Engine harness difference?

03viper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For a 6 speed or auto, is there a difference between the engine harnesses that would require one or the other?

I have an 06 Viper that I'm putting back together after someone gave up on the project, needs engine harness. I'm having rough time finding a reasonably priced used 05/06 engine harness, best price I've found is for an 05 QC harness. What would it take to get the auto harness to work with a T56?

you'll need the transmission harness and that's it, however, it's wired into the main engine harness and the ECU.

what are you doing for a computer?

also an 06 has knock sensors, so 05/06 harness will work.
04 harness will not work unless you have your knock sensors turned off (via SCT) or drill the block and install knock sensors (can be done, but you better know what you're doing).

the truth is, the t56 will work no matter what because it's purely mechanical. what you won't have (until you wire it in) is reverse lights, reverse lockout, and one other thing that's escaping me at the moment.

you say 06 viper, is it a car or a truck?

It's a car, but I know the car guys for most part aren't going to understand the difference between the T56 vs auto unless they have SRT10 RAM experience.

So, somewhere I need to tap the trans harness into the engine harness or should I just extend it separately and pin into the C104 plug?

I'm aware the 03/04 and 05/06 have different C104 plugs and the addition to knock sensors and different crank pos sensor in 05+.

For computer, I have the stock PCM for the 06.

Last edited:
You can use a QC harness boss as said. You'll use the back up signal on auto harness to tap into your t56. Easy
You don't need reverse lockout
Most don't work anyway

The auto plugs are different, but you can get those plugs bare and add the wires to look factory (in essence, building your own harness as if it were out of a 6spd).

I've done a few trucks and put that green car back together (sounds like a similar situation to yours - total basketcase).

It sounds like you're competent enough with wiring, I'd get the diagrams for both and do it as right as it could be and use some of the old auto wires.

Who have you talked to so far looking for parts?
I may have a bad harness - I need to look next time I get to the shop.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back