Exhaust question

Hellcat Hauler

Reaction score
So,
My truck came with a muffler delete when I bought it, factory manifolds and cats were present. Was not a huge fan of the pops when down shifting. Installed a flowmaster dual in/out. Definitely tamed the sound and made it deep, not bad sounding, but took the viper feel away and I definitely felt a small power loss, especially up top. Was shocked at how hot this muffler got as well and how all the paint came off and it turned like rainbow titanium color.
Screenshot_20230523_212821_Chrome.jpg 51FTx8A9SgL.jpg

So 9 months later, I want to viper it up a little. Not wanting to spend $4-5k either.
Considered side exhaust, but just will not drill frame or body.
I chose to order JMB catless manifold back 3" pipes.

From there I have options;

-3" x pipe followed by 3" individual 4or5" diameter 14or18" magnaflow straight through mufflers

Screenshot_20240227_080950_Chrome.jpg

3529436591.jpg

Or

-3" dual in/out xpipe core magnaflow 5x11 muffler with custom tailpipes and tips

Screenshot_20240227_214233_Chrome.jpg

Or

-3" dual in/2.5" dual out xpipe core magnaflow 5x11 muffler with Factory tailpipes and tips

Screenshot_20240227_214515_Chrome.jpg

I am just looking for someone with experience on cat removal and playing with xpipe and mufflers, I do not want this to sound like crap or too ricey......
I have been all over youtube fyi....
Thanks for any help or advice,
Rob

@rottenronnie is a guru - he may have
Some input for you once he checks in

if you want to peruse some of his various insights Check out the thread titled Questions he has lots of different info on there covering different - well - Questions lol

I have magnaflows on mine but they are cat back due to restrictions in my state

People have post sound clips on here before , there may even be a thread on here for them .
Many installed the magna flows and a few installed the x-pipes . Many have done the cat delete or high flow cats . None of them sounded Ricey . Some with long tube and some with short tube headers , others went full dual exhaust, side exit exhaust and some added electric exhaust cutouts. Mine has 2 36 inch glass packs and the resonators were removed , if I remember the length correctly and it sounds great all other exhaust parts are stock. I get no drone noise in the cab at all .
Deleting the cats will throw a code due to the O2 sensors and you’ll need to have bungs installed to add the O2 sensors into the system . The high flow cats may be the solution to that . I agree with Wifey , Ronnie is the technical expert on here and can explain those things better …
Do you have a tune ? These trucks came from the factory with a rich fuel setting which is one reason the trucks had the popping sound and sooty black tailpipe exits .

I have magnaflows on mine but they are cat back due to restrictions in my state
I believe even in Wifey country that the High flow cats are legal :D

People have post sound clips on here before , there may even be a thread on here for them .
Many installed the magna flows and a few installed the x-pipes . Many have done the cat delete or high flow cats . None of them sounded Ricey . Some with long tube and some with short tube headers , others went full dual exhaust, side exit exhaust and some added electric exhaust cutouts. Mine has 2 36 inch glass packs and the resonators were removed , if I remember the length correctly and it sounds great all other exhaust parts are stock. I get no drone noise in the cab at all .
Deleting the cats will throw a code due to the O2 sensors and you’ll need to have bungs installed to add the O2 sensors into the system . The high flow cats may be the solution to that . I agree with Wifey , Ronnie is the technical expert on here and can explain those things better …
Do you have a tune ? These trucks came from the factory with a rich fuel setting which is one reason the trucks had the popping sound and sooty black tailpipe exits .

Hey, thanks for the response.

I am good, I do all my own work and tuning.
Just was looking on advice from someone that removed their cats and what setups worked the best and ESPECIALLY sounded the best. Not sure with these v10s and rasp, my viper has borla exhaust and is good. I like to build my exhaust so I can change mufflers if desired. Not to mention, these catbacks are rediculously priced now, so I can do my own for under half.
Rob

Hi Rob
I have had a full B&B setup with (4) Hi-Flows for years, as I'm partial to that particular sound.
I don't like pop on deceleration either, nor do I care for loud. Same with bikes...

