Exhaust Talk v.24681012

Roz

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im beginning my journey and starting some research on some exhaust for the truck. I noticed the majority of you guys are running Magnaflow. Me? Personally, I "hate" the norm. I don't particularly care about being like everyone else. Don't get me wrong, I know the Magnaflow has to sound amazing.

Im pondering a "custom" setup. Back when I had my T/A it was "popular" (wasn't at first, but as more and more people did it became a common mod so to speak" to weld in a Dynomax Bullet in the intermediate pipe. I LOVED the sound/tone/volume the Bullet created. I'm kinda wondering what one, er well two would sound like on the truck. May do a Borla XR-1 muffler? I know I am rambling here so I will get to the point.

Many of guys do a total cat-back swap, or did you weld in a different muffler? What kind of exhaust tubing do these things have from the factory? I know another thing to do was get a particular catback for the f-body and replace the muffler with a different one to take advantage of the good piping a the first manufacturer offered. Again - rambling.

Sorry to be so long, but I really am looking to be different yet make some good power and create a killer sound. Any input and ideas are appreciated as well as ideas. Thanks in advance. Good grief that was a long winded post, sorry!

Chambered Mufflers: http://www.classicchambered.com/

Dynomax Bullets: http://store.summitracing.com/partd...4294923429+4294922711+400358+115&autoview=sku

Borla Xr-1's: http://www.borla.com/products/produ...cing+Exhaust|XR-1®+Racing+Bullet+Mufflers

Last edited:
the factory pipes are 2.5"

Welding in some bullets would rock....If I could do it all over again I would do it...

Nowwhat said:
the factory pipes are 2.5"

Welding in some bullets would rock....If I could do it all over again I would do it...

I'm in a toss up with some bullets, some borla xr-1's or some chambered bullets from back in the day . . .

Nowwhat said:

Any idea how that sounds ? I love the sound that my truck has now,but I am going to install hi-flow cats and something quieter this summer.I don't need the attention from the local State Troopers.They are just waiting to catch me.They are always involved with other tickets when I go by and I hide very quickly,but this will only last so long.So...............much as I hate to,I have to quieten it down some.

I imagine any bullet or straight through muffler will be the loudest. Less turbulence and deflection. Personally? I want pure in your face, raw loud.

iwantmysrt said:
I imagine any bullet or straight through muffler will be the loudest. Less turbulence and deflection. Personally? I want pure in your face, raw loud.

I do , too, BUT , I have rep for being loud and driving fast,so all the new troopers try to be the one to get me.I live in a small town and the county only has 4 traffic lights ! so it is hard to keep a low profile :D .I would like to just be able to go to town without having an "exit strategy" :D

So keep your reputable legend alive and let the beast exhale.

HOT RAM said:
I do , too, BUT , I have rep for being loud and driving fast,so all the new troopers try to be the one to get me.I live in a small town and the county only has 4 traffic lights ! so it is hard to keep a low profile :D .I would like to just be able to go to town without having an "exit strategy" :D

Its weird......cops in my area appreciate American rumble...whereas they seem to harrass the civics with the coffee cans...they never bother my truck or even more amazingly my vette...which is stupid loud...

around here they bother the fart cans and leave the muscle alone. my neighbor is a srgt. for a local town and he has a vette with the exhaust coming directly outta the headers.

The town police and county deputies never say anything unless you just ask for it by being stupid,but we have a State Police office in this county and they are all about writing tickets for any and everything.

Nowwhat said:
Its weird......cops in my area appreciate American rumble...whereas they seem to harrass the civics with the coffee cans...they never bother my truck or even more amazingly my vette...which is stupid loud...

Same here............they seem to love to ticket the import crowd, but enjoy the real muscle!!! Lots of cops with hot rod Mustangs here too. When I asked a cop I knew about not having my front plate installed his reply to me was, "no I dont care, unless your a #### in a honda"!!!!:D LOL

patrick

Nowwhat said:
I wish I could say that. I got pulled after downshifting because apparently the backrapping "indicates that you might have some illegal aftermarket hardware."

Back in my first truck I got a fix-it for straght piping my old 258 I6 but it did sound fart-can like, so I popped on a Cherrybomb and was safe ever since.

Stainless chambered? Hmmmmm... You guys are gonna git me in trouble...:D

I'm about to order some chambered muflers. I will let you guys know how it sounds as soon as I do. Think Im gonna try them with cats first go 'round them probably delete them if I like the sound.

Need some quick advice before I order. . . What length should I get? They range from 18" to 30". I'm thinking 24". . . ?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back