Engine Compartment Detailing Suggestions?

precisiondyeing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 24k on my truck. There are areas near the steering linkage and headers which have accumulated some road dirt. Looks like it might be hard to reach and clean off. This may be an easy question, but does anyone have any suggestions for making the engine compartment look as new as possible without pulling the engine? I thought about high pressure steam but don't know how well that would work, or where to find it. Your input is appreciated!

Michael

That's a good question. Mine looks like crap and I'd also like how to do it without using water.

their are plenty of spray on rinse offs out there that work well, the best is a hot water pressure washer and a wide angle low pressure nozzle, I have one at work, it will remove excess dirt and almost all oil, stay a way from wires and use the spray of stuff on the top, I use the hot washer a few time a year on the undercarriage and the inside of the body panels as well.

U can try going to an equipment rental yard. United Rentals is national. They usually have at least one steam pressure washer. They clean off their equipment.

Get a couple of buddies together. Rent on a Friday or Saturday for a 1 day rental. Return Monday. That way you and your friends get the whole weekend with it for only 1 days rental.

UNLESS

It has an hour meeter on it.

Just a thought.

SHU

Last edited:
Is it safe to clean with water? I know they got a vent on the hood water can enter but it's not getting a full on bath. I know some engines are tempramental with excessive water....

kickinassrt-10 said:
Is it safe to clean with water? I know they got a vent on the hood water can enter but it's not getting a full on bath. I know some engines are tempramental with excessive water....
I sprayed mine with Simple Green, Let set for a few minutes, Then hosed it off. Not full blast, Just a gentle stream.:D No problems.

Cool mine is looking nasty with oil residue on the valve cover and also where the cover meets the metal area. Is that normal by the way?

kickinassrt-10 said:
Cool mine is looking nasty with oil residue on the valve cover and also where the cover meets the metal area. Is that normal by the way?
Check your oil cap O-Ring, It may be leaking.

Alright. I'm gonna take a pic in the light tomorrow and post. It seems like more than normal to me but want input on it. Thanks!!!!

RB04 said:
their are plenty of spray on rinse offs out there that work well, the best is a hot water pressure washer and a wide angle low pressure nozzle, I have one at work, it will remove excess dirt and almost all oil, stay a way from wires and use the spray of stuff on the top, I use the hot washer a few time a year on the undercarriage and the inside of the body panels as well.

Nice sig Eli ..... How ya been .....?

I use a spray on foam by Black Magic Leaves everything Shiny. Yea ya gotta wipe it down, worth the effort though.
Newest16.jpg

Jim

RB04 said:

yea i jus tried the black magic engine detail from maguiars and it works pretty dam good it was a 6 bucks well spent IMO made cleaning the engine bay a piece of cake

JimTeTe said:

I use a spray on foam by Black Magic Leaves everything Shiny. Yea ya gotta wipe it down, worth the effort though.
Newest16.jpg

Jim

Very nice:rock:

JimTeTe said:

Newest16.jpg

Jim

DAMMMNNNNN that looks killer.

How much foam and how much rubbing to do?
DId you hose off at all??
I take it it leaves an oily film residue behind?
Does it work on the greasy undercarriage area-oil pan and such i wonder?

Thanks Great Info
SHU

JimTeTe said:

Newest16.jpg

Jim

hey Jim did u paint ur brake fluid bottle black? sorry fopr the high jack.... it looks good

I think at the point you are at with a dirty compartment a good hot water pressure wash is the best thing to do. Then after it dries get yourself some Mothers Showtime cleaner. Spray everything down and wipe it clean to get rid of all the water marks and other dirt missed. Then maintain the clean look with the Mothers every so often. My engine bay was pretty messy too but I cleaned it up when my engine was removed. I will for sure keep up on the cleaning now though. Mine is going to be much easier to clean though as I have pretty much gutted the engine compartment.

what TE TE says. griffsrt uses that stuff too and it works wonders. been looking for it locally myself.

I wipe my engine bay off with a damp cloth. Been doing it since day one. No build up, no grease, no nothing...

My engine bay looks like the day it rolled off assembly line.

Just make sure if you are using any kind of water you avoid the alternator and any electrical wiring as much as you can. Kind of common sense, but it's not hard to get carried away. Just be careful and you'll be fine.

Coley 1334 said:
hey Jim did u paint ur brake fluid bottle black? sorry fopr the high jack.... it looks good

No prob. Coley .....

Yep painted the Brake res., Radiator res., Windshield wiper res. all gloss black and had some Brass covers turned to replace the yellow plastic stock ones. Kinda cleans it up a bit.

Thanks for the Compliments guys.

Jim

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back