lights/turn signals I think are cool and functional (realistically those are the only lights on the truck that are eye level with me in my car).
We may need a picture(s) of this as well!

All in all it's a really nice truck. Anyway, Rachel was ready to go when we got there, Kev was not. So while Kev went to shower the three of us played "start the truck." This brings up my second big "Ok, that I hate" about the truck. The starter button.

My daddy's CLK500 has a starter button. The key fob is an RF transmitter. You get in the car and, when you put the car into gear it starts.

My wife's friend's Avalon has a starter button. The key fob is an RF transmitter. You get in, you press the start button, it starts.

The whole getting in, putting the key in the ignition, turning the key all the way forward (you know, into the start position) then holding the start button for what feels like an unnaturally long amount of time until the engine starts? Yeah, I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaaay to lazy for that.

You,,, and all of us,,, are definitely different types of peeps, but Welcome anyway. Stick around.:beer:

PART TWO

The food was great, but while ordering, I noticed this side dish called "Chow Chow". Now, to a north-of-the-Mason-Dixon-line guy like myself, Chow Chow is a type of dog. So seeing it on a menu was a bit confusing and disconcerting. "They don't really...I mean...cook it and....serve it as a side dish...do they?"
Chow Chow, it turns out, is a combination of a bunch of finely chopped vegetables, mixed in a vinegar base. It's a lot like cole slaw, but instead of the creamy base, it's vinegar. That's cool. I like cole slaw. I'll give it a shot. It was pretty damn good.

After a good meal and some good friends, it was time to part ways. They needed to get back to ATL and tend to their dogs, and I needed some real sleep. I just realized it now, but I didn't take GE for a ride in the truck. I'm kinda bummed about that. Oh well, he and his wife come up here on occassion (her work), so we'll do it then. Hopefully I'll be a bit smoother with the shifting too. LOL

Thankfully, the hotel was really close by. We pull in, park, and I hit the sheets. I'm exhausted....and it's only 7PM.

I thought I could sleep.
I was wrong.
About 9PM I roll out of bed, and go back to the truck. I spend the next few hours going through the manual, setting up the stereo and UConnect, then trying to figure out the nav system. I also searched for the switch for the LEDs under the hood. No such luck. I found the wiring and saw it's meant to be hard-wired. I'll mess with that a bit later. It's midnight now, and still 99F outside. I'm quickly turning into a potato chip. I head back in about 1AM to the safety of the A/C in the hotel room. Ahhhh....much better. An hour of the Weather Channel, and I'm finally able to sleep.

Our wake-up call is at 5AM. Rachel got up about 30 min. before that, and let me sleep for an extra hour (She got about 10 hours of sleep...I'm going on 3). We pack up, do the quick check-out, and head out of town.
[CLICK FOR VIDEO]

Our first stop is a Shell station right before getting back on the highway. After filling up, I head into the quickie mart and pick up some road munchies and soda. A guy outside the place asks, "Is that the 4.7 litre Ram?" It was such a shock that he was so far off, I didnt' quite know what to say. I said, "Nope. 8.3 litres." and smiled as I walked into the store. Rachel collects shot glasses, so we got her a cool 'Heart of Dixie' Alabama one.

Back on the road. I'm trying to psych myself up for ANOTHER 9 hour trip, but it's not that hard once you hit the highway. You just *want* to keep driving. It's a great feeling.

A quick pic of the Grant's Mill Road exit we took the day before as part of the Check Engine Light Adventure.

The other thing that I love about this truck is the ability to get out of crappy situations quickly and easily. On-ramps seem to be a big stumbling block for drivers, and even those on the highway. Here's a tip folks: Pull one lane to your left if you see a vehicle on the on-ramp. I thought this was common knowledge (as well as common courtesy), but....I was WAY off. Sometimes trucks try to get over, but they can't because some clowniac isn't paying attention to traffic for some reason, or just doesn't give a shit. Of course buddy, you're the only one on the road today; don't mind these other people. So, as I'm trying to get over a lane and let a semi on, I've got a guy who's content with his cruise control set at 55. In a different vehicle, I'd have to brake/down shift and pull in behind him. In the SRT-10, I *touch* the gas and I'm (way) past him....and the semi has a full open lane to pull into. I don't want to break the law, but I also don't want to be crushed by a Peterbilt or get involved in some accident because clownie-clown-clown isn't paying attention (or doesn't give a shit). It's nice to be able to get out of a bad situation like that and have it all happen behind me, instead of in front of me.

