EBC Green - still squeaking!

10banger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someplace warm....I'm talking about a little place
Alright fellas so here’s my dilemma,

I recently purchased front and rear EBC green’s from Stinker for my truck. I re-painted them red with high-temp brake paint so that the green wouldn’t be visible through the caliper, simply because I’m anal about my truck. I taped off the coating on the EBC’s because I know you have to “bed†them in and I figured if paint got on the coating then it would affect the brake pad’s performance.

The reason I purchased the EBC green’s was because I wanted less brake dust and the brake squeal was causing me to have suicidal thoughts… I did not replace the rotors. I took them to my local shop to have them install them. My original thought was to get the rotors turned since the calipers would already be off. There – the shop told me that my rotors had grooves that were too deep to turn on the brake lathe. They asked me if I still wanted them installed and I proceeded to get them installed.

Now, my brakes are squeaking worse than before and I’m having my suicidal thoughts again. Here’s my question – would the rotors be causing this and if so, what is a reasonably priced rotor to go with? I’m looking on eBay now for rotors but I want to make certain that this is what is causing the squeaking.

I “bed’d†them in per the instructions given with the brake pads. If I do go with new rotors, will I be able to re-use the brake pads without affecting the brakes performance?

I’m still getting the same amount of brake dust but I think this is due to the “bedding in†part of the installation. Will the squeaking go away after a little while or is this abnormal?

I’m sorry to bombarding ya’ll with a great amount of questions, but I want to make sure I root cause this so that I can eliminate the squeak. Thanks in advance!

Most of the time if you go out and do three for four hard emergency stops from say 40mph , they bed in alot easier, but it could be possible your rotors are "glazed" if so you may need to pull the calipers and hit them with some scotch brite and knock the glaze off a little bit, but most of the time it goes away on its on,

My Greens squeaked for about two weeks after they were installed. Haven't made a peep since.

Mine stopped making noise after a few hard stops, like Stinker said. But maybe the red paint, or rotors had something to do with it?:dontknow: I cant see any of the Green coloring on mine once they were installed.

SANTEEN said:
My Greens squeaked for about two weeks after they were installed. Haven't made a peep since.
Alright, I'm going to stop freaking out for now.... I'll just deal with the squeak for a little while longer.

When you installed yours, did you notice the squeak was louder? Also, did you notice a difference in the brake dust. I'm not really seeing a difference in either as of right now.

10banger said:
Alright, I'm going to stop freaking out for now.... I'll just deal with the squeak for a little while longer.

When you installed yours, did you notice the squeak was louder? Also, did you notice a difference in the brake dust. I'm not really seeing a difference in either as of right now.
Big difference in the brake dust.

Yeah, my brake dust went away right after swapping the stockers for the Greens. I also did not "cut" or replace the rotors...just put in the pads.

That squeek squweeel cleaning the wheels every 2 days or what ever you want to call it will drive you nuts----I changed mine out (just the pads) and it was gone... of course I did not use the ebc's either....Stinker do you carry or stock the Zeckhausen's????

I bought the red's almost a year ago and they still squeak. Not as bad as stock but still bad. I just got used to it.

Prof said:
Here is the best way to bed your brakes. Follow the instructions exactly...it will pay huge dividends.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm
Lord Jesus! I think this is what I was looking for. I will be doing this today when I get off work. I will report my findings.... the EBC instructions only tell you to do a 40 mph emergency stop and it doesn't fine-tune the details as well. For example, not to come to a complete stop.... Your help is extremely appreciated. Thanks a lot man!:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

The instructions are specific...and doing it is tough...I had a highway patrol car really interested in what I was doing...but he finally just drove away shaking his head...guess he thought I was too crazy to deal with...

Prof said:
The instructions are specific...and doing it is tough...I had a highway patrol car really interested in what I was doing...but he finally just drove away shaking his head...guess he thought I was too crazy to deal with...
He was probably like, what the hell is this guy doing?? He must like eating dashboard!

10banger said:
He was probably like, what the hell is this guy doing?? He must like eating dashboard!

I think that he must have just thought..."what an asshole...and I am not in the mood to deal with someone like that today!"

Prof said:
I think that he must have just thought..."what an asshole...and I am not in the mood to deal with someone like that today!"
Man, I can't tell you how much I appreciate those instructions! You are on my "I owe beer list".... The squeak has went away significantly since doing the "bed-in" procedure that you sent me.. Thanks a ton man!!! :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back