Exhaust dropped off for powdercoat

NSDQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm lucky to have a powdercoat shop like 2 minutes from my apartment. It wasn't up and operational before I deployed but the guy is in full swing now. Took my headers/mids/catback and JTSVP TB today and he's going to powdercoat everything with high temp wrinkle black for just $450. Jet Hot wanted $405 just to do the headers. And this guy will have everything done by Friday or Monday, so no shipping to worry about and fast turn around. Will post pictures when it's done and I pick everything up.

I used some ultra high temp black paint on my stock headers because they looked rusty. Burned off first run

I used some ultra high temp black paint on my stock headers because they looked rusty. Burned off first run

This is powdercoat, not paint. Paint will absolutely cook off. But just look at all the parts that JMB powdercoats. They are all parts from areas that see high temps, ie, valve covers, brake calipers, etc, and they hold up just fine. High temp powdercoat works well, I'm not concerned about it. BTW, did you prep the headers or just spray right on them? That could have been the problem too.

This is powdercoat, not paint. Paint will absolutely cook off. But just look at all the parts that JMB powdercoats. They are all parts from areas that see high temps, ie, valve covers, brake calipers, etc, and they hold up just fine. High temp powdercoat works well, I'm not concerned about it. BTW, did you prep the headers or just spray right on them? That could have been the problem too.

Oh my bad dude I wasn't saying yours was not gonna work lol, just sharing my little experience. Yea I just sprayed it, no prep, nothing. You should be fine (I hope) but at that price its worth it to find out.

lol no worries man, I knew what you meant. Yeah you gotta prep the surface when you use paint or any coatings for that matter or else the paint/coating will latch onto imperfections above the surface of the actual part you are trying to coat and won't fully stick in places. Agree about the price. I was blown away when he said $450 for all of it. And I know he does great work. He powdercoats for the big Harley dealership up the street and has a bunch of bikes and other random things he's coated at his shop and they all look awesome.

Never seen high temp powder coat in wrinkle finish. I would be hesitant to work with a new powder coater who is saying it will last in exhaust. High silicon based powder coating for high temps are rated for 1000 degrees. Jet hot coating is good up to 2500 degrees. Not trying to discourage you but would strongly encourage you to research what he is offering and ask questions.

He's not new, he's been powdercoating for over 16 years. He just worked in a shop in the back of the Harley dealership and the dealership bought a building down the street that's bigger and can handle higher capacity and expand into other areas. Jet Hot is not entirely rated for 2500 degrees. They do have a coating for that high, but their base coat is 1300 and up with price going up with each level.

we'll see how it turns out and then how well it does when I get it installed and drive it and debate it at that point. all speculation right now until proven one way or the other. If it doesn't last, then lesson learned and send off to somewhere else, or have the guy redo it. If it does last, then great and I saved a ton of money over Jet Hot.

Good luck jason!! Send me pics when you get um!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Does powder coating cut down some of the heat from the exhaust manifolds?

So apparently the exhaust had some kind of coating on it from the factory (MBRP) and even after sandblasting it's not holding the powder. The shop is going to play with it this weekend and figure out how to get through the coating. He thinks too it could be a bad batch of powder. We'll see. He said the headers are done, though.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back