I did get a nice little stretch of straight, fairly smooth road to open it up a little. [CLICK FOR VIDEO] I only hit about 108 before Rachel reminded me about things like cops, tickets, holiday traffic, etc....as the car in front of us kept getting closer and closer. :) She's an awesome chick, but has this thing about insane insurance rates. LOL 5th gear, about 2500 rpms. Nice and smooth. I'm sure it only gets better, but we'll find out another time, probably on a real track.

Rachel *finally* got a shot of one of the Welcome To...." signs. My camera still sucks.

Well, we don't want Atlanta, so....I guess we go left. :)

We had just stopped for gas in Lexington, KY and were getting back on the highway when, wouldn't ya know it, a nice red Lightning was headed in the same direction we were. And at about the same speed. LOL The guy in the L was pretty cool and we just hung out at about 75mph for a little while. He did the 'circle around', I guess to get a look at the SRT-10. The L obviously had mods: dropped a couple of inches, exhaust (you could hear it). I'm not sure about under-hood, but...he was a contender. [CLICK FOR VIDEO] A bit more side-by-side cruising, then he started to go. I noticed that the 3 lanes ahead were pretty clear for about 1/2 a mile or so, and no sign of any exits coming up. Why not. I'm down in 5th, clutch it, push some gas, and stay with him. It's not really a problem; 75 to 105 can be done quickly, or you can do it very gradually. He wasn't ahead, so I saw no reason to rip it. Plus, with my luck, there'd be a cop convention just ahead. We were fender-to-fender, then I had to let off due to traffic in front of me. It was fun.

I rolled down my window and gave him the thumbs up. They rolled down the pass. window and were all smiles. Holy crap- these kids couldn't have been old enough to vote! LOL I rolled down my window and said/yelled, "I was only in 5th. I had one more gear to go." Heh heh. I'm sure they wanted to go again (and again, and again), but...I have this thing about tickets. Plus, it's a holiday weekend, etc. I know- excuses, excuses. But, I'm not dead, and I'm not sitting in a Kentucky jail right now.
The guys headed for their exit, gave a thumbs-up and a wave, and we did the same thing. The name on the visor banner of the L was "W.O.T. Racing". I'm gonna look it up later and see what I can find.
Rachel loved the whole thing. She was giddy the next 200 miles. :)

The nav system is pretty slick, but you have to keep re-inserting the CD if you deviate from it's planned route. It's close to being perfect, but right now it's just 'cool'. I like how it warned you that certain turns and exits were coming up: "Keep left and stay on the I-75 North". That's not a typo; the nav said "the I-75". LOL
[CLICK FOR VIDEO]

All I wanted to see now was a sign with the mileage to Cincinatti. That's all I want. WooHoo! There it is! 159 miles to Cinci! I can make it! I know I can. Now that it's daylight, we can get a pic of Paul Brown Stadium where the Bengals play. At night it's pretty cool driving through downtown Cinci with the buildings and stadiums all lit up.

Ahhh...the final stretch of road before home....

And here we are. The same pic from the day before, but a *slightly different* vehicle in the driveway. :)

I couldn't wait to get the pseudo-chrome off the truck. Even though I'm lacking tons of sleep, I get right too it. Most of the stuff comes off pretty easily, but the door handles were a bietch to get off. I didn't break or bend any of it, or scratch the truck, so I'm calling it a successful de-mod. The lightbar that's hidden under the tailgate is probably going to stay (it's a nice added safety feature), but I'm not sure about the red LEDs under the hood shining through the hood scoop. Time will tell on that one.

