eBAY Mystery Motor?

Pick up the phone or email Dan @ Viper Specialty for more info.

No mystery about it! Total coincidence I just clicked on this thread...

Yes, we built that engine. It is a fully built VS-X Race Engine originally built for Mike Gerdts [VisionSource] who raced in US-TTU [NARRA] series. Basically, it is an internally strengthened Road Race Engine with custom coated CP Pistons, custom Carrillo rods, coated tri-metal bearings, slight overbore to 4.060 [for cleanup only], new breather system, powdercoating package, and a few other items which may or may not still be on the engine. This engine is a near copy of Kevin Fergusons VS-X #001 which took first/points leader 2010, 2011, and 2012 in US-GTU. Kevin's engine made 630RWHP on the ACRX style exhaust. The only major difference between Kevin's and Mike's engines were the ported intake manifold on Kevin's. VS-X engines are roughly a $15-20,000 initial engine build [plus engine core], depending on what is damaged and what was done.

Pictures can be found here: VSP Gallery: Mike G.

The engine was built in March 2013, and was run for break-in, a few practice laps, and a partial track day. Mike lost control of the car, had an accident, and there was a small fire on the Driver side of the engine due to brake fluid pouring onto the exhaust header. So far as I can tell, it looks like the driver plug wires and coils were damaged, possible powdercoating damage on that side [though the whole engine powdercoat looks a little dull... might wash off, or might be from a cleaner they tried to use]. Other than that, the oil lines and cooler are missing, and the wiring harness is gone.

FYI, I would STRONGLY advise that this engine come back to us for an inspection before use, minor possible damages caused by the accident could be a very cheap fix turned into a major disaster if left alone- especially things like oil system contamination. We can also service thereafter if needed. All of the parts used in this engine are our custom pieces.

Lastly, I am under the impression that this will be used in some type of conversion for a Ram? If so, you should understand that the Gen-4 Viper engines specifically are very complex, and require very sophisticated engine management systems to run them. The OE Gen-4 ECU is not very happy outside of the Gen-4 Viper application, and is extremely difficult if not impossible in most cases to run outside of a Viper chassis, there are too many connections over the Bus to other modules in the car that would be different or non-existent in the Ram. You will need to run a full standalone system, of which there are only a few types out there that can run that particular engine. You would need a similar setup to what we did here:

VSP Gallery: Paul K.
or
VSP Gallery: Dan L.

-Dan

Last edited:
No mystery about it! Total coincidence I just clicked on this thread...

Yes, we built that engine. It is a fully built VS-X Race Engine originally built for Mike Gerdts [VisionSource] who raced in US-TTU [NARRA] series. Basically, it is an internally strengthened Road Race Engine with custom coated CP Pistons, custom Carrillo rods, coated tri-metal bearings, slight overbore to 4.060 [for cleanup only], new breather system, powdercoating package, and a few other items which may or may not still be on the engine. This engine is a near copy of Kevin Fergusons VS-X #001 which took first/points leader 2010, 2011, and 2012 in US-GTU. Kevin's engine made 630RWHP on the ACRX style exhaust. The only major difference between Kevin's and Mike's engines were the ported intake manifold on Kevin's. VS-X engines are roughly a $15-20,000 initial engine build [plus engine core], depending on what is damaged and what was done.

Pictures can be found here: VSP Gallery: Mike G.

The engine was built in March 2013, and was run for break-in, a few practice laps, and a partial track day. Mike lost control of the car, had an accident, and there was a small fire on the Driver side of the engine due to brake fluid pouring onto the exhaust header. So far as I can tell, it looks like the driver plug wires and coils were damaged, possible powdercoating damage on that side [though the whole engine powdercoat looks a little dull... might wash off, or might be from a cleaner they tried to use]. Other than that, the oil lines and cooler are missing, and the wiring harness is gone.

FYI, I would STRONGLY advise that this engine come back to us for an inspection before use, minor possible damages caused by the accident could be a very cheap fix turned into a major disaster if left alone- especially things like oil system contamination. We can also service thereafter if needed. All of the parts used in this engine are our custom pieces.

Lastly, I am under the impression that this will be used in some type of conversion for a Ram? If so, you should understand that the Gen-4 Viper engines specifically are very complex, and require very sophisticated engine management systems to run them. The OE Gen-4 ECU is not very happy outside of the Gen-4 Viper application, and is extremely difficult if not impossible in most cases to run outside of a Viper chassis, there are too many connections over the Bus to other modules in the car that would be different or non-existent in the Ram. You will need to run a full standalone system, of which there are only a few types out there that can run that particular engine. You would need a similar setup to what we did here:

VSP Gallery: Paul K.
or
VSP Gallery: Dan L.

-Dan

Thanks for posting. I am an eBAY troll, I tend to post neat finds and good deals on parts.

I know Kevin Ferguson is more than happy with his engines built by Dan. You can't go wrong with ones of Dan's engine builds!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back