I can't really offer an opinion on the sound of catless systems, because I won't run without them as I had enough of that smell driving late 60s/early 70s muscle cars, when they were new.
Modern cats offer very little restriction/performance penalty.

Tuning with the JTEC E.C.U. can be an adventure; Kudos to you!

Last edited:
Hey, thanks for the response.

I am good, I do all my own work and tuning.
Just was looking on advice from someone that removed their cats and what setups worked the best and ESPECIALLY sounded the best. Not sure with these v10s and rasp, my viper has borla exhaust and is good. I like to build my exhaust so I can change mufflers if desired. Not to mention, these catbacks are rediculously priced now, so I can do my own for under half.
Rob
I test drove a hemi ram when I first started looking for a new truck that had modified exhaust ,, damn the cab drone noise was so bad you couldn’t hear yourself think .. then I came across the SRT Rams and was immediately sold on one even though they sounded like a UPS TRUCK from outside the cab . The glass packs are much much better.
I also chased down a Viper one day due to the sound of his exhaust deep , strong load rumble .. no idea if he had any drone noise inside but sounded awesome outside driving after him . When he stopped I pulled up and asked him what exhaust ,,, He had the Borla . Definitely rumbled loud enough to get tickets though .

I test drove a hemi ram when I first started looking for a new truck that had modified exhaust ,, damn the cab drone noise was so bad you couldn’t hear yourself think .. then I came across the SRT Rams and was immediately sold on one even though they sounded like a UPS TRUCK from outside the cab . The glass packs are much much better.
I also chased down a Viper one day due to the sound of his exhaust deep , strong load rumble .. no idea if he had any drone noise inside but sounded awesome outside driving after him . When he stopped I pulled up and asked him what exhaust ,,, He had the Borla . Definitely rumbled loud enough to get tickets though .
Yes, I have borla on my viper, but it is side exhaust, it sounds like what a viper should sound like.
I ordered my magnaflow mufflers today.
I acquired a set of magnaflow 3" tailpipes with broken hangers and pipe damage last fall. I called magnaflow today, I may be able to get a new assembly under warranty..... lets hope, that will save me time and $, plus new bigger sexy tips.

Yes, I have borla on my viper, but it is side exhaust, it sounds like what a viper should sound like.
I acquired a set of magnaflow 3" tailpipes with broken hangers and pipe damage last fall. I called magnaflow today, I may be able to get a new assembly under warranty..... lets hope, that will save me time and $, plus new bigger sexy tips.
Great news! That would be very stand up of Magnaflow for sure!

Great news! That would be very stand up of Magnaflow for sure!
Looks like they are doing it, got an eta of 3/11 shipment on warranty tail pipes. Hate to wait two weeks, but magnaflow 3" with 4" tips are worth the weight. Kudos to magnaflow and a contact of mine that helped this happen.

Looks like they are doing it, got an eta of 3/11 shipment on warranty tail pipes. Hate to wait two weeks, but magnaflow 3" with 4" tips are worth the weight. Kudos to magnaflow and a contact of mine that helped this happen.
Absolutely KUDOS to Magnaflow! And yes worth the wait!

If I remember correctly the Magnaflow mufflers tended to have an internal baffle problem in the past. Rust bad weld or something over time . Somewhere on threads I believe are posts about that .. It was a long time ago posts so maybe Magnaflow fixed the problem .

If I remember correctly the Magnaflow mufflers tended to have an internal baffle problem in the past. Rust bad weld or something over time . Somewhere on threads I believe are posts about that .. It was a long time ago posts so maybe Magnaflow fixed the problem .
I think that was before they started using the x core muffler.

I think that was before they started using the x core muffler.
Maybe , I don’t know , but that problem kept me away from choosing the status quo on here at the time .

Last edited:
Easy! I like magnaflows! Haha

Back