So, here are some shots of the truck immediately after the de-pseudo-chroming, while the GooGone was working it's magic:
Rear Low
Another Rear
Back 3/4 shot
Front 3/4 shot

And, to complete our journey:
P1010081.JPG

I want to thank Rachel for managing our money and for everything else she does. She's frickin' awesome.
Also, props go out to my buddy GE and his wife for finding the dealer in my time of need, and cruising over from Atlanta to have dinner with us.

We had a great time "down south", and came back with an awesome big black truck.

Last edited:
That's a great thread indeed..... Makes me wanna go buy another one just for the fun of it...

Congratulations.............you even bought the right color.....the only color.

SD

;)
Hamrhead said:
You,,, and all of us,,, are definitely different types of peeps, but Welcome anyway. Stick around.:beer:

Heh, thanks. I don't think I'll be posting here too often. As I stated before, I have no intention of buying a Ram SRT-10. A Ram 1500 is really bigger than I need to start with (I really don't need bigger than Dakota/Raider/Tacoma size), adding the Viper engine and related lack of fuel economy put it into the category of "toy" and that's about $29K more than I'd feel confortable spending on a toy ;). Still, as my daddy would say, that there truck is shaaaaaaaarp.

gedwardjones said:
;)

Heh, thanks. I don't think I'll be posting here too often. As I stated before, I have no intention of buying a Ram SRT-10. A Ram 1500 is really bigger than I need to start with (I really don't need bigger than Dakota/Raider/Tacoma size), adding the Viper engine and related lack of fuel economy put it into the category of "toy" and that's about $29K more than I'd feel confortable spending on a toy ;). Still, as my daddy would say, that there truck is shaaaaaaaarp.

Owning an SRT-10 is not a requirement to be on the forum, hell we even let Ford owners stick around sometimes. We'd love to have you, you seem like you'd fit right in with the rest of us crazies...

Kevan said:
PART TWO

The food was great, but while ordering, I noticed this side dish called "Chow Chow". Now, to a north-of-the-Mason-Dixon-line guy like myself, Chow Chow is a type of dog. So seeing it on a menu was a bit confusing and disconcerting. "They don't really...I mean...cook it and....serve it as a side dish...do they?"
Chow Chow, it turns out, is a combination of a bunch of finely chopped vegetables, mixed in a vinegar base. It's a lot like cole slaw, but instead of the creamy base, it's vinegar. That's cool. I like cole slaw. I'll give it a shot. It was pretty damn good.

No lie, that is, in fact, how Chows got their name. They were bred as food. That being said, my Kevan was born in my wife's home town in PA and she was the only one of us who knew what Chow Chow was. She says she used to eat it at home.

Kevan said:
[After a good meal and some good friends, it was time to part ways. They needed to get back to ATL and tend to their dogs, and I needed some real sleep. I just realized it now, but I didn't take GE for a ride in the truck. I'm kinda bummed about that. Oh well, he and his wife come up here on occassion (her work), so we'll do it then. Hopefully I'll be a bit smoother with the shifting too. LOL

Thankfully, the hotel was really close by. We pull in, park, and I hit the sheets. I'm exhausted....and it's only 7PM.

I don't know if I ever told Kev this, but, I literally recommended his hotel because it was within 15 minutes of 3 bbq joints. After I heard that Rachel wanted ribs I decided that it would just be easier for everyone.

A couple of points Kev missed:

The way Rachel shed a tear every time someone mentioned "gas mileage" and "The new truck."

The "You should leave the chrome" conversation. It was three to one for leaving it and it still all got pulled off.

My utter surprise at how quiet the truck is. I mean, I expected wake the dead type noise. My nephew's Hemi 4x4 is way louder than that.

My wife has a tradition of new car ice cream. We didn't have new car ice cream.

My wife and I hoping that we didn't confuse Kev and Rachel when we left. We didn't go straight back to Atlanta, I was giving The Mrs. a quick tour of the area (I used to work across the street from the hotel) and I was trying to catch up with an old friend in the area before he closed his store.

Kev saying something nice about the car that he brutally ragged me for when I bought.

