Electrical Problem

jimmyg79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Driving home last night and the damn truck just died. It was like I just turned the key off. I coasted into the closest parking lot and popped the hood, I figured it was a wireing problem being that just before the truck died the check engine light went on and it started running real rich. This was a problem I had back in october, I thought I had a bad injector but it ended up being a bad connection in the wiring harness that goes to the ecm.

So I wiggle around some wires and try to start it again, no dice. So I pop open the fuse box and see that the 30A engine relay fuse was blown, so I swapped that out with another 30A fuse and fired it up. After running for about 15 seconds the fuse blew again so I'm going to have to get this thing towed back to my place so I can see what the hell is going on with it.

I think that the problem is going to be found in the old VEC2 wiring harness. I used to run the VEC2 but took it out. So I might just take the wire harness out and solder the wires back together to see if that fixes it. What a pain in the ass! My patience is running thin with this truck.:mad:

If anyone else has had this problem, any advice would be appreciated.

Not familiar with the VEC2 but if you do not need it get it out of there. I am sure you have figured this out already but you have a dead short somewhere. Something moved around somewhere you just have to find it. 30A fuse is a good size to be popping, not good.

Hope you find your problem.

Soldering splices is the only way to ensure they will not separate, ground out, short, etc. Compressin type ferrules work OK but I prefer soldered connections. Also, Chrysler sells different type of heat shrink sleeves with water sealant to protect the splice from corrosion. And yes, ditch the old wiiring system if it is not being used -- more chances for failures. Good luck.

Jimmy I don't think it is the trucks fault. It's that damn Vec II, and anything that was a part of it. IMO you need to get rid of anything, that had anything to do with that Vec II.

Bill.

Begood said:
Jimmy I don't think it is the trucks fault. It's that damn Vec II, and anything that was a part of it. IMO you need to get rid of anything, that had anything to do with that Vec II.

Bill.

:argh:BILL HAS SPOKEN!!!!

use a test light and place it in the location of the fuse. If the short is present the test light will turn on. While the light is on start inspecting the harness where the vec was initially spliced in. while the your inspecting if your able to get the light to flicker you sure will be close to finding the short in the circuit.

But in order to blow a 30 amp fuse, man something real big wire must be shorting out, 30amps would quickly make a thin guage 18-22 guage wire go up in smoke

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back