EXHAUST FLAME THROWER

Would you install an exhaust flame thrower on your truck?

• Hell yeah, is there a better way to signal tailgaters?

Votes: 23 42.6%
  • Hell no, I'm not getting ticket for this!

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • Maybe, if it was done safe and didnt hurt performance.

Votes: 20 37.0%

• Total voters

Infidel

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm new to the VTCOA forums after a member from the "other" forum told me about here. I have owned my truck for almost 2 years and have some light mods...

So, about a week ago I got a wild hair in my a$$ to wanna make my truck shoot exhaust flames! So I did a ton of research on how to build it, etc.
I built my own custom kit (let me know if you want to see pics) with three relays, two point condensers, 2 ballast resistors, 2 coils, 2 plugs, and a switch to the truck- It works awesome, you can see the plugs sparking away. I built my own because I did not want a prefabbed kit that temporarily kills your front coil packs/plugs to dump extra fuel- I refuse to compromise speed for it-

The only problem is...yeah, I have no flames! So, I decided to cut the last two cats off and straight pipe the exhaust thinking that would do the trick- still nothing. On a side note, after removing those last two cats, I felt a much better throttle response and (I swear) a slight HP increase....sounds bad as hell too.

Anyway, sorry for the novel guys-- I have searched and searched the threads and cant find any sort of help- So here are a couple of questions if ANYONE can help!

1. Do our trucks have fuel return lines?? If so I will look at splicing a NOS nozzle to the rear tail pipes w/ a solenoid at the junction....

2. When I removed the last two cats, I read somewhere that I would throw codes and to trick the PCM, reverse the order of the upstream and downstream o2 sensors. It works because I haven't had a code yet by doing it this way (note: I welded new bungs closer to the headers and put the downstream o2 sensors above the upstreams). Would this cause the truck to run leaner than normal?? Should I put them back in original order?

3. I have an SCT tuner and wondered if I could contact B&G for a custom "richer" tune...problem is I don't want it to run so rich that performance is degraded.....

4. Any other way for me to safely get the truck to run a little richer or get a dab of fuel into those pipes?
:burnout:
Please let me know if you have any questions, I think that is the most I have written in paragraph form since 9th grade- ugh i hated school.

Thanks in advance for all of your help, you guys rock!!!

Welcome:rock: Sounds pretty wicked... and yes we want pics... we always want pics:D Hope you get it figured out, and post some vid when you do

Welcome to the Club!

Hope you can get it to work! Gotta see the pics!!

You'd be better off putting a muffler on the exhaust then plumbing in a seperate holding tank-(windshield fluid storage tank) and plumb it back near the exhaust tips. you will also need 2 plugs, 2 coils, 2 ignition wires and a hd relay and hd switch. I would keep the system as a seperate system from your engine.

HaulinAsp said:
You'd be better off putting a muffler on the exhaust then plumbing in a seperate holding tank-(windshield fluid storage tank) and plumb it back near the exhaust tips. you will also need 2 plugs, 2 coils, 2 ignition wires and a hd relay and hd switch. I would keep the system as a seperate system from your engine.
exactly...or find a propane flame kit

Need to Clarify-

...First thanks for the input thus far- love that fact that (as of yet) no one voted HELL NO on the poll!! HAHA

I reread my thread and can see where it was unclear regarding the exhaust set up- I think HaulinASP interpreted it as I was truly straight piped from headers to tailpipe- I do have mufflers, Borla, but now have zero cats- the upper section is straight piped which is why I thought cutting them would get flames-

As for plumbing a separate fuel source, have contemplated this but i have heard that it makes insane flames....I was looking more for a 1 or 2 ft torch not a 20 ft bright-as-hell orange fireball hahaha- well, it would be nice but maybe not quite yet....

Anyone know if there is a fuel return line? im going to look into that a little more this PM......

Last edited:
I did this in a diesel truck that had stacks. I originally set it up for propane injection as I was already running propane as a power adder on the motor. The propane didn't give me the flame that I wanted, was more blue and less of a fire ball. I then added a seperate little fuel cell and used nitrous nozzles to inject the gas. Since these were in vertical pipes I left the propane in place and injected the gas higher in the pipe so that I had less chance of unburned fuel running down the stack since the propane burns so hot. It was perfect, never had a problem with it not lighting and threw a nice orange ball of fire.

For our trucks I'd use a seperate fuel cell in the bed with an inline fuel pump for a fuel injected motor, nitrous nozzels, two spark plugs, two coils, assorted relays and switches. Make sure you kit sparkers before hitting the gas. Also give it a healthy rev as you spray the gas to make it shoot out the back of the truck w/o melting the bumper. I'd only hit it in short bursts at not at speed cause of the plastic bumper.

Have fun and don't blow yourself up

Joe

First of all.. Welcome home. I have to warn you that there is absolutely no use in asking members here if they want to see pictures.. We ALWAYS want to see pictures... Which brings me to another question I am shocked no one asked yet.... Where are the pics of your truck? It's customary for newcomers of this forum to show off their ride(s) upon intro, so post 'em up dude! Now on to your flame thrower idea....