Oh yeah,this:
The other thing that I love about this truck is the ability to get out of crappy situations quickly and easily. On-ramps seem to be a big stumbling block for drivers, and even those on the highway. Here's a tip folks: Pull one lane to your left if you see a vehicle on the on-ramp. I thought this was common knowledge (as well as common courtesy), but....I was WAY off. Sometimes trucks try to get over, but they can't because some clowniac isn't paying attention to traffic for some reason, or just doesn't give a shit. Of course buddy, you're the only one on the road today; don't mind these other people. So, as I'm trying to get over a lane and let a semi on, I've got a guy who's content with his cruise control set at 55. In a different vehicle, I'd have to brake/down shift and pull in behind him. In the SRT-10, I *touch* the gas and I'm (way) past him....and the semi has a full open lane to pull into. I don't want to break the law, but I also don't want to be crushed by a Peterbilt or get involved in some accident because clownie-clown-clown isn't paying attention (or doesn't give a shit). It's nice to be able to get out of a bad situation like that and have it all happen behind me, instead of in front of me.

The law in Alabama is that people on the on-ramp get the right of way. It's easier for you to move or slow down than for them to get up to speed. YOU have to watch out for THEM.

We're so about courtesy down here, we write it into law ;)

Last edited:
Texas Yellow Fever said:
Owning an SRT-10 is not a requirement to be on the forum, hell we even let Ford owners stick around sometimes. We'd love to have you, you seem like you'd fit right in with the rest of us crazies...

Heh, there does seem to be something wrong about a guy who aspires to owning a Tacoma X-Runner posting to the Ram SRT-10 forum. That alone makes it tempting. :)

Gratz on the truck.

I saw those big croses aswell when i went to Talladega Speedway a month back. They are hugeeeee..

fun2xlr8 said:
Kevan, funny thing is, you passed right through London Kentucky. That is where the 04 that I just bought on ebay is. In fact, it was probably for sale when you drove through there unless this happened within the last few days. The auction ended a week and a half ago and I scored a major deal!!! Check out ebay item #4649770146

Greg

Hey greg,

I noticed it has a salvage rebuild title....have you test driven it or just bought without testing??

You did get a very good deal!! Heck, the motor / tranny / axles are worth the 20k!

gedwardjones said:
;)

Welcome to the forum...enjoy your stay!

gedwardjones said:
Heh, there does seem to be something wrong about a guy who aspires to owning a Tacoma X-Runner posting to the Ram SRT-10 forum. That alone makes it tempting. :)

A Tacoma? That might be a stretch, but what the hell, hang around we need someone to make fun of...:idea: :p ;) :D :dancing: :star:

Kevan said:
PART TWO

Our first stop is a Shell station right before getting back on the highway.
Better get used to that...;) :D

The other thing that I love about this truck is the ability to get out of crappy situations quickly and easily. On-ramps seem to be a big stumbling block for drivers, and even those on the highway. Here's a tip folks: Pull one lane to your left if you see a vehicle on the on-ramp. I thought this was common knowledge (as well as common courtesy), but....I was WAY off. Sometimes trucks try to get over, but they can't because some clowniac isn't paying attention to traffic for some reason, or just doesn't give a shit. Of course buddy, you're the only one on the road today; don't mind these other people. So, as I'm trying to get over a lane and let a semi on, I've got a guy who's content with his cruise control set at 55. In a different vehicle, I'd have to brake/down shift and pull in behind him. In the SRT-10, I *touch* the gas and I'm (way) past him....and the semi has a full open lane to pull into. I don't want to break the law, but I also don't want to be crushed by a Peterbilt or get involved in some accident because clownie-clown-clown isn't paying attention (or doesn't give a shit).
Thanks from the Truck Drivers :rock: - Not many 'drivers' think ahead, or think at all for that matter.:smokin:

I'm sure they wanted to go again (and again, and again), but...I have this thing about tickets. Plus, it's a holiday weekend, etc. I know- excuses, excuses. But, I'm not dead, and I'm not sitting in a Kentucky jail right now.

Kentucky? What makes you think you'd be sitting and not bent over, very uncomfortable?:p :eek:

We had a great time "down south", and came back with an awesome big black truck.

Nice Looking Truck! Great Story! Good Luck w/ it! Nice Choice in Color!:D :beer: :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back