External Coolant Leak

spry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I was troubleshooting a recent coolant smell/leak and found what looks to be an external coolant leak from the passenger side head gasket on the back of the block. The motor did overheat driving the last time I had it out, but is running fine, and no coolant seems to have mixed into the oil. What do you guys think I should do, pull the heads and inspect the pistons, or should I get ready to pull everything apart and forge the bottom end? Anyone seen this before? :dontknow:

Seems like head gasket time and see what it looks like when heads are off. If money available of course why not forge it :D

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk

I like your style. If I forge, I guess there will be a new project thread coming up "soon", as I have slowly been working towards a road racing truck. Given our pistons are junk, is it even worth it to risk only replacing the head gasket, given it has overheated?

I like your style. If I forge, I guess there will be a new project thread coming up "soon", as I have slowly been working towards a road racing truck. Given our pistons are junk, is it even worth it to risk only replacing the head gasket, given it has overheated?
I'd say depends on how overheated. I think the heads would suffer more than the Pistons and rods would have.

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The gauge was generally bouncing between 210 and 260, depending on my speed. I don't remember it being pegged for very long. Will definitely attach some photos when I pull the heads.

My guess is that its just the head gaskets. Both of mine were leaking. When i pulled the heads the center and bottom bolts on the back of the head were loose.

Check your overflow hose on the rad neck. Mine was leaking & coolant blew back on the right side of the engine. Made it look like the head gasket was leaking.

Check your overflow hose on the rad neck. Mine was leaking & coolant blew back on the right side of the engine. Made it look like the head gasket was leaking.

That's where I focused for a while when I was originally checking things out. I assumed it would have been the hoses, as they are somewhat known to leak a little, but it's dry as a bone up there.

spry depending on how bad it overheated, yes you can just replace the head gaskets, but depending on how bad it overheated and the fact the head gasket is leaking if you want to do a full inspection make sure to inspect the bearings, heat will kill those, also the piston rings

spry depending on how bad it overheated, yes you can just replace the head gaskets, but depending on how bad it overheated and the fact the head gasket is leaking if you want to do a full inspection make sure to inspect the bearings, heat will kill those, also the piston rings

I'll probably be doing a forged bottom end, including gen I've bearings (or what you suggest), and will be getting a hold of you for those parts, and h/c/i. You've been very good to me in the past, which I appreciate very much. We'll be in touch.

That's where I focused for a while when I was originally checking things out. I assumed it would have been the hoses, as they are somewhat known to leak a little, but it's dry as a bone up there.

Mine didn't look like it was leaking either. Make sure that the hose is not split anywhere. Where the hose comes off the fitting it needs to go straight toward the engine for a few inches. Then curve it to the driver side like the letter P before putting it in the holder on the fan shroud. I always use a small zip tie as a hose clamp where the hose goes on the radiator neck.
Did you try pressure testing the cooling system?
Another tell tale sign of a head gasket leaking is bubbling in the overflow tank.

Mine didn't look like it was leaking either. Make sure that the hose is not split anywhere. Where the hose comes off the fitting it needs to go straight toward the engine for a few inches. Then curve it to the driver side like the letter P before putting it in the holder on the fan shroud. I always use a small zip tie as a hose clamp where the hose goes on the radiator neck.
Did you try pressure testing the cooling system?
Another tell tale sign of a head gasket leaking is bubbling in the overflow tank.

I'm going to double check this weekend and see what I find, thanks for the info!:rock: I "pressure tested" by running the engine and checking, but I didn't take it to have it tested. The overflow tank is currently dry, but I need to refill with more coolant before starting it up again.

I'm going to double check this weekend and see what I find, thanks for the info!:rock: I "pressure tested" by running the engine and checking, but I didn't take it to have it tested. The overflow tank is currently dry, but I need to refill with more coolant before starting it up again.

Is there a chance of hydro-lock when you start it up?

Is there a chance of hydro-lock when you start it up?

I don't see that being an issue, but I'm not entirely sure. I would think it would just spit it out depending on how much is leaking into the cylinder. With that being said, I'll do a preinspection on the hoses so it shouldn't need to idle very long. Can anyone else weigh in on this?

If your engine had a MASSIVE coolant leak into the combustion chamber it may be possible. Years ago I worked on a Dodge 2.2L with cooling system problems. Put water in & pumped up the pressure with my cooling system pressure tester. Had to do this a few times because the water/pressure kept disappearing. Eventually I found water leaking out the tail pipe. After replacing the head gasket & starting the engine water blew out the pipe like crazy. Lol (note;spark plugs were out & no water came out the holes)
The way to avoid hydro locking your engine during this test is to remove all the spark plugs. Especially before cranking the engine over. Water will blow out the plug hole if it's leaking into the combustion chamber. Just don't stand in front of it unless you need a bath. Ask me how I know. Lol

If your engine had a MASSIVE coolant leak into the combustion chamber it may be possible. Years ago I worked on a Dodge 2.2L with cooling system problems. Put water in & pumped up the pressure with my cooling system pressure tester. Had to do this a few times because the water/pressure kept disappearing. Eventually I found water leaking out the tail pipe. After replacing the head gasket & starting the engine water blew out the pipe like crazy. Lol (note;spark plugs were out & no water came out the holes)
The way to avoid hydro locking your engine during this test is to remove all the spark plugs. Especially before cranking the engine over. Water will blow out the plug hole if it's leaking into the combustion chamber. Just don't stand in front of it unless you need a bath. Ask me how I know. Lol

Haha. A personal coolant pressure wash is NOT on my bucket list.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back