End of the Green Berets

Tim, we both know that there has been a long history of scoffing at the role of the Army Special Forces. Even during my tenure (about 300 years ago), there was always a problem in the regular forces with "an elite" branch. I was once told by a "straight leg" armor 06 that "the only application for SF was during times of conflict...that the rest of the time we needed to be put in a cage and fed meat and an occasional woman."

You and I know even at that point the original intent of the SF detachment was development of indigenous fighting forces. The combat role came later and was a prostitution of the mission in the opinion of many of us older SF types. An "A" team was never conceived as a fighting force...the initial idea was to flee at the first signs of conflict, hopefully down a narrow jungle path, dropping CS grenades to keep anyone from following. The tactics changed and we found ourselves in fixed outposts patrolling the Ho Chi Minh trail, in places that international law said we were not susposed to be.

I doubt that there is a concerted effort to kill SF, but the special ops missions have been a distraction from the fundamental mission of SF. I personally would like SF to return to its roots, and leave special ops to others. But I am a teacher, and probably the only one that feels that way. "Old soldiers never die, they just fade away...", Douglas MacArthur, 1951.

I hear you Roy. And I know it will warm your heart to know that SF is still heavily involved in the UW arena, especially in Afganistan. The public just usually doesn't get to hear much about it (damn liberal media:D ).

Here's a story about a team that took it's newly trained Afgan fighters on a mission and ran into a huge Taliban operation.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/04/18/60minutes/main4026734.shtml

ViperTruck2933 said:
I hear you Roy. And I know it will warm your heart to know that SF is still heavily involved in the UW arena, especially in Afganistan. The public just usually doesn't get to hear much about it (damn liberal media:D ).

Here's a story about a team that took it's newly trained Afgan fighters on a mission and ran into a huge Taliban operation.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/04/18/60minutes/main4026734.shtml

Thanks Tim.

the UW mission lives, and I have a feeling that the Internal Development side of the task is likewise still alive and thriving.

Prof said:
"the only application for SF was during times of conflict...that the rest of the time we needed to be put in a cage and fed meat and an occasional woman."

....Now, I never had the significant honor of serving in SF, but if I could use this very quote as incentive... :eating:SIGN ME UP!

Venom Power said:
....Now, I never had the significant honor of serving in SF, but if I could use this very quote as incentive... :eating:SIGN ME UP!

Come to think about it...that would not be a bad life, maybe I will re-up!

Will they take blue haired wobblies?

Prof said:
Come to think about it...that would not be a bad life, maybe I will re-up!

Will they take blue haired wobblies?

Caged or not I'd be in right behind you Prof, watching your back. As long they bring on the meat and women.

Wait a minute...I am the officer...it is my role to circle at 1500 feet in the command and control chopper...with my boss at 3000 feet above me.

While in the cage...I will be happy to watch you...at my age, I have to preserve my dignity and be sure that I don't undertake tasks that I might not be able to finish.

I never Served in the military but I support our Special Forces more then anything. I have a Buddy that is now is a Retired USMC Scout/Sniper, 2 Friends that are Navy Seals.

WizzySRT10 said:
I never Served in the military but I support our Special Forces more then anything. I have a Buddy that is now is a Retired USMC Scout/Sniper, 2 Friends that are Navy Seals.
Your support is appreciated. :rock:

But just FYI, Special Forces is a US Army unit. Navy Seals are in Special Operations Command and are considered Special Ops. Lots of people say Special Forces when describing Special Ops units, but don't realize that "Special Forces" is an actual unit that belongs only to the Army and has only US Army soldiers as members(and is the only unit that wears the coveted Green Beret). ;)

Prof said:
Wait a minute...I am the officer...it is my role to circle at 1500 feet in the command and control chopper...with my boss at 3000 feet above me.

While in the cage...I will be happy to watch you...at my age, I have to preserve my dignity and be sure that I don't undertake tasks that I might not be able to finish.

Ahh so then we are going to take the "shit rolls downhill" approach. Fair enough, just let me know when it's chow time.:D

A son of mine just reupped in Afghanistan and his Marine MOS is changing to "Intel". I do not know what is involved except there are two types? One hears from others what is going on and passes that info on to those that need to know, like pilots prior to flights. The other type goes out, kicks in doors and finds out who is naughty and who is nice. This type gets a 6 month craziness course in Norfolk with a LOT of hand-to-hand. My son says he is coming back early, in late September, for a Norfolk class. Meanwhile, he spends mornings doing MCMAP (Marine Corps Martial Arts Programs) which uses a mixture of martial arts. He just tested out with a 96% score for his grey belt (he also qualified as a Marine Rifle Expert) and says if he keeps up scores like that he could become an instructor. His reup bonus is taxfree because he is out of country and it is $52,500 and I do not know how or when he gets that. I was in the Marine Corps during Vietnam and lost a LOT of friends. I think you can see what I think of the scumbags here that question my gender and add other truly childish bejabbering. At least this forum has some mature types that lend support and call the fools what they are. Meanwhile, this thread is about army. After a great many experiences, I cannot capitalize that four-lettered word. The worst people I know, including alcoholic coworkers/friends and a relative, have been former army, army reservists or nat'l guardsmen. Take issue with that if you may but no one needed to tell me what branch Jessica Lynch was in when I heard she did not know left from right or how to use her weapon while her comrades were being killed. Congress has approved the army letting in way too many "Category IVs" and they are screwing up everything. RETARDS!!! I will summarize by adding that I was drafted by the army but when my draft board found out my parents were married, I was sent to the Marines. I also have a Navy MH-53 pilot daughter that gets out in a month after over 9 years of service including two tours in the Persian Gulf, 6 weeks of tsunami relief flying in Indonesia and relief flying in Katrina/New Orleans. She touched down in NO at noon on Monday before the storm was over and yet the media says the military did not arrive until Thursday. She was never shot at in the Persian Gulf but WAS shot at in NO. So anyway, thnx to all that have served their country and it is a damned shame the elite of this country keep their kids from serving. We have not had a prez with a military kid since Eisenhower.

Last edited:
There are dirtbags in all services Danko. Your stupid comments are proof that the usmc had it's share too.;)

Maybe your son can use his tax free enlistment bonus and buy your truck. Then you can go away and leave us alone.

In less than 50 posts this man has really made a reputation for himself...

Danko, do you think before you engage your keyboard or is that beyond your comprehension? Re-read your post...then consider giving up...you simply don't have the ability to write without attacking someone or something.

Danko said:
The worst people I know, including alcoholic coworkers/friends and a relative, have been former army, army reservists or nat'l guardsmen.

21 years in the Army and I don't drink. Guess I'm doing something wrong in the world according to danko.

Last edited:
If I were to enlist it would be the in the Marines but that doesn't mean I don't like the Army. I lost a grandpa in Korea that served in the Army. I have lots of friends and family in all forms of the US Military.

Danko I think maybe you need to use spell check and also get that cranial rectnal inversion fixed.

Prof said:
In less than 50 posts this man has really made a reputation for himself...

Danko, do you think before you engage your keyboard or is that beyond your comprehension? Re-read your post...then consider giving up...you simply don't have the ability to write without attacking someone or something.

It's a tactic simply to become popular and known quickly. As I've mentioned elsewhere his antics are just making him as popular as a fart in a wetsuit. I'm almost reaching 3100 posts and still many don't know me or can't decipher if I'm actually crazy, insane or just faking it.. Maybe I should step up the pace and start engaging in the same inconsiderate mindless babbling while attacking eveyone's existances and beliefs. Nah, but then I would have to change my name to Danko2 and start allllll over again.

Last edited:
The worst people I know, including alcoholic coworkers/friends and a relative, have been former army, army reservists or nat'l guardsmen.

Go Guard! :rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back