Exhaust Clip and Question

Tooloe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok heres an exhaust clip of my truck. with true dual 3" pipe with a H pipe right after the collecters into 10 series flowmasters....

My one question and it's not really a question but i'm freaking scared to death of that damn white smoke. the trucks still burning a little oil. and has been ever since the rebuild i had with A.R.T

but what are the causes of white smoke i know it's oil burning. and i'm pretty sure the rings are loose as they were set up loose but they should have seated by now.

If the video is not up yet please wait and watch it and let me know what you think!. thanks in advance. i'm just scared this F&^Ker is gonna blow up again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mP2Ozab81Y

O and sorry i just kinda threw this video together so there not really any editing in it

You let it idle for 2 minutes before you revved it. The smoke looks like unburned fuel to me. I know it is hard not to worry but I think it is OK.

Dude what white smoke? Maybe I was too hypnotized by how sick your truck sounds!! No I know your truck mostly sounds like that because of your cam but how much did you doing an H-pipe change the sound? But seriously I would say fuel or a small amount of oil...If it was a problem it would constantly smoke.....

Honestly the H pipe made it a little more quieter... maybe i'm just paranoid.. i'll have to see if i can get another video i didn't realize that this one doesn't really show any. hmmm i know the truck is still burning a little bit of oil. but nothing major.

Silly rabbit doing burnouts again...better clean that rubber of the rear quarters :)

Sounds sweet and I'm no mechanic but would agree on the unburned fuel

TNVIPER said:
what weight oil you using?

5w-20 at the moment.. have kinda been trying a few diffrent weights to see if it helps or makes the oil burn worse lol

Did you break the new engine in with synthetic oil? I have heard that you should put 1000 miles or so on with reg oil and then change to synthetic. Supposed to let the rings seat better.:dontknow: :dontknow:

FATJACK said:
Did you break the new engine in with synthetic oil? I have heard that you should put 1000 miles or so on with reg oil and then change to synthetic. Supposed to let the rings seat better.:dontknow: :dontknow:
used the reg oil.. i made sure to do that. David at A.R.T informed me of this so yes it was broke in properly and i promise i'm not knocking A.R.T i'd have another motor built there and prob will later on down the road. i think i'm just to anal... how ever i would like to do a leak down test sometime in the future

Tooloe said:
5w-20 at the moment.. have kinda been trying a few diffrent weights to see if it helps or makes the oil burn worse lol

Dang Tooloe....put 15/50 in and I bet your oil use will drop to almost zero......

What does it smell like? When mine was burning oil it smelled like sh*t. What pistons do you have? Were they sized for the motor or the motor bored to fit the pistons?

+1 on what does it smell like?
Have you driven it yet? Does it just smoke on a start up and go away after driving?
Also, a general rule is...
White smoke= (this can actually mean A LOT of things)
-It can possibly be oil, your answer to what it smells like will help a lot!! Does it smell like burning oil, or does it have kind of a sweet smell to it?
-Engine coolant/Antifreeze (could be a leaking or blown head gasket OR way worse scenario, a cracked head)
**If it's just during start up and goes away after driving it most likely could just be condensation on the combustion chambers.**
Blue smoke= Oil
Black smoke= Excess fuel
Grey smoke=I believe not enough fuel, but i'm not 100% sure. i'll get back to you.
My dad has been building motors and racing drag cars since i was 11 months old and has taught me a lot about figuring out what is wrong with your motor by just looking at the color/smell of the smoke coming from your vehicle.

Also, i know this may sound dumb, but check your oil level. If you overfilled your oil, that can also cause some white smoke.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back