I always wondered about this but didn't ask because I assumed everyone would think I'd be so inclined as to rice out my SRTs.. Not hapnin'.. But still, I think blue flames shooting out the exhaust would (no pun intended) look hot. I am quite interested to see how your results turn out. Thanks for starting a thread on an interesting subject. For someone not used to writing a lot and hated school, you did great. BTW where are you from/located?:dontknow:

Last edited:
You guys are hilarious- So to not be punished any further, I'm working on some pics right now- will do a couple of the truck itself, then a few of the flame thrower kit I built-

It was actually a fun little project, working with the relays and stuff- have a lot of tips to give out if anyone wants....Im kinda stubborn and dont take these at face value so I "really" learned how these kits work.......except for the flame bit-

Only have about a week to get this working 'cuz Im leaving to work in a little shitake-hole country called Iraq- again.:rock:

Who is this freak>??

Tell me this guy doesn't look like he wants to shoot fire out of his truck!!!

Weller CAC Front alt.jpg

Alright, yeah I guess I look more like the unibomber ....haha

Last edited:
Okay, seriously, some real pics-

Heres the truck-

0116081420.jpg
0116081420a.jpg

Here is the cockpit.... Love where I installed the shift light, workked great. The red toggle switch is the one for the to-be flame thrower-

0616081506.jpg

In this pic, the two switches worked perfect to be mounted here- the red is for my radar detector (which is routed up to the right of the rear view mirror on the roof....they arent exactly legal here in Virgina! The green is for my tach and shift light.

0616081506a.jpg

Im going to see if this will post and will do the next thread with the kit parts-

Pictures of the flame thrower exhaust kit....

Alright, I don't have pics of every step but enough to get the idea- It looks worse than it really is....

I ran 12ga wire from battery to 30a fuse and left capped (it is installed on one of the relays). Then ran another 12ga wire from a switched ignition wire ( they're all over) thru the red toggle switch then out. Of course grounded it out....

0613081817b.jpg

Then I ran two 10ga wires from under the steering wheel to the back, adjacent the rear passenger side tire/frame. Here is where i installed two ballast resistors to prevent any current from the coils to go back to the cab (these were from a like a 1990 something, any ones will work).

0616081507.jpg

Next, I purchased two coils each for like 9 bucks and connected the wires from the ballast resistors to the positive on the coils....the negative of the coils is grounded. I couldn't get a picture of the coils because I put them in a sheet metal container and secured in the the frame in the far upper corner on the rear passenger side.

I originally had just drilled two hole in the pipes, just before the exhaust tip, then used a thread chaser to make the thread pattern...trust me, it doesn't work. So, I went to the local auto salvage with my spark plugs in hand and hacked off two o2 sensor bungs from a p.o.s. car. Then, I welded them in place with a MIG....I know, sloppy sloppy (you could take it to a shop and have them knock it out too).

0616081507a.jpg

Then to the kit. This is what will make the spark spark- If you didn't use the relays (trust me) when you hit the switch it will make the plugs spark once and that's it. the relays make it spark non stop while the switch is on. For this I used three 5 prong fuel pump relays from a late model something- Any vehicle will do as long as the relays have #30, 85, 86, 87, and 87a on it- I can give you a schematic of how to wire the relays. All of the relays run into two point condensers/capacitors. These allow you to run the switch longer without things heating up- trust me, you'll need them. Without, you start smelling something and figure out one of your wires melted down...Here are the pics- I picked up the box from radio crap, er, shack and some special 3m double sided tape to keep things locked down...

0613081806.jpg
0613081807.jpg
0613081817a.jpg

Once the relays are built, run the constant 12v to #30 on your first relay, the switched 12v to (Ill have to double check) #86, your ground wire to #85, two wires (one to each of the other relays) from #87- leave #87a alone for this one.

And that's where I'm at- the hard part, I think, is done. Now just need to get some d#@n flames!!!! Whattya guys think?

I think it's FREAKIN SICK!:rock: :rock: ...dude i want one lol right as you blow by the L's on thwe streets you can shoot them a little flame as you pass lol:burnout:

LMAO @ EMT/SRT's picture-

There were no votes for no until that pic was attached- haha

I think it would be pretty difficult to do that to my truck, at least the way I want to build it- I have read where guys have put the plugs too close to the mufflers (and other saying before the mufflers), others using the kits that kill the coil packs up front and flood the motor (which is exactly what I wont do).

My tips also extend past my bumper a few inches where as this schmucks rice rocket may had been flush or underneath. Theres no telling what he did to his car to make it do that- Rice burners just arent made to run like our trucks and good ole American muscle do....

I feel better telling myself that he was a moron with a p.o.s car that shouldnt have had turbo or nitrous to start with, much less trying to shoot flames!

Just bought some NOS octane booster and put the usual 93 octane in (at $99 to fill up, ugh)....also read that the pipes need to be hot....something I didnt do before- Will wait for it to get dark out and will let ya'll know!

Last edited:
When I removed both cats and had a Vec 2 tune on the truck pre super Charger, I was told by several people that they saw flames shoot out the back during decel!!:rock:

I was just giving ya hell, Infidel. I love to see flames come out of any kind of vehicle. I hope it works out. Shoot some flames and shoot us some video!

The plan is nuts and should work well. I'd have it done without a doubt. Just blue flames a few inches long would satisfy me.. And oh yeah, you never said where you are from.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back