Electric water pump

pokeytemplar
it would be best to mount the thermo switch in the head, thats where most of your heat is created and since you would have zero water flow that water would get hot quick, if you have a computer controllered fan(should unless changed) there is really no need for two systems to control one temp. only advantage would be faster warm up. but if your out to just do something different i think stewart makes a controller and harness just for there pumps.:)

yellowfever#154 said:
I sent a message to CSR to see if they would ever consider building one for a Gen 3. I will post up hen they reply.

I got a response, no plans to build a pump at this time. Imagine that, the usual response.

I had a Davies Craig electric pump on my 440 in my 34 plymouth.Made around 500hp.Had no room for the standard pump.Made a plate to block it off.
Electric pump goes in the bottom radiator hose.It is a positive displacement pump so you have to remove the thermostat.
They do an electronic controller that supplies 4 volts to the pump when the motor is cold and speeds it up as the motor warms.
I think you can also run it as an auxillary with the standard pump in place.From memory you have to drill a hole in the thermostat so that it can bypass a small amount of coolant when closed.
Worked very well for me.Never had any issues and covered around 8000 miles a year going to rod runs etc.
They are made in Australia. www.daviescraig.com.au

dnz28 said:
pokeytemplar
it would be best to mount the thermo switch in the head, thats where most of your heat is created and since you would have zero water flow that water would get hot quick, if you have a computer controllered fan(should unless changed) there is really no need for two systems to control one temp. only advantage would be faster warm up. but if your out to just do something different i think stewart makes a controller and harness just for there pumps.:)

Since it will be a daily driver faster warm up is important. I would say both systems would be advantageous. Using both would allow for more precise control of the water temperature and extend the life of both parts. The fans are really only beneficial when you are moving at less than 40MPH anyway.

yellowfever#154 said:
This thing is cool, i wonder if it would support the electric fans as well?

Would depend on the fans. Craigs only supports 12 amps and varies voltage to the pump. SPAL has a PWM controller that supports two fans. One operates at 50%(PWM not voltage) at initial temp and ramps up speed until max temp or A/C is on then both fans are turned on.

Using the SPAL controller for the fans the Moroso Thermostatic Water Pump switch could do just the water pump. Then it would cycle only as needed. Hmmmm this may be the solution I need.

Last edited:
pokeytemplar said:
Would depend on the fans. Craigs only supports 12 amps and varies voltage to the pump. SPAL has a PWM controller that supports two fans. One operates at 50%(PWM not voltage) at initial temp and ramps up speed until max temp or A/C is on then both fans are turned on.

Using the SPAL controller for the fans the Moroso Thermostatic Water Pump switch could do just the water pump. Then it would cycle only as needed. Hmmmm this may be the solution I need.

I like the Moroso one better, I dont like the thermostats that you have to install into the hose and have a nasty tube running out. The Moroso one would be much cleaner of a install.

I think your onto something, give it a try and let us know if it works out.

I will, but please be patient. I am a long way off from finishing my build. Custom sleeves, rods, pistons, etc........ Water pump/Electric fan solutions are towards the bottom of that list. Hopefully work will pick up and I can get some overtime to pay for all of this!

Sponsorship anyone?

pokeytemplar said:
I will, but please be patient. I am a long way off from finishing my build. Custom sleeves, rods, pistons, etc........ Water pump/Electric fan solutions are towards the bottom of that list. Hopefully work will pick up and I can get some overtime to pay for all of this!

Sponsorship anyone?

I hear ya Im in the same boat. Except the sleeves